Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Stanislav Galabov
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Emmanuel Vadot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 01:10:11 -0700
> Warner Losh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose that we eliminate support for the following before the
>> FreeBSD 12 branch.
>>
>> adm5120 (most boards don't have enough memory, very old)
>> alchemy (the au1xxxx port never really was finished, and boards lack
>> memory, very old)
>> idt (only a few boards worked, most are long obsolete)
>> rt305x (raylink kit is now out dated, at least I think so)
>
>  Olimex still sell rt5350 board (those two are quite the same SoC) :
>  https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/RT5350F/RT5350F-OLinuXino/open-source-hardware
>
>  I did port FreeBSD on it almost three years ago
> (https://www.bidouilliste.com/blog/2015/07/22/FreeBSD-on-Olimex-RT5350F-OLinuXino/
> ) but I don't remember if any of my code when into the tree but we have
> support from it based on the work from sgalabov@

Yes, the Ralink chips, as well as the newer Mediatek
(post-acquisition) ones, are supported by the code in
sys/mips/mediatek.
The original idea was to have both sys/mips/mediatek and
sys/mips/rt305x for historical reasons and later on remove the rt305x
one if there are no objections.
Seeing as the mediatek support actually supports a lot more SoCs and
also supports FDT, I think this is still the way to go.

>  It doesn't mean I've objecting to the removal, I have no interest in
> mips and I don't even know the actual support on it.
>
>> sibyte (long obsolete, hard to get hardware)
>>
>> I thought I'd post a heads up here before I proposed this list to arch@.
>>
>> We have enough exemplars these days we don't need to keep these older ports
>> around as examples anymore, and I have my doubts if we even work on these
>> boards anymore.
>>
>> If I'm wrong about these being old, or that FreeBSD is no longer running on
>> them, please let me know. Thanks!
>>
>> Warner

> Emmanuel Vadot <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Rodney W. Grimes <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Can you give me pointers to these boards for adm5120 and IDT? When last I
> > > tried to get them 5 years ago they were hard to come by and generally
> > came
> > > with no more than 32M or 64M of memory.
> > >
> > > mips/rt305x has been subsumed by mips/mediatek, so will be deleted w/o
> > loss
> > > of functionality.
> >
> > Please go back and read very carefully what the person said about
> > this.  It was PLANNED to subsume rt305x into mediatek, but it has
> > NOT been done yet.  At least that is how I read the persons
> > comments.
>

> That's not how I read it. I read it as "this is what we planned, and we've
> arrived." However, out of an abundance of caution, I sent an email asking
> for confirmation. Code inspection certainly suggests that my interpretation
> is correct.

Thanks.  Also you might want to ping the router projects folks,
as I believe many of the mips based routers use this SOC and
they may have info on which of the implementations work better,
and/or if the mediatek branch is up to speed and the rt305x
can just be axed.  I know this project is out there someplace,
but can not find a link for it right now.    And I have seen
some activity someplace from them in the last 3 or 4 months.

> Warner
>

> > > I'm curious what benefit sibyte has apart from broadcom? It seems to
> > > support a super old broadcom chip that's way obsolete that has a bunch of
> > > errata that need workarounds that aren't present in newer chips. What am
> > > missing?
> > >
> > > Warner

> > kept
> > to be

> > family.

> > before the

> > arch@.

> > these

> > running

> > freebsd.org"

> > --
> > Rod Grimes
> > [hidden email]

Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> On 2017-12-31 01:46, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> >> That's not how I read it. I read it as "this is what we planned, and
> >> we've
> >> arrived." However, out of an abundance of caution, I sent an email
> >> asking
> >> for confirmation. Code inspection certainly suggests that my
> >> interpretation
> >> is correct.
> >
> > Thanks.  Also you might want to ping the router projects folks,
> > as I believe many of the mips based routers use this SOC and
> > they may have info on which of the implementations work better,
> > and/or if the mediatek branch is up to speed and the rt305x
> > can just be axed.  I know this project is out there someplace,
> > but can not find a link for it right now.    And I have seen

> > some activity someplace from them in the last 3 or 4 months.
>
>   "router project folks" ?

>   Who are you talking about exactly ?

I have now found at least one of the links, the zrouter project,
http://zrouter.org/projects/zrouter
But someone just recently reported on a mailling list that
they had updated that work and pointed someplace else, and
that is what I am trying to find.

