Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Adrian Penisoara
Hi,

  I am working on a FreeBSD port for Oracle's XE database package[1] (Linux
binaries) and I stumbled upon some issues related to USE_LINUX_PREFIX.
Before going any further trying to support (as an option) installing the
Oracle XE directly under the /compat/linux hierarchy (like the
database/linux-oracle-instantclient-* ports are doing), I have to ask ask
around the following:

(1) Is there any real need/benefit to have an Oracle DB installation rooted
under /compat/linux (e.g. /compat/linux/usr/lib/oracle/xe/...) ? Side note:
in this case all shell scripts will need to be ran under
/compat/linux/bin/bash.

(2) How does one deal with installing manual pages and shared files with
USE_LINUX_PREFIX -- do they also have to go under /compat/linux ? Using
${MANPREFIX} as a template gives wrong results in this case...

PS: The port will try to install by default under /usr/lib/oracle/xe, per
Oracle's  Linux packaging specs (all of the shell/SQL scripts use this
hardcoded path).

Thank you for your time,
Adrian Penisoara
ROFUG / EnterpriseBSD

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Alexander Leidinger
Quoting "Adrian Penisoara" <[hidden email]> (Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:22:20 +0300):

> Hi,
>
>   I am working on a FreeBSD port for Oracle's XE database package[1] (Linux
> binaries) and I stumbled upon some issues related to USE_LINUX_PREFIX.
> Before going any further trying to support (as an option) installing the
> Oracle XE directly under the /compat/linux hierarchy (like the
> database/linux-oracle-instantclient-* ports are doing), I have to ask ask
> around the following:
>
> (1) Is there any real need/benefit to have an Oracle DB installation rooted
> under /compat/linux (e.g. /compat/linux/usr/lib/oracle/xe/...) ? Side note:
> in this case all shell scripts will need to be ran under
> /compat/linux/bin/bash.
>
> (2) How does one deal with installing manual pages and shared files with
> USE_LINUX_PREFIX -- do they also have to go under /compat/linux ? Using
> ${MANPREFIX} as a template gives wrong results in this case...

A port has to install into LINUXPREFIX, if it is an infrastructure
port (no part has to go outside this location). It has to install into
the default location (PREFIX/LOCALBASE), if it is an enduser port.
That's the easy part.

Now the classification, what is what, is the hard part. The linux
png/jpeg or whatever lib is for sure infrastructure. If this would land
in the default FreeBSD lib path, rest assured it would hurt. A linux
acroread port is an enduser application, a user will call it directly
to work with it. It also does not come with libs in the default FreeBSD
locations, so everything will be fine if it is installed in the default
location.

For the Oracle stuff I can imagine that it is a hard question. If it
doesn't put libs into a FreeBSD lib directory (a subdirectory of a lib
directory is ok, as it will not cause immediate problems), there are no
immediate objections to putting it into the default FreeBSD location
(and as the DBA as an enduser would use it, this would fit into the
description above). But we also have the rule that nothing is allowed
to be put into the basesystem (/usr/Y instead of /usr/local/Y). Think
about jails where the base is mounted read-only and only additional
programs are in a RW part.

In the end it comes down to what you are able to do and how hard the
software is to port. Maybe it is easy to install everything into
LINUXBASE and install a wrapper into LOCALBASE (/usr/local/bin/Y would
be a script with #!/compat/linux/bin/bash and start whatever is needed
to start /compat/linux/bin/Y). Maybe the installation of the software
allows to install into /usr/local/softwarename and you can make links
from /usr/local/bin/ to it.

The rules for this are strong suggestions. If it is possible to do,
do everything you can to follow the rules, if you don't know how to
make something follow the rules, ask specific questions on ports if
someone has in idea. If there's no idea, forget the rule and try to do
something as close as possible to the goal of the rule (and document
what/why).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Absolutely nothing in the world is friendlier than
a wet dog.

