RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

John Baldwin
From the bikeshed department....

The change at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15481 would create a default
wlan for wireless NICs by default.  The default wlan's ifnet name would
match the name of the adapter (e.g. "iwn0").  Existing configurations
would still be honored and people who need multiple wlan devices can
still do so using existing configuration variables in rc.conf, etc.

However, the out of the box experience on a new machine would be that
'ifconfig iwn0' would Just Work(tm) for wireless NICs as it does now for
wired NICs, and you could just use 'ifconfig_iwn0="WPA DHCP"' in rc.conf.
I think this is more consistent with how we present NICs to users in
general.

--
John Baldwin

Re: RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

Warner Losh
On Fri, May 25, 2018, 3:29 PM John Baldwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From the bikeshed department....
>
> The change at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15481 would create a default
> wlan for wireless NICs by default.  The default wlan's ifnet name would
> match the name of the adapter (e.g. "iwn0").  Existing configurations
> would still be honored and people who need multiple wlan devices can
> still do so using existing configuration variables in rc.conf, etc.
>
> However, the out of the box experience on a new machine would be that
> 'ifconfig iwn0' would Just Work(tm) for wireless NICs as it does now for
> wired NICs, and you could just use 'ifconfig_iwn0="WPA DHCP"' in rc.conf.
> I think this is more consistent with how we present NICs to users in

Love it.

Warner

Re: RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

Eitan Adler-4
On 25 May 2018 at 14:36, Warner Losh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2018, 3:29 PM John Baldwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From the bikeshed department....
>>
>> The change at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15481 would create a default
>> wlan for wireless NICs by default.  The default wlan's ifnet name would
>> match the name of the adapter (e.g. "iwn0").  Existing configurations
>> would still be honored and people who need multiple wlan devices can
>> still do so using existing configuration variables in rc.conf, etc.
>>
>> However, the out of the box experience on a new machine would be that
>> 'ifconfig iwn0' would Just Work(tm) for wireless NICs as it does now for
>> wired NICs, and you could just use 'ifconfig_iwn0="WPA DHCP"' in rc.conf.
>> I think this is more consistent with how we present NICs to users in
>>

> Love it.

Yes please!

--
Eitan Adler

Re: RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> >From the bikeshed department....
>
> The change at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15481 would create a default
> wlan for wireless NICs by default.  The default wlan's ifnet name would
> match the name of the adapter (e.g. "iwn0").  Existing configurations
> would still be honored and people who need multiple wlan devices can
> still do so using existing configuration variables in rc.conf, etc.
>
> However, the out of the box experience on a new machine would be that
> 'ifconfig iwn0' would Just Work(tm) for wireless NICs as it does now for
> wired NICs, and you could just use 'ifconfig_iwn0="WPA DHCP"' in rc.conf.
> I think this is more consistent with how we present NICs to users in
> general.

Yes, Blue Please, with a red stripe.  :)

I asked about documentation in the review, but about all I can
find is:
/etc/defaults/rc.conf:
#wlans_ath0="wlan0"               # wlan(4) interfaces for ath0 device

There is probably stuff in the wiki that would need updated though.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

On 5/25/18 5:08 PM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>> >From the bikeshed department....
>>
>> The change at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15481 would create a default
>> wlan for wireless NICs by default.  The default wlan's ifnet name would
>> match the name of the adapter (e.g. "iwn0").  Existing configurations
>> would still be honored and people who need multiple wlan devices can
>> still do so using existing configuration variables in rc.conf, etc.
>>
>> However, the out of the box experience on a new machine would be that
>> 'ifconfig iwn0' would Just Work(tm) for wireless NICs as it does now for
>> wired NICs, and you could just use 'ifconfig_iwn0="WPA DHCP"' in rc.conf.
>> I think this is more consistent with how we present NICs to users in
>> general.
>
> Yes, Blue Please, with a red stripe.  :)
>
> I asked about documentation in the review, but about all I can
> find is:
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
> #wlans_ath0="wlan0"               # wlan(4) interfaces for ath0 device
>
> There is probably stuff in the wiki that would need updated though.

I think there are also installer bits that could be simplified.  Right now
the installer has to use a special sysctl to identify wireless NICs so
it can add them to the list of NICs, etc.  It also then creates wlan_foo
variables in rc.conf.  That would need to be updated for this change as well.

--
John Baldwin

Re: RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

Joel Dahl-3
On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 02:28:42PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> From the bikeshed department....
>
> The change at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15481 would create a default
> wlan for wireless NICs by default.  The default wlan's ifnet name would
> match the name of the adapter (e.g. "iwn0").  Existing configurations
> would still be honored and people who need multiple wlan devices can
> still do so using existing configuration variables in rc.conf, etc.
>
> However, the out of the box experience on a new machine would be that
> 'ifconfig iwn0' would Just Work(tm) for wireless NICs as it does now for
> wired NICs, and you could just use 'ifconfig_iwn0="WPA DHCP"' in rc.conf.
> I think this is more consistent with how we present NICs to users in
> general.

Yes. Do it. :-)

--
Joel

Re: RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

Adrian Chadd-4
Lol. :-)

The main change here is people having to unlearn wlanX being the device and
things are now named dependent on your hardware type.

I mean, ok ok it could just be like freebsd-4 or whatever, pre-vap support.
:-)

(do it!)

-adrian

Re: RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

Adam Vande More
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 9:28 PM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Lol. :-)
>
> The main change here is people having to unlearn wlanX being the device and
> things are now named dependent on your hardware type.
>
> I mean, ok ok it could just be like freebsd-4 or whatever, pre-vap support.
> :-)
>
> (do it!)
>

> -adrian

I like this change.  Having my network device reflect the driver name is
useful and makes it more consistent.

--
Adam

Re: RFC: Create a default wlan for wireless NICs

Lars Engels
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 07:28:44PM -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Lol. :-)
>
> The main change here is people having to unlearn wlanX being the device and
> things are now named dependent on your hardware type.
>
> I mean, ok ok it could just be like freebsd-4 or whatever, pre-vap support.
> :-)
>
> (do it!)

The problem I see is that a couple of tools / scripts in ports do expect
a "wlan0" device to be the first wireless device and will stop working
after the change.