Q on types of xen virtualization

bv_arvind
Hi,

I use a version of Freebsd 7 for my work and I was able to brint it up in
Open xen 4.2 However the, OS version I use does not have any xen related
files in it (no xen device folder, no xen folder in sys.., no change to the
kernel config either) But the server we use supports virtualization. So is
the mode that we are currently working in referred to as pure HVM ? I also
hear about PV HVM and purely PV. I guess in PV HVM, we use a XEN
configuration file and run on a machine supporting virtualization and
currently 64 bit machines can only be run this way ? Can some one confirm
if my understanding is right.
Thanks
arvind

Re: Q on types of xen virtualization

Sean Bruno-5
On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 16:30 -0700, arvind viswanathan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use a version of Freebsd 7 for my work and I was able to brint it up in
> Open xen 4.2 However the, OS version I use does not have any xen related
> files in it (no xen device folder, no xen folder in sys.., no change to the
> kernel config either) But the server we use supports virtualization. So is
> the mode that we are currently working in referred to as pure HVM ? I also
> hear about PV HVM and purely PV. I guess in PV HVM, we use a XEN
> configuration file and run on a machine supporting virtualization and
> currently 64 bit machines can only be run this way ? Can some one confirm
> if my understanding is right.
> Thanks
> arvind

For full PV support, you can only use a 32bit version of FreeBSD 8 and
higher via the XEN kernel config.

For HVM mode you can use 64bit FreeBSD 8 and higher with the XENHVM
kernel config.  There is no PV support in 64bit mode at this time.

Sean