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Adrian Penisoara
Hi,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Alexander Leidinger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting "Adrian Penisoara" <[hidden email]> (Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:22:20
> +0300):
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I am working on a FreeBSD port for Oracle's XE database package[1]
> (Linux
> > binaries) and I stumbled upon some issues related to USE_LINUX_PREFIX.
> > Before going any further trying to support (as an option) installing the
> > Oracle XE directly under the /compat/linux hierarchy (like the
> > database/linux-oracle-instantclient-* ports are doing), I have to ask ask
> > around the following:
> >
> > (1) Is there any real need/benefit to have an Oracle DB installation
> rooted
> > under /compat/linux (e.g. /compat/linux/usr/lib/oracle/xe/...) ? Side
> note:
> > in this case all shell scripts will need to be ran under
> > /compat/linux/bin/bash.
> >
> > (2) How does one deal with installing manual pages and shared files with
> > USE_LINUX_PREFIX -- do they also have to go under /compat/linux ? Using
> > ${MANPREFIX} as a template gives wrong results in this case...
>
> A port has to install into LINUXPREFIX, if it is an infrastructure
> port (no part has to go outside this location). It has to install into
> the default location (PREFIX/LOCALBASE), if it is an enduser port.
> That's the easy part.

 Good pointer, I was missing this bit. Thanks.

> Now the classification, what is what, is the hard part. The linux
> png/jpeg or whatever lib is for sure infrastructure. If this would land
> in the default FreeBSD lib path, rest assured it would hurt. A linux
> acroread port is an enduser application, a user will call it directly
> to work with it. It also does not come with libs in the default FreeBSD
> locations, so everything will be fine if it is installed in the default
> location.
>
> For the Oracle stuff I can imagine that it is a hard question. If it
> doesn't put libs into a FreeBSD lib directory (a subdirectory of a lib
> directory is ok, as it will not cause immediate problems), there are no
> immediate objections to putting it into the default FreeBSD location
> (and as the DBA as an enduser would use it, this would fit into the
> description above). But we also have the rule that nothing is allowed
> to be put into the basesystem (/usr/Y instead of /usr/local/Y). Think
> about jails where the base is mounted read-only and only additional
> programs are in a RW part.

  In the default configuration the binaries (and I mean all of them!) would
be placed under /usr/lib/oracle, since this is a hardcoded path in all
places.
  I will also offer a "WITH_BSDHIER" option which will root the installation
into /usr/local/oracle and just make a symlink under /usr/lib. Should I
rather make this the default ? ;)

  There are no libraries (or other binaries for that fact) installed outside
the Oracle hierarchy (this is the general strategy for Oracle RDBMS products
at least). So I guess it very nicely fits into the "enduser" picture you
describe above. I'm just wandering whether a /compat/linux rooted
installation would make sense.

  I am still interested to hear opinions from Oracle DBAs/users on this
subject -- would you need this option ?

> In the end it comes down to what you are able to do and how hard the
> software is to port. Maybe it is easy to install everything into
> LINUXBASE and install a wrapper into LOCALBASE (/usr/local/bin/Y would
> be a script with #!/compat/linux/bin/bash and start whatever is needed
> to start /compat/linux/bin/Y). Maybe the installation of the software
> allows to install into /usr/local/softwarename and you can make links
> from /usr/local/bin/ to it.
>
> The rules for this are strong suggestions. If it is possible to do,
> do everything you can to follow the rules, if you don't know how to
> make something follow the rules, ask specific questions on ports if
> someone has in idea. If there's no idea, forget the rule and try to do
> something as close as possible to the goal of the rule (and document
> what/why).
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

Thank you for your time.
Adrian.

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Chagin Dmitry
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Adrian Penisoara wrote:

> [...]
>> about jails where the base is mounted read-only and only additional
>> programs are in a RW part.
>

>  In the default configuration the binaries (and I mean all of them!) would
> be placed under /usr/lib/oracle, since this is a hardcoded path in all
> places.
>  I will also offer a "WITH_BSDHIER" option which will root the installation
> into /usr/local/oracle and just make a symlink under /usr/lib. Should I
> rather make this the default ? ;)
>
>  There are no libraries (or other binaries for that fact) installed outside
> the Oracle hierarchy (this is the general strategy for Oracle RDBMS products
> at least). So I guess it very nicely fits into the "enduser" picture you
> describe above. I'm just wandering whether a /compat/linux rooted
> installation would make sense.
>
>  I am still interested to hear opinions from Oracle DBAs/users on this

hi!

