RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
sVx
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

sVx
Hi,

I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine but I would like to expand the root slice (the only slice)
over the full disk space but I cannot enter single user mode.

Un-commenting in /etc/rc.conf 'growfs_enable="YES"' and rebooting has no
effect. So I tried the manual way via `gpart resize /dev/mmcsd0s2` but
growfs(8) cannot expand root because root is mounted -- I guess. So I
tried `init 1` which just directly freezes the system as well as
`nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel` which hangs right after detecting the
keyboard. Guess in both cases it just freezes.

Don't know what are the dos and doen'ts for mailing lists and I
felt uncomfortable to put the full dmesg into the email. So I've
uploaded it here so far to http://textuploader.com/dku3j (So in case
you expect it to be directly on the mailing list I can still send it.)
Don't know what else to supply because I cannot even see a core dump.
(Only checked in root directory.)

Anyway for obvious reasons the dmesg is from from multiuser but I Could
supply a real screen shot for example.

How do you proceed  from here or what do I miss maybe?

Best regards
sVx
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

bob prohaska
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 04:34:03PM +0200, sVx wrote:
> I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
> 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine but I would like to expand the root slice (the only slice)
> over the full disk space but I cannot enter single user mode.
>
Far as I know single user requires a serial console. I'd be pleased to
learn I'm wrong.

hth,

bob prohaska

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

Karl Denninger

On 7/13/2017 09:57, bob prohaska wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 04:34:03PM +0200, sVx wrote:
>> I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
>> 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine but I would like to expand the root slice (the only slice)
>> over the full disk space but I cannot enter single user mode.
>>
> Far as I know single user requires a serial console. I'd be pleased to
> learn I'm wrong.
>
>
That is correct; you need a serial console cable both for single-user
and to interact with the boot process, should it be necessary (e.g.
problems that prevent coming up in multiuser, such as a corrupt SD card
that fdisk cannot automatically fix, issues that preclude reading the
card or the slice table normally, bad /etc/fstab file, etc)

--
Karl Denninger
[hidden email]
/The Market Ticker/



smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

Carl Johnson
In reply to this post by sVx
sVx <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
> 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine
> but I would like to expand the root slice (the only slice)
> over the full disk space but I cannot enter single user mode.
>
> Un-commenting in /etc/rc.conf 'growfs_enable="YES"' and rebooting has no
> effect. So I tried the manual way via `gpart resize /dev/mmcsd0s2` but
> growfs(8) cannot expand root because root is mounted -- I guess. So I
> tried `init 1` which just directly freezes the system as well as
> `nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel` which hangs right after detecting the
> keyboard. Guess in both cases it just freezes.
>
> Don't know what are the dos and doen'ts for mailing lists and I
> felt uncomfortable to put the full dmesg into the email. So I've
> uploaded it here so far to http://textuploader.com/dku3j (So in case
> you expect it to be directly on the mailing list I can still send it.)
> Don't know what else to supply because I cannot even see a core dump.
> (Only checked in root directory.)
>
> Anyway for obvious reasons the dmesg is from from multiuser but I Could
> supply a real screen shot for example.
>
> How do you proceed  from here or what do I miss maybe?

I think that you need a serial console as somebody already mentioned,
but I think that you can force firstboot actions.  I think that you can
just create a /firstboot file and reboot.  The growfs operation should
run as long as you have the growfs_enable still enabled.  I don't know
any of this, but it should be easy to test.

--
Carl Johnson [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

Guangyuan Yang
In reply to this post by sVx
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:34:03 AM EDT sVx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
> 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine but I
> would like to expand the root slice (the only slice) over the full disk
> space but I cannot enter single user mode.
>
> Un-commenting in /etc/rc.conf 'growfs_enable="YES"' and rebooting has no
> effect. So I tried the manual way via `gpart resize /dev/mmcsd0s2` but
> growfs(8) cannot expand root because root is mounted -- I guess. So I
> tried `init 1` which just directly freezes the system as well as
> `nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel` which hangs right after detecting the
> keyboard. Guess in both cases it just freezes.

Can confirm that 'growfs_enable=YES' is not working properly on RaspBSD.
Instead, running a 'service growfs onestart' worked for me:

