Re: I4B: what happened, which options? [was: Policy for removing working code]

Re: I4B: what happened, which options? [was: Policy for removing working code]

Bjoern A. Zeeb
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Kevin Oberman wrote:

Hey,

I think I should try to summarize parts of the ISDN topic, which I
have been disconnected from for more than 2 years now, to make this
tail of a thread more helpful maybe.

I agree that later release notes could have mentioned it but neither
did they mention that it was back and I cannot remember anyone
complaining about netatm not coming back either until now, nor can I
remember many complaints after freebsd 7.0 which was more than 2 years
ago.

I am Cc:ing freebsd-isdn@ as that list exists and has been for years.
Check the archives for the overwhelming interest.
If ISDN is in any way interesting to you, respect the Reply-To:

The temporary disconnect was announced there (which is where the plan
to bring it back came from):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-isdn/2007-July/000711.html

There was a call for help (also with GSoC):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-isdn/2008-March/000833.html

There was a notice that the code will be removed:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-isdn/2008-May/000842.html

And there was an UPDATING entry with the removal:
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=179315

There was probably more but those were the once I found again within
five minutes.

So what are the options and what is out there now and there are a few,
depending on your needs:

1) the FreeBSD Foundation is sponsoring a project currently:
    "DAHDI FreeBSD driver port"
    http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/project%20announcements.shtml#Max

2) I am (was) still running C4B on amd64 on RELENG_8 with a privately
    hacked together capi call log, which is a hack without me even
    thinking about capi (specs) when doing it, but was doing the job
    for me for 7 and 8.  Getting the last C4B compiled for 8/HEAD or
    amd64 isn't a lot of patching and I can probably provide patches
    to you, if you want to make it a port.  The PRIV constants needed
    for this in the base system have been shiping for a while:
    http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=192577

3) HPSI4B exists and he seems to maintain it.  If you need old drivers
    for cards he doesn't support, talk to him if you want to use or are
    using his stack with other cards.

4) The old I4B code is still here and could be brought back from
    Attic if someone was to invest the resources (time, coding or money,
    ...).  People tried back then but failed for ETIME.  It's not only
    locking.  The device drivers and layers are written in a RELENG_4ish
    way and my conclusion was that it'll end in a partial re-write.
    I still have cards and I still have a machine with ISA slots to
    test things.  If someone fixes the infrastructure and 1 driver I'll
    also happily ship them so (s)he can do the others as well and test
    and maintain things for the next couple of years.

Pick your poison;-)

HTH
/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                              Welcome a new stage of life.

Re: C4B for modern FreeBSD [was: I4B: what happened, which options? [was: Policy for removing working code]]

Bjoern A. Zeeb
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

Hi,

> 2) I am (was) still running C4B on amd64 on RELENG_8 with a privately
>   hacked together capi call log, which is a hack without me even
>   thinking about capi (specs) when doing it, but was doing the job
>   for me for 7 and 8.  Getting the last C4B compiled for 8/HEAD or
>   amd64 isn't a lot of patching and I can probably provide patches
>   to you, if you want to make it a port.  The PRIV constants needed
>   for this in the base system have been shiping for a while:
>   http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=192577

having sent out the patch to the only person who requested it
privately, I thought for later reference I should post it here as
well:

! Allow the latest Capi4BSD from http://www.nord-com.net/thomas.wintergerst/
! to compile on amd64 as well as modern FreeBSD versions without suser()
! or I4B support.

http://people.freebsd.org/~bz/20101016-01-c4b-amd64-priv.diff

I have done some late changed to get the __FreeBSD_version checks as
correct as possible and it compiles on my FreeBSD HEAD/amd64 but I
haven't tested it more.  I used to use it for a simple call log in the
past but not more either.  If you give it a try, send me feedback!

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                              Welcome a new stage of life.