I think that ora DBAs will tell that the best place it
/home/ORAUSERNAME
and this user should have shell /compat/linux/bin/bash

thnx!

>> In the end it comes down to what you are able to do and how hard the
>> software is to port. Maybe it is easy to install everything into
>> LINUXBASE and install a wrapper into LOCALBASE (/usr/local/bin/Y would
>> be a script with #!/compat/linux/bin/bash and start whatever is needed
>> to start /compat/linux/bin/Y). Maybe the installation of the software
>> allows to install into /usr/local/softwarename and you can make links
>> from /usr/local/bin/ to it.
>>
>> The rules for this are strong suggestions. If it is possible to do,
>> do everything you can to follow the rules, if you don't know how to
>> make something follow the rules, ask specific questions on ports if
>> someone has in idea. If there's no idea, forget the rule and try to do
>> something as close as possible to the goal of the rule (and document
>> what/why).
>>
>> Bye,
>> Alexander.
>>

> Thank you for your time.
> Adrian.

Have fun!
chd

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

mato
Chagin Dmitry wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Alexander Leidinger <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting "Adrian Penisoara" <[hidden email]> (Sun, 27 Jul 2008
>>> 11:22:20
>>> +0300):

>>> (Linux

>>> rooted
>>> note:

>>> A port has to install into LINUXPREFIX, if it is an infrastructure
>>> port (no part has to go outside this location). It has to install into
>>> the default location (PREFIX/LOCALBASE), if it is an enduser port.
>>> That's the easy part.
>>

>> Good pointer, I was missing this bit. Thanks.
>>

>>> Now the classification, what is what, is the hard part. The linux
>>> png/jpeg or whatever lib is for sure infrastructure. If this would land
>>> in the default FreeBSD lib path, rest assured it would hurt. A linux
>>> acroread port is an enduser application, a user will call it directly
>>> to work with it. It also does not come with libs in the default FreeBSD
>>> locations, so everything will be fine if it is installed in the default
>>> location.
>>>
>>> For the Oracle stuff I can imagine that it is a hard question. If it
>>> doesn't put libs into a FreeBSD lib directory (a subdirectory of a lib
>>> directory is ok, as it will not cause immediate problems), there are no
>>> immediate objections to putting it into the default FreeBSD location
>>> (and as the DBA as an enduser would use it, this would fit into the
>>> description above). But we also have the rule that nothing is allowed
>>> to be put into the basesystem (/usr/Y instead of /usr/local/Y). Think
>>> about jails where the base is mounted read-only and only additional
>>> programs are in a RW part.
>>

>>  In the default configuration the binaries (and I mean all of them!)
>> would
>> be placed under /usr/lib/oracle, since this is a hardcoded path in all
>> places.
>>  I will also offer a "WITH_BSDHIER" option which will root the
>> installation
>> into /usr/local/oracle and just make a symlink under /usr/lib. Should I
>> rather make this the default ? ;)
>>
>>  There are no libraries (or other binaries for that fact) installed
>> outside
>> the Oracle hierarchy (this is the general strategy for Oracle RDBMS
>> products
>> at least). So I guess it very nicely fits into the "enduser" picture you
>> describe above. I'm just wandering whether a /compat/linux rooted
>> installation would make sense.
>>
>>  I am still interested to hear opinions from Oracle DBAs/users on this
>> subject -- would you need this option ?
>>

> hi!
>
> I think that ora DBAs will tell that the best place it /home/ORAUSERNAME
> and this user should have shell /compat/linux/bin/bash
>
> thnx!

Hi,

No Oracle installation I have ever seen was installed into /home and it
would be against Oracle Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) guidelines!

/usr/local/oracle would be OK and users can move the directory tree
elsewhere afterwards.  Or maybe you can ask about Oracle Base directory
during config/installation process, if possible.

