Re: OpenZFS support merged

Jakob Alvermark-2
Hi,

I updated from r364605 to r364768

'make buildkernel' fails like this:

Building
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/zstd.o
/usr/src/sys/contrib/openzfs/module/zstd/lib/zstd.c:1336:12: fatal
error: 'immintrin.h' file not found
#  include <immintrin.h>   /* support for bextr (experimental) */
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Best,

Jakob

On 2020-08-25 04:38, Matthew Macy wrote:

> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>
> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>
> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and -current.

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Ryan Moeller-2

On 8/25/20 10:43 AM, Bob Bishop wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 25 Aug 2020, at 03:38, Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>>
>> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
> For clarity, is autotrim enabled by default? If not, some people will be surprised.

It is on by default.

-Ryan

>> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>>
>> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and -current.
>
> --
> Bob Bishop

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Ryan Moeller-2

On 8/25/20 9:58 AM, Jakob Alvermark wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I updated from r364605 to r364768
>
> 'make buildkernel' fails like this:
>
> Building
> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/zstd.o
> /usr/src/sys/contrib/openzfs/module/zstd/lib/zstd.c:1336:12: fatal
> error: 'immintrin.h' file not found
> #  include <immintrin.h>   /* support for bextr (experimental) */
>            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 1 error generated.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce this. Are you perhaps building
with GCC?

-Ryan

> Best,
>
> Jakob
>
> On 2020-08-25 04:38, Matthew Macy wrote:
>> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>>
>> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
>> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>>
>> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and
>> -current.

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Danilo Egêa Gondolfo
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:39 AM Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>
> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>
> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and
> -current.

Hi, that is good news.

It seems that our boot loader will fail to boot after zpool upgrade. Is
that a known issue?

I've replicated my setup, root zfs over GELI, in a VM to avoid any surprise
(phew!), and it booted fine after upgrading the system. Although it fails
after zpool upgrade (yes, I know you've asked us to be cautious with zpool
upgrade):

ZFS: unsupported feature: org.freebsd:zstd_compress
ZFS: pool zroot is not supported
ZFS: can't find pool by guid

Thank you!

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Toomas Soome

> On 25. Aug 2020, at 19:35, Danilo Egêa Gondolfo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:39 AM Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>>
>> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
>> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>>
>> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and
>> -current.
>>

> Hi, that is good news.
>
> It seems that our boot loader will fail to boot after zpool upgrade. Is
> that a known issue?

The loader is not updated to support zstd.

rgds,
toomas

> I've replicated my setup, root zfs over GELI, in a VM to avoid any surprise
> (phew!), and it booted fine after upgrading the system. Although it fails
> after zpool upgrade (yes, I know you've asked us to be cautious with zpool
> upgrade):
>
> ZFS: unsupported feature: org.freebsd:zstd_compress
> ZFS: pool zroot is not supported
> ZFS: can't find pool by guid
>
> Thank you!

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Matthew Macy-3
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 9:36 AM Danilo Egêa Gondolfo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:39 AM Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>>
>> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
>> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>>
>> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and -current.
>

> Hi, that is good news.
>
> It seems that our boot loader will fail to boot after zpool upgrade. Is that a known issue?

No. Unfortunately zstd support was merged in to openzfs very late in
the CFT. Features needed for read like zstd need to be white listed in
the loader and added to the support.

-M

> I've replicated my setup, root zfs over GELI, in a VM to avoid any surprise (phew!), and it booted fine after upgrading the system. Although it fails after zpool upgrade (yes, I know you've asked us to be cautious with zpool upgrade):
>
> ZFS: unsupported feature: org.freebsd:zstd_compress
> ZFS: pool zroot is not supported
> ZFS: can't find pool by guid
>
> Thank you!

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Danilo Egêa Gondolfo
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:43 PM Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 9:36 AM Danilo Egêa Gondolfo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:39 AM Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
> >>
> >> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
> >> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
> >>
> >> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
> >>
> >> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and
> -current.
> [hidden email]"
> >

> > Hi, that is good news.
> >
> > It seems that our boot loader will fail to boot after zpool upgrade. Is
> that a known issue?
>
> No. Unfortunately zstd support was merged in to openzfs very late in
> the CFT. Features needed for read like zstd need to be white listed in
> the loader and added to the support.
>
> -M
>

> > I've replicated my setup, root zfs over GELI, in a VM to avoid any
> surprise (phew!), and it booted fine after upgrading the system. Although
> it fails after zpool upgrade (yes, I know you've asked us to be cautious
> with zpool upgrade):
> >
> > ZFS: unsupported feature: org.freebsd:zstd_compress
> > ZFS: pool zroot is not supported
> > ZFS: can't find pool by guid
> >
> > Thank you!

Fair enough.

I believe it should be mentioned in the UPDATING file then. It's not clear
that it will happen if one zpool upgrades his/her pools.

Thank you.

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Jakob Alvermark-2

On 2020-08-25 17:42, Ryan Moeller wrote:

> On 8/25/20 9:58 AM, Jakob Alvermark wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I updated from r364605 to r364768
>>
>> 'make buildkernel' fails like this:
>>
>> Building
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/zstd.o
>> /usr/src/sys/contrib/openzfs/module/zstd/lib/zstd.c:1336:12: fatal
>> error: 'immintrin.h' file not found
>> #  include <immintrin.h>   /* support for bextr (experimental) */
>>            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> 1 error generated.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>>

> I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce this. Are you perhaps
> building with GCC?
>
> -Ryan

Nope.

