Re: DRM removal soon

Greg V

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM, Yoshihiro Ota <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How does this impact VMWare users?
> I couldn't find much of documents.
>
> I run few FreeBSD versions on MacBook VMWare.
>
> Do we have a different driver for VMWare or go by MacBook's?
>
> I looked at dmesg of another laptop and that reports "Radeon".
> However, I don't find any "drm" in FreeBSD VMWare dmesg at all.
> I'm not sure which driver FreeBSD has been picking up.

Hi, looks like you have not been using *any* GPU driver at all, just a
basic framebuffer (efifb or vga) and software rendering.

Only the new drm-kmod includes vmwgfx, which should bring you GPU
support :) https://twitter.com/johalun/status/1056549585106227201

Re: DRM removal soon

Yoshihiro Ota
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:24:15 -0700
Warner Losh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 3:31 AM Yoshihiro Ota <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I also found that running kldstat was the easiest way to find which of
> > driver to use instead of dmesg.
> >

> Is this a suggestion for changing the drm-kmod package output? Or just a
> helpful hint for others?
>
> Tanks again.
>
> Warner

This is a helpful hint for others and a suggestion to update documents.

I had read https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.0R/relnotes.html#hardware-graphics and https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics before I started.  I had 4 old laptops and 1 vmawre and I didn't remember which machine uses which CPU :)
  If the doc can mention to check kldstat output and go to corresponding section, that will make steps easier.

I converted to the port based driver for 4 psychical machines and 1 vmware machine (although vmware do not use neither of driver.)  All of them run 12.0-RELEASE.  All of them start X and work fine.  I will likely get to 13-CURRENT a lot later as I ran 13-CURRENT without X and in vmware most of times.

Hiro

Re: DRM removal soon

Doug Kirk
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 3:07 PM Steve Kargl <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems our experiences are exact opposites.  :(
>
> I suppose it is the bane of those of who cannot afford
> new hardware every 2 or 3 years.

Hmm, because amd64 has only been available for the last 2 or 3 years? It
was added to FreeBSD as experimental in 5.1-RELEASE (June 2003) and
standard in 5.2-RELEASE (January 2004).

Jeff Atwood commented on desktop adoption of x86-64 in 2007 here:
https://blog.codinghorror.com/is-it-time-for-64-bit-on-the-desktop/ , and
it even mentions that graphics cards don't like 32-bit limits.

If you bought an x86-32 system within the last 2-3 years, why is that
anybody else's fault that your graphics-based computer was obsolete when
you bought it?

Please stop whining on the mailing list, you're just adding noise by
setting up straw-man arguments.

Re: DRM removal soon

Yoshihiro Ota
Hi, all and Cy.

I trimmed most of old posts.

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:22:52 -0800
Cy Schubert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes. drm-legacy-kmod should be removed from ports sooner than later. drm-current-kind works
> perfectly on older gear like my 13 year old Pentium-M, which was repurposed as an i386 test
> platform years ago.

Don't worry.
You are still talking in the unit of years.
I still occasionally use a laptop from the last century. :)
Jokes aside, I have 2 questions.

I have a 12.0-RELEASE base system and 12.0 pkg configuration.
Looking back my operational log, pkg install was like this.

# pkg install drm-kmod
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        drm-kmod: g20180930
        drm-legacy-kmod: g20181031_1
        gpu-firmware-kmod: g20180825

Question #1:
drm-current-kmod was mentioned in your reply.  Have I installed wrong kmod?

I do not setup X to come up as a part of boot process.  So, I login via console and may stay there or decide to startx depending on what I want to do.  I can see the driver switching and my kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" loads these modules as expected.

On the other hand, I still see the following in dmesg.

drmn0: =======================================================
drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmod p
kg
drmn0: =======================================================
drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
drmn0: =======================================================
drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmod pkg
drmn0: =======================================================
drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
drmn0: <Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]> on vgapci0
info: [drm] RADEON_IS_PCIE
info: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (PALM 0x1002:0x9806 0x144D:0xC589).
info: [drm] register mmio base: 0xFEB00000
info: [drm] register mmio size: 262144
info: [drm] radeon_atrm_get_bios: ===> Try ATRM...

kldstat -v reports this:

 5    1 0x1900d000   10c000 radeonkms.ko (/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko)
        Contains modules:
                 Id Name
                529 vgapci/radeonkms
                534 drmn/radeon_atom_hw_i2c
                531 radeon_iicbb/iicbb
                533 radeon_hw_i2c/iicbus
                530 drmn/radeon_iicbb
                532 drm/radeon_hw_i2c
 6    1 0x19119000    4e000 drm2.ko (/boot/kernel/drm2.ko)
        Contains modules:
                 Id Name
                525 drmn/drm_iic_dp_aux
                526 drmn

Question #2.
Am I loading the right driver set?