Cheers,

Martin

PS: Mind you that Oracle installation is usually owned by Oracle
software owner user (oinstall by default) who is different from
DBA/operator users (dba/oper by default).

>>> In the end it comes down to what you are able to do and how hard the
>>> software is to port. Maybe it is easy to install everything into
>>> LINUXBASE and install a wrapper into LOCALBASE (/usr/local/bin/Y would
>>> be a script with #!/compat/linux/bin/bash and start whatever is needed
>>> to start /compat/linux/bin/Y). Maybe the installation of the software
>>> allows to install into /usr/local/softwarename and you can make links
>>> from /usr/local/bin/ to it.
>>>
>>> The rules for this are strong suggestions. If it is possible to do,
>>> do everything you can to follow the rules, if you don't know how to
>>> make something follow the rules, ask specific questions on ports if
>>> someone has in idea. If there's no idea, forget the rule and try to do
>>> something as close as possible to the goal of the rule (and document
>>> what/why).
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Alexander.
>>>

>> Thank you for your time.
>> Adrian.

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Thierry Thomas
Le Mar 21 oct 08 à 22:09:44 +0200, martinko <[hidden email]>
 écrivait :

> Hi,

Hello,

> No Oracle installation I have ever seen was installed into /home and it
> would be against Oracle Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) guidelines!

Agreed.

> /usr/local/oracle would be OK and users can move the directory tree
> elsewhere afterwards.  Or maybe you can ask about Oracle Base directory
> during config/installation process, if possible.

I would suggest to install under $ORACLE_HOME, defaulted to:

ORACLE_HOME?=   ${PREFIX}/oracle

(or may be ${PREFIX}/oracle${VERSION} to allow the installation of
different versions)

Th. Thomas.

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Adrian Penisoara-2
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM, martinko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thierry Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Le Mar 21 oct 08 à 22:09:44 +0200, martinko <[hidden email]>
>>  écrivait :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> No Oracle installation I have ever seen was installed into /home and it
>>> would be against Oracle Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) guidelines!
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> /usr/local/oracle would be OK and users can move the directory tree
>>> elsewhere afterwards.  Or maybe you can ask about Oracle Base directory
>>> during config/installation process, if possible.
>>
>> I would suggest to install under $ORACLE_HOME, defaulted to:
>>
>> ORACLE_HOME?=   ${PREFIX}/oracle
>>
>> (or may be ${PREFIX}/oracle${VERSION} to allow the installation of
>> different versions)

I have used a similar schema for the prefixing part, just used a
different variable name. Do not confuse this with the ORACLE_HOME
environment used by Oracle, what we set here is closer to the idea of
ORACLE_BASE.

We should not use a version field in this variable since the product
version signature is further in the path (see below).

>> Regards,
>
> Hallo,
>
> Well, it's a bit more complicated than that..
>
> OFA guidelines say that $ORACLE_HOME shoud be in the form of e.g.
> $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0/db_1
>
> And application (DB) is installed into its $ORACLE_HOME and thus one can
> have many different installations of many different versions.
>
> Then there are other directories under $ORACLE_BASE that usually contain
> Oracle Inventory (of installed software) and DB data files etc.
>
> Usually everything under $ORACLE_BASE is created and taken care by Oracle
> Universal Installer (which is Java application).

Right. See above.

> Another issue may be where to place oratab file.  It is located in
> /var/opt/oracle/oratab on SunOS and in /etc/oratab on other Unixes.

The OracleXE packages have a hardcoded value for /etc/oratab. I'm
going to leave it this way for the sake of compatibility.

 One more question: how usefull would it be to use the Linux (Bash)
shell instead of a native (FreeBSD) shell ?

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm closer to the completion of the port.
Adrian.

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Adrian Penisoara-2
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:13 AM, martinko <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

>>  One more question: how usefull would it be to use the Linux (Bash)
>> shell instead of a native (FreeBSD) shell ?
>>

> I'm not sure.  I think using our (native) bash would be OK.  On the
> other hand if linux bash is usually installed with linux_base or other
> common linux port we could use it.  Or maybe we could use linux
> version if available and fall back to native version otherwise, if it
> is doable of course.  I would recommend asking someone who ported a
> few linux apps dependent on bash.