root@rpi3:~ # service growfs onestart
Growing root partition to fill device
GEOM_PART: mmcsd0s2 was automatically resized.
  Use `gpart commit mmcsd0s2` to save changes or `gpart undo mmcsd0s2` to
revert them.
mmcsd0s2 resized
mmcsd0s2a resized
super-block backups (for fsck_ffs -b #) at:
 3705024, 4631232, 5557440, 6483648, 7409856, 8336064, 9262272, 10188480,
 11114688, 12040896, 12967104, 13893312, 14819520, 15745728, 16671936,
 17598144, 18524352, 19450560, 20376768, 21302976, 22229184, 23155392,
 24081600, 25007808, 25934016, 26860224, 27786432, 28712640, 29638848,
 30565056, 31491264, 32417472, 33343680, 34269888, 35196096, 36122304,
 37048512, 37974720, 38900928, 39827136, 40753344, 41679552, 42605760,
 43531968, 44458176, 45384384, 46310592, 47236800, 48163008, 49089216,
 50015424, 50941632, 51867840, 52794048, 53720256, 54646464, 55572672,
 56498880, 57425088, 58351296, 59277504, 60203712, 61129920
root@rpi3:~ # gpart show
=>      63  61896641  mmcsd0  MBR  (30G)
        63    102375       1  !12  [active]  (50M)
    102438       986          - free -  (493K)
    103424  61787136       2  freebsd  (29G)
  61890560      6144          - free -  (3.0M)

=>       0  61787136  mmcsd0s2  BSD  (29G)
         0  61787136         1  freebsd-ufs  (29G)root@rpi3:~ # service growfs
onestart
Growing root partition to fill device
GEOM_PART: mmcsd0s2 was automatically resized.
  Use `gpart commit mmcsd0s2` to save changes or `gpart undo mmcsd0s2` to
revert them.
mmcsd0s2 resized
mmcsd0s2a resized
super-block backups (for fsck_ffs -b #) at:
 3705024, 4631232, 5557440, 6483648, 7409856, 8336064, 9262272, 10188480,
 11114688, 12040896, 12967104, 13893312, 14819520, 15745728, 16671936,
 17598144, 18524352, 19450560, 20376768, 21302976, 22229184, 23155392,
 24081600, 25007808, 25934016, 26860224, 27786432, 28712640, 29638848,
 30565056, 31491264, 32417472, 33343680, 34269888, 35196096, 36122304,
 37048512, 37974720, 38900928, 39827136, 40753344, 41679552, 42605760,
 43531968, 44458176, 45384384, 46310592, 47236800, 48163008, 49089216,
 50015424, 50941632, 51867840, 52794048, 53720256, 54646464, 55572672,
 56498880, 57425088, 58351296, 59277504, 60203712, 61129920
root@rpi3:~ # gpart show
=>      63  61896641  mmcsd0  MBR  (30G)
        63    102375       1  !12  [active]  (50M)
    102438       986          - free -  (493K)
    103424  61787136       2  freebsd  (29G)
  61890560      6144          - free -  (3.0M)

=>       0  61787136  mmcsd0s2  BSD  (29G)
         0  61787136         1  freebsd-ufs  (29G)

Cheers,
Guangyuan Yang



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:34:03 AM EDT sVx wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
> > 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine but I
> > would like to expand the root slice (the only slice) over the full disk
> > space but I cannot enter single user mode.
> >
> > Un-commenting in /etc/rc.conf 'growfs_enable="YES"' and rebooting has no
> > effect. So I tried the manual way via `gpart resize /dev/mmcsd0s2` but
> > growfs(8) cannot expand root because root is mounted -- I guess. So I
> > tried `init 1` which just directly freezes the system as well as
> > `nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel` which hangs right after detecting the
> > keyboard. Guess in both cases it just freezes.
>
> Can confirm that 'growfs_enable=YES' is not working properly on RaspBSD.
> Instead, running a 'service growfs onestart' worked for me:

I believe you need to have /firstboot before growfs_enable="YES" well
work for you.  /firstboot is in the rpi images from RaspBSD, but once
you have booted it the first time that file is wiped.

...
--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RaspberryPi 3 freezes on single user mode (init 1)

Tim Kientzle-2

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 3:45 PM, Rodney W. Grimes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:34:03 AM EDT sVx wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've installed RaspBSD (FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img) on an
>>> 4 GB microSD-Card for a RaspberryPi 3. So far it boots and runs fine but I
>>> would like to expand the root slice (the only slice) over the full disk
>>> space but I cannot enter single user mode.
>>>
>>> Un-commenting in /etc/rc.conf 'growfs_enable="YES"' and rebooting has no
>>> effect. So I tried the manual way via `gpart resize /dev/mmcsd0s2` but
>>> growfs(8) cannot expand root because root is mounted -- I guess. So I
>>> tried `init 1` which just directly freezes the system as well as
>>> `nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel` which hangs right after detecting the
>>> keyboard. Guess in both cases it just freezes.
>>
>> Can confirm that 'growfs_enable=YES' is not working properly on RaspBSD.
>> Instead, running a 'service growfs onestart' worked for me:
>
> I believe you need to have /firstboot before growfs_enable="YES" well
> work for you.  /firstboot is in the rpi images from RaspBSD, but once
> you have booted it the first time that file is wiped.

I suspect this confuses a lot of folks at various times.

Perhaps growfs_enable should print an informative message if it is
not the first boot, such as:

    growfs_enable:  Skipping FS resize, since this is not the first boot.
    growfs_enable:  To force a resize:  $ touch /firstboot ; reboot




_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"