Re: Gcc 4.2.1 to be removed before FreeBSD 13, a firm timeline

Re: Gcc 4.2.1 to be removed before FreeBSD 13, a firm timeline

Ed Maste-2
On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 01:56, Warner Losh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Third, we should move up the removal of gcc 4.2.1 to 2020-02-29 as well,
> with a deadline of 2020-01-31 for someone to publish a github branch that
> removes gcc for wide-spread testing. An exception to the gcc rule should be
> made for libunwind until that can be sorted out.

In PR 233664 mmel@ reports that the previous issues with libunwind on
armv6/armv7 are no longer reproducible, and both will be switched over
soon. So there should be no trouble with gcc 4.2.1's removal except
for the sparc64 issues, which include at least:

PR 233405 libunwind
PR 239851 BSD crtbegin
PR 243119 binutils 2.33.1,1 assertion failure (but it has a patch!)

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 15:19, Ed Maste <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PR 233405 libunwind

I've somewhat addressed this today, committing (untested) build fixes
from cem@. Someone with an interest in sparc64 and access to hardware
will need to test and investigate any failures.

> PR 239851 BSD crtbegin

This is now the main blocking issue.

> PR 243119 binutils 2.33.1,1 assertion failure (but it has a patch!)

A fixed binutils package should be available in a week or so.

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 10:00, Ed Maste <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been staging my gcc 4.2.1 deorbit work at
> https://github.com/emaste/freebsd/tree/deorbit-gcc; I'll force-push it
> on occasion after related changes make it into svn.

I've put the first version of these changes into Phabricator now:

1. retire BSD_CRTBEGIN option
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23122

2. retire LLVM_LIBUNWIND option
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23123

3. rm GCC 4.2.1 build infrastructure
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23124

In my WIP branch the next two commits remove contrib/gcc and contrib/gcclibs.

Re: Gcc 4.2.1 to be removed before FreeBSD 13, a firm timeline

MeSOFT Corporate Email

> On 9 Jan 2020, at 09:09, Ed Maste <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 15:19, Ed Maste <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> PR 233405 libunwind
>
> I've somewhat addressed this today, committing (untested) build fixes
> from cem@. Someone with an interest in sparc64 and access to hardware
> will need to test and investigate any failures.
>
>> PR 239851 BSD crtbegin
>
> This is now the main blocking issue.
>
>> PR 243119 binutils 2.33.1,1 assertion failure (but it has a patch!)
>
> A fixed binutils package should be available in a week or so.

I’ll be back on Thursday next week (presently away) so if anyone has not looked by then, I’ll be able to have a look then.

/BGM

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 17:09, Ed Maste <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 15:19, Ed Maste <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > PR 233405 libunwind
>
> I've somewhat addressed this today, committing (untested) build fixes
> from cem@. Someone with an interest in sparc64 and access to hardware
> will need to test and investigate any failures.

Note that this was reverted on request. Someone with sparc64 hardware
will need to reapply the patch from PR233405, test it, and report.
Additional bug fixing will almost certainly be required.

> > PR 239851 BSD crtbegin
>
> This is now the main blocking issue.

This is still outstanding, with GCC-derived crt scheduled for removal
at the end of the month. See https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23122 for
more.

> > PR 243119 binutils 2.33.1,1 assertion failure (but it has a patch!)
>
> A fixed binutils package should be available in a week or so.

The fixed package is available (and the fix working its way to a new
upstream release).