 Actually I was hoping for some feedback from people effectively using
Oracle[XE] on FreeBSD. Anyone ?

>> Thank you for your suggestions, I'm closer to the completion of the port.
>> Adrian.
>>

> Thank you for doing this!
>
> And btw what about standard Oracle RDBMS port ?

  The full blown Oracle RDBMS server has a standalone Java installer
(the Oracle Universal Installer) and the Oracle DBA's are accustomed
deploying it this way.
  On the other hand the Oracle installation tutorial in the FreeBSD
ports could use some "freshening up" for newer versions. I will look
into installing Oracle RDBMS after finishing up the OracleXE port(s).

Regards,
Adrian.

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Scott T. Hildreth-2
On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 22:14 +0100, Adrian Penisoara wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:13 AM, martinko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >>  One more question: how usefull would it be to use the Linux (Bash)
> >> shell instead of a native (FreeBSD) shell ?
> >>

> > I'm not sure.  I think using our (native) bash would be OK.  On the
> > other hand if linux bash is usually installed with linux_base or other
> > common linux port we could use it.  Or maybe we could use linux
> > version if available and fall back to native version otherwise, if it
> > is doable of course.  I would recommend asking someone who ported a
> > few linux apps dependent on bash.
>
>  Actually I was hoping for some feedback from people effectively using
> Oracle[XE] on FreeBSD. Anyone ?

  Sorry, I haven't read through the whole thread.  I am not exactly sure
  what you are looking for, so I will just let you know how I run Oracle
  on FreeBSD.  I haven't run an install since 8.x.x, since they went to
  the Java installer.  I could never get it to stop locking up.  So I
  copied a 9.2 directory from one of our linux servers.  We install in
  the standard /u01/app/oracle/product/, I put the directory structure
  in /usr and created a /u01 link.  The oracle user on my system does
  have the linux bash as its default shell, I only use this userid for
  running CreateDBs.  Everything works great running with my standard
  userid and I also install gqlplus & sqldeveloper (very useful). I have
  a start up script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, which starts up the listener
  and the db.  I haven't had a need to upgrade to 10.x, but I am going
  to soon.  Hope this isn't completely useless info for you. :-)

> >> Thank you for your suggestions, I'm closer to the completion of the port.
> >> Adrian.
> >>

> > Thank you for doing this!
> >
> > And btw what about standard Oracle RDBMS port ?
>
>   The full blown Oracle RDBMS server has a standalone Java installer
> (the Oracle Universal Installer) and the Oracle DBA's are accustomed
> deploying it this way.
>   On the other hand the Oracle installation tutorial in the FreeBSD
> ports could use some "freshening up" for newer versions. I will look
> into installing Oracle RDBMS after finishing up the OracleXE port(s).
>
> Regards,
> Adrian.

Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Adrian Penisoara
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Scott T. Hildreth
<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

>>  Actually I was hoping for some feedback from people effectively using
>> Oracle[XE] on FreeBSD. Anyone ?
>
>  Sorry, I haven't read through the whole thread.  I am not exactly sure
>  what you are looking for, so I will just let you know how I run Oracle
>  on FreeBSD.  I haven't run an install since 8.x.x, since they went to
>  the Java installer.  I could never get it to stop locking up.  So I
>  copied a 9.2 directory from one of our linux servers.  We install in
>  the standard /u01/app/oracle/product/, I put the directory structure
>  in /usr and created a /u01 link.  The oracle user on my system does
>  have the linux bash as its default shell, I only use this userid for
>  running CreateDBs.  Everything works great running with my standard
>  userid and I also install gqlplus & sqldeveloper (very useful). I have
>  a start up script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, which starts up the listener
>  and the db.  I haven't had a need to upgrade to 10.x, but I am going
>  to soon.  Hope this isn't completely useless info for you. :-)

  Yes, it helps. So I will keep the option to offer a Linux Bash shell
for the oracle user.

  Question is whether I should make it default the Linux bash shell or
a FreeBSD shell ?

Thank you,
Adrian.