> >> Warner

> >> "[hidden email]"
> >>

> --
> Emmanuel Vadot <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> On 2017-12-31 01:46, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> >> That's not how I read it. I read it as "this is what we planned, and
> >> we've
> >> arrived." However, out of an abundance of caution, I sent an email
> >> asking
> >> for confirmation. Code inspection certainly suggests that my
> >> interpretation
> >> is correct.
> >
> > Thanks.  Also you might want to ping the router projects folks,
> > as I believe many of the mips based routers use this SOC and
> > they may have info on which of the implementations work better,
> > and/or if the mediatek branch is up to speed and the rt305x
> > can just be axed.  I know this project is out there someplace,
> > but can not find a link for it right now.    And I have seen
> > some activity someplace from them in the last 3 or 4 months.
>
>   "router project folks" ?
>
>   Who are you talking about exactly ?

And now I found the other person that just posted updates on the
zrouter code, it is now a git project, and just updated stuff
relative to the RT305x stuff one month ago:
https://github.com/ZRouter/ZRouter/tree/master/socs/Ralink

Project top is at https://github.com/ZRouter

> >> Warner

> >> "[hidden email]"
> >>

> --
> Emmanuel Vadot <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Warner Losh
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Rodney W. Grimes <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> When last I
> generally

> deleted w/o

> > > Thanks.  Also you might want to ping the router projects folks,
> > > as I believe many of the mips based routers use this SOC and
> > > they may have info on which of the implementations work better,
> > > and/or if the mediatek branch is up to speed and the rt305x
> > > can just be axed.  I know this project is out there someplace,
> > > but can not find a link for it right now.    And I have seen
> > > some activity someplace from them in the last 3 or 4 months.
> >
> >   "router project folks" ?
> >
> >   Who are you talking about exactly ?
>
> And now I found the other person that just posted updates on the
> zrouter code, it is now a git project, and just updated stuff
> relative to the RT305x stuff one month ago:
> https://github.com/ZRouter/ZRouter/tree/master/socs/Ralink
>
> Project top is at https://github.com/ZRouter

Looks like they'll have to update. Should be pretty easy. I'll ping.

Warner

> bunch of
> What am

> to be
> Mikrotik from
> sibyte is
> router" with

> boards lack

> these older
> work on

> longer

> freebsd.org"

> > --
> > Emmanuel Vadot <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

> Rod Grimes

Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Stanislav Galabov
On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 4:08 AM, Warner Losh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Rodney W. Grimes <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>> When last I
>> generally

>> deleted w/o

>> >   "router project folks" ?
>> >
>> >   Who are you talking about exactly ?
>>
>> And now I found the other person that just posted updates on the
>> zrouter code, it is now a git project, and just updated stuff
>> relative to the RT305x stuff one month ago:
>> https://github.com/ZRouter/ZRouter/tree/master/socs/Ralink
>>
>> Project top is at https://github.com/ZRouter
>

> Looks like they'll have to update. Should be pretty easy. I'll ping.
>
> Warner

I am adding ray@ to the conversation so he can give his input as well.
As far as I am concerned mips/mediatek is already a superset of
mips/rt305x and should be the one that's carried forward.

Stanislav

>> bunch of
>> What am

>> to be
>> Mikrotik from
>> sibyte is
>> router" with

>> boards lack

>> these older
>> work on

>> longer

>> freebsd.org"

>> > --
>> > Emmanuel Vadot <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
>> >

>> --
>> Rod Grimes
>> [hidden email]

Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Aleksandr Rybalko-3
Thanks Stanislav, I'm on freebsd-mips@ list :)

I already answer Warner about rt305x dir but have another thing to say:
We need boards supported by emulators to use for CI tests.
IIRC, qemu support only Malta MIPS board.
Not sure about other emulators, but it will be nice to not lost its support.

Thanks, guys!

Happy New Year!!!

--
WBW
-------

Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

Warner Losh
On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 6:51 AM, Aleksandr Rybalko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Stanislav, I'm on freebsd-mips@ list :)
>
> I already answer Warner about rt305x dir but have another thing to say:
> We need boards supported by emulators to use for CI tests.
> IIRC, qemu support only Malta MIPS board.
> Not sure about other emulators, but it will be nice to not lost its
> support.

Totally agree on that! I'd love to see better testing tools. qemu has like
3 targets that we might be able to support, but the other 2 wouldn't gain
us that much since they are for hardware older than MALTA. qemu for arm has
like 50 it supports, and we could use half a dozen of them in regression
testing if we were so motivated.

There's other emulators, but none of them stray far from MALTA or something
that's so close to identical as to not be that useful. At least last time I
did a survey. I'd love someone to prove me wrong here :)

Warner