I do use WITH_META_MODE though, but it shouldn't affect this I think.

I tried clearing out /usr/obj and started a new build, but I still get
the same error.

Jakob

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Ryan Moeller-2

On 8/25/20 2:00 PM, Jakob Alvermark wrote:

> On 2020-08-25 17:42, Ryan Moeller wrote:
>>
>> On 8/25/20 9:58 AM, Jakob Alvermark wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I updated from r364605 to r364768
>>>
>>> 'make buildkernel' fails like this:
>>>
>>> Building
>>> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/zstd.o
>>>
>>> /usr/src/sys/contrib/openzfs/module/zstd/lib/zstd.c:1336:12: fatal
>>> error: 'immintrin.h' file not found
>>> #  include <immintrin.h>   /* support for bextr (experimental) */
>>>            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> 1 error generated.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>>

>> I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce this. Are you perhaps
>> building with GCC?
>>
>> -Ryan
>
> Nope.

Okay I'm guessing your build env has something like `CPUTYPE?= native`
in src.conf.  This was also an issue with the original zstd import.
I've reproduced this error and will commit the fix shortly.

> I do use WITH_META_MODE though, but it shouldn't affect this I think.
>
> I tried clearing out /usr/obj and started a new build, but I still get
> the same error.
>

> Jakob

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Jakob Alvermark-2

On 2020-08-25 20:06, Ryan Moeller wrote:

> On 8/25/20 2:00 PM, Jakob Alvermark wrote:

>>> I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce this. Are you perhaps
>>> building with GCC?
>>>
>>> -Ryan
>>
>> Nope.
>>>
>>> I do use WITH_META_MODE though, but it shouldn't affect this I think.
>>>
>>> I tried clearing out /usr/obj and started a new build, but I still
>>> get the same error.
>>>

>>> Jakob

>> "[hidden email]"
>
> Okay I'm guessing your build env has something like `CPUTYPE?= native`
> in src.conf.  This was also an issue with the original zstd import.
> I've reproduced this error and will commit the fix shortly.

Oh! I do have that.

Thanks.

Jakob

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Ryan Moeller-2

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/364777

> Oh! I do have that.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Jakob

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Toomas Soome

> On 25. Aug 2020, at 22:49, [hidden email] wrote:

Yes. The current boot loader can handle features before switch to OpenZFS. New features will be added, it just will take some time.

rgds,
toomas

>> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
>> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>>
>> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and -
>> current.

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Jakob Alvermark-2

On 2020-08-25 20:23, Ryan Moeller wrote:

> On 8/25/20 2:09 PM, Jakob Alvermark wrote:

>>> Okay I'm guessing your build env has something like `CPUTYPE?=
>>> native` in src.conf.  This was also an issue with the original zstd
>>> import. I've reproduced this error and will commit the fix shortly.
>>

> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/364777

It compiles now. And it boots.

Thanks for fixing it so quickly!

Jakob

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Ryan Moeller-2

On 8/25/20 3:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

The feature can be enabled on the pool, but as soon as you use it on any
dataset
the feature goes from "enabled" to "active" and the boot loader will not
be able
to read the pool, even if you switch encryption back off. At least
that's how it
was when the ZoF page was written, if it's different now someone may
correct me.

> As a follow-up, if it is not currently not possible, are there any
> long/short term plans to add the missing bits to our boot loader?µ
>
>> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
>> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>>
>> If you encounter problems please report them to me, Ryan Moeller, and -
>> current.

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Kurt Jaeger-6
Hi!

> r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>
> The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
> I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746

A system running r363767 can upgrade to some revision after r364746
and reboot and come up without big issues, running the new openzfs code ?

Or is some additional step required ?

--
[hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                    Now what ?

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Matthew Macy-3
On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 08:47 Kurt Jaeger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> > r364746 merged OpenZFS support in to HEAD.
>

> > The change should be transparent unless you want to use new features.
>
> > I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
>
> > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746
>

> A system running r363767 can upgrade to some revision after r364746
>
> and reboot and come up without big issues, running the new openzfs code ?
>

> Or is some additional step required ?

Barring some unusual configuration that no one else there should not be a
problem. The only known issue of immediate concern (that was only raised a
day or two ago :-/) is zfs delegation in poudriere. If you rely on that I’d
say wait a couple days, otherwise proceed.

-M

> --
>
> [hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                    Now what ?

Re: OpenZFS support merged

Kurt Jaeger-6
Hi!

> > > I caution against 'zpool upgrade' for the next few weeks.
> > > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=364746

> > A system running r363767 can upgrade to some revision after r364746
> > and reboot and come up without big issues, running the new openzfs code ?
> > Or is some additional step required ?

> Barring some unusual configuration that no one else there should not be a
> problem. The only known issue of immediate concern (that was only raised a
> day or two ago :-/) is zfs delegation in poudriere.

This is my package builder box, where I also receive mail, so ... 8-}

> If you rely on that I'd say wait a couple days, otherwise proceed.

It has it's files on a ZPOOL.

How can I find if my poudriere uses zfs delegation ?

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/zfs-zfs-allow.html

says something about:

sysctl vfs.usermount

which returns 0 (so no usermounts) and:

zfs allow -l zroot/pou

which returns empty. So I guess I can upgrade.

--
[hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                    Now what ?