Re: Bluetooth v4

Sid

Re: Bluetooth v4

Sid
>> Jan 04, 2018:
>> The BSD community, not just FreeBSD, should look into creating a standard driver for Bluetooth v4, and forget completely about versions 1.2, 2.x, and 3.x. Worrying about versions 2 and 3 is a complete waste of time.
>> Bluetooth v4 dongles are now inexpensive, and are backward compatible with devices of lesser Bluetooth versions.

> Takanori Watanabe wrote:
> I wrote some code for Bluetooth LE and partly committed to the HEAD.
> I use HOGP mouse. https://github.com/takawata/FreeBSD-BLE

Hi, is all of it under https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/bluetooth/? Does the one at github work for several Bluetooth versions? Thank you.

Re: Bluetooth v4

Takanori Watanabe-2
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 05:07:41PM +0100, Sid wrote:
> >> Jan 04, 2018:
> >> The BSD community, not just FreeBSD, should look into creating a standard driver for Bluetooth v4, and forget completely about versions 1.2, 2.x, and 3.x. Worrying about versions 2 and 3 is a complete waste of time.
> >> Bluetooth v4 dongles are now inexpensive, and are backward compatible with devices of lesser Bluetooth versions.
>
> > Takanori Watanabe wrote:
> > I wrote some code for Bluetooth LE and partly committed to the HEAD.
> > I use HOGP mouse. https://github.com/takawata/FreeBSD-BLE
>
> Hi, is all of it under https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/bluetooth/? Does the one at github work for several Bluetooth versions? Thank you.

Indeed, I did not touch there.

There are
 https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/bluetooth/
and
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/netgraph/bluetooth/
also.

Re: Bluetooth v4

StariKarp

Sid

> > > Hi, is all of it under https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin
> > > /bluetooth/? Does the one at github work for several Bluetooth
> > > versions? Thank you.
> >
> > Indeed, I did not touch there.
> >
> > There are
> >  https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/bluetooth/
> > and
> > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/netgraph/bluetooth/
> > also.

That's great!

> I think the last version is Bluetooth v5.

Because Bluetooth 4 dongles are now cheap, so that means easier distribution, collaboration and use. Bluetooth 5 is not mainstream yet, and many places still don't sell them. Bluetooth 4 would be a good starting point.

Bluetooth 5 is compatible from version 1.1 on. https://www.bluetooth.com/~/media/files/specification/bluetooth-5-faq.ashx?la=en

Actually, it would be good for reverse compatibility in a Bluetooth 4 and later 5 dongle driver to go down to version 1.2. 1.2 is perhaps more secure than 1.1. Then let the old driver remain separate to take care of 1.1. Low energy Bluetooth is for 4 and 5. Perhaps there can be two parts or two drivers (aside for the current one for 1.1): one for BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) for 4 and 5, and another for traditional data rates for reverse compatibility of Bluetooth 4 and 5 dongles to devices of previous versions.
Sid

re: Bluetooth v4

Sid
I looked at it again.

The Bluetooth LE (which is only available for versions 4 and 5) idea is perfect as is. Versions 1.1 and 1.2 drivers should be left as is.

If there is going to be any reverse compatibility drivers for traditional data rate protocols, it should be for version 4 (and when 5 becomes mainstream) dongles down to version 2.1. 2.1 has better device pairing and security than previous Bluetooth versions.