Regards,
Hiro

Re: DRM removal soon

Cy Schubert-4
In message <[hidden email]>,
Yoshihiro O
ta writes:

> Hi, all and Cy.
>
> I trimmed most of old posts.
>
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:22:52 -0800
> Cy Schubert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Yes. drm-legacy-kmod should be removed from ports sooner than later. drm-cu
> rrent-kind works
> > perfectly on older gear like my 13 year old Pentium-M, which was repurposed
>  as an i386 test
> > platform years ago.
>
> Don't worry.
> You are still talking in the unit of years.
> I still occasionally use a laptop from the last century. :)
> Jokes aside, I have 2 questions.
>
> I have a 12.0-RELEASE base system and 12.0 pkg configuration.
> Looking back my operational log, pkg install was like this.
>
> # pkg install drm-kmod
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
> The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>
> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>         drm-kmod: g20180930
>         drm-legacy-kmod: g20181031_1
>         gpu-firmware-kmod: g20180825
>
> Question #1:
> drm-current-kmod was mentioned in your reply.  Have I installed wrong kmod?

The drm-kmod meta-port installs the correct drm-*-kmod for you. It
appears the package installed the legacy kmod. If you want to install
drm-current-kmod or drm-fbsd12.0-kmod you'd need to specify either
instead of drm-kmod.

Does it work? If it works, stay with it.

> I do not setup X to come up as a part of boot process.  So, I login via conso
> le and may stay there or decide to startx depending on what I want to do.  I
> can see the driver switching and my kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" loa
> ds these modules as expected.

X loads the correct kernel modules for you. I don't pre-load any drm
modules. I let X handle everything for me. Yours does as well. It
simply works.

> On the other hand, I still see the following in dmesg.
>
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmo
> d p
> kg
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmo
> d pkg
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
> drmn0: <Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]> on vgapci0
> info: [drm] RADEON_IS_PCIE
> info: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (PALM 0x1002:0x9806 0x144D:0xC589
> ).
> info: [drm] register mmio base: 0xFEB00000
> info: [drm] register mmio size: 262144
> info: [drm] radeon_atrm_get_bios: ===> Try ATRM...

The deprecated DRM2 was removed from current after 12 was branched. You
could alter the module_path kenv environment variable to put
/boot/modules before /boot/kernel, but frankly don't mess with it if it
works.

> kldstat -v reports this:
>
>  5    1 0x1900d000   10c000 radeonkms.ko (/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko)
>         Contains modules:
>                  Id Name
>                 529 vgapci/radeonkms
>                 534 drmn/radeon_atom_hw_i2c
>                 531 radeon_iicbb/iicbb
>                 533 radeon_hw_i2c/iicbus
>                 530 drmn/radeon_iicbb
>                 532 drm/radeon_hw_i2c
>  6    1 0x19119000    4e000 drm2.ko (/boot/kernel/drm2.ko)
>         Contains modules:
>                  Id Name
>                 525 drmn/drm_iic_dp_aux
>                 526 drmn
>
> Question #2.
> Am I loading the right driver set?

In your case installing the package is a NOP because the base drm is
loaded because it's first in the kld search path. If X works, then
don't worry about it.

Cy Schubert <[hidden email]>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <[hidden email]>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org

Re: DRM removal soon - crash with PAE kernel

Yoshihiro Ota
Hi Cy and all,

I've been using drm-kmod okay on FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE i386 GENERIC based kernel with multiple machines since the last post.

I switched to use PAE kernel (12.0-RELEASE) on one of machines and then this module started panicing kernel.
  Given addressing is different, this crash isn't something surprise to see, though...

Hiro

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 22:45:29 -0800