Question: Setting display dimensions

Jukka A. Ukkonen

Hello all,

Recently I bought a small HDMI connected 1024x600 pixels TFT
display. It seems that 11-stable does not find the correct dimensions
automatically. The kernel apparently assumes the display to be far
larger than it actually is and a lot of text simply disappears below
the lower edge of the screen. So, I assumed there might be some
method to tell the kernel the default dimensions to use when it fails
to confirm the actual values from the display device itself.

Now I would like to check whether I am interpreting things correctly.
Apparently there is kernel MIB variable for this purpose on 12.x series
(kern.vt.fb.default_mode) but not on 11.x. If this is true, I would like to
understand why is the feature not available on 11-stable as well?
Have I understood the meaning of the default_mode variable correctly
for 12.x and will it work properly for a 1024x600 display?

Moving over to 12-stable will not be a big issue on a new system, if
that is necessary, but I would like to avoid taking the effort of upgrade
unless I can be relatively sure it will solve my problem.

--jau

Re: Question: Setting display dimensions

Michael Schuster
Hi,

I think it'd help if you let us know whether you're talking about console
mode or X-Window ...
(and no, I have no idea off hand what to do in either case ... but perhaps
someone who does will be more willing to jump in when more information is
provided)

regards
Michael

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:45 AM Jukka Ukkonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Recently I bought a small HDMI connected 1024x600 pixels TFT
> display. It seems that 11-stable does not find the correct dimensions
> automatically. The kernel apparently assumes the display to be far
> larger than it actually is and a lot of text simply disappears below
> the lower edge of the screen. So, I assumed there might be some
> method to tell the kernel the default dimensions to use when it fails
> to confirm the actual values from the display device itself.
>
> Now I would like to check whether I am interpreting things correctly.
> Apparently there is kernel MIB variable for this purpose on 12.x series
> (kern.vt.fb.default_mode) but not on 11.x. If this is true, I would like to
> understand why is the feature not available on 11-stable as well?
> Have I understood the meaning of the default_mode variable correctly
> for 12.x and will it work properly for a 1024x600 display?
>
> Moving over to 12-stable will not be a big issue on a new system, if
> that is necessary, but I would like to avoid taking the effort of upgrade
> unless I can be relatively sure it will solve my problem.
>
> --jau

Michael Schuster
http://recursiveramblings.wordpress.com/
recursion, n: see 'recursion'

On 2019-09-24 11:52, Michael Schuster wrote:

> I think it'd help if you let us know whether you're talking
> about console mode or X-Window ...
> (and no, I have no idea off hand what to do in either case ... but
> perhaps someone who does will be more willing to jump in when more
> information is provided)

Oops... My bad. I really should have mentioned that I was thinking
of the VT console.