Re: kernel panic with cdrecord

Torfinn Ingolfsen
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:17:52 +0200
Zoran Kolic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After moving to amd64 system (64-bit),
> I have problem writing cd with cdrecord.

This is just a "me too" follow-up. I have been using growisofs to write
DVDs on this machine before, so I haven't noticed this problem before.
I'm using:
tingo@kg-quiet$ uname -a
FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #6: Sat Oct  8
22:44:23 CEST 2005     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIET
amd64

root@kg-quiet# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <ST3120026A/8.01> ATA/ATAPI revision 6
    Slave:   ad1 <ST3120026A/8.54> ATA/ATAPI revision 6
ATA channel 1:
    Master: acd0 <NEC DVD RW ND-3540A/1.01> ATA/ATAPI revision 0
    Slave:       no device present

> Nec 3520a (dvd writer)

Hmm, I have a ND-3540A. Could there be a problem with NEC DVD writers?

> CDrtools-2.01

cdrtools-2.01_1             =  up-to-date with port

> Whatever I do with cdrecord, it panics with

I can do 'cdrecord -scanbus':
root@kg-quiet# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (amd64-unknown-freebsd5.4) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) '_NEC    ' 'DVD_RW ND-3540A ' '1.01' Removable
CD-ROM        2,1,0   201) *
        2,2,0   202) *
        2,3,0   203) *
        2,4,0   204) *
        2,5,0   205) *
        2,6,0   206) *
        2,7,0   207) *

and inq:
root@kg-quiet# cdrecord dev=2,0,0 -inq
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (amd64-unknown-freebsd5.4) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling scsidev: '2,0,0'
scsibus: 2 target: 0 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : '_NEC    '
Identifikation : 'DVD_RW ND-3540A '
Revision       : '1.01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

but anything else fails. (Ok, I have tested the vommands -toc, -msinfo,
-prcap, -atip, -checkdrive, -prcap)

> "fatal trap 9" message. First few lines, not

Yep, fatal trap 9 here too.
Unfrtunately, the machine had only 512MB RAM when I installed it, now it
has 1GB RAM. This means that the swap partition is too small to dump on.

I also tried burncd, and it works, but it fails while fixating the CD,
giving me a coaster. (I have read in the release notes that this is
fixed in FreeBSD 6.0-release, and I am going to try 6.0 later.)

Any hints for further debugging this?
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway

Re: kernel panic with cdrecord

Torfinn Ingolfsen
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:03:23 +0400
Igor Robul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you just wish write CD-R/RW then you can try burncd (8) which is in

burncd fails while fixating cd's.
--
regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,

Re: kernel panic with cdrecord

Manfred Lotz
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:42:04 +0100
Torfinn Ingolfsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:03:23 +0400
> Igor Robul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If you just wish write CD-R/RW then you can try burncd (8) which is
> > in
>
> burncd fails while fixating cd's.
> --

I agree. Happened to me as well under FreeBSD 6.0.  burncd was hanging
when trying to fixate and never came back.

--
Manfred

Re: kernel panic with cdrecord

Andriy Gapon-3
on 05/11/2005 20:36 Manfred Lotz said the following:

> I agree. Happened to me as well under FreeBSD 6.0.  burncd was hanging
> when trying to fixate and never came back.

I personally don't see this problem, but I am still curious - has any of
you guys tried to debug this problem ? E.g. attaching with gdb and
checking where exaclty burncd hangs/loops etc. I am sure that there
should exist a PR for this problem, so maybe collecting all available
(useful) information under would help to make resolution closer.

--
Andriy Gapon

Re: kernel panic with cdrecord

Manfred Lotz
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:53:21 +0200
Andriy Gapon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on 05/11/2005 20:36 Manfred Lotz said the following:
> >
> > I agree. Happened to me as well under FreeBSD 6.0.  burncd was
> > hanging when trying to fixate and never came back.
>
> I personally don't see this problem, but I am still curious - has any
> of you guys tried to debug this problem ? E.g. attaching with gdb and
> checking where exaclty burncd hangs/loops etc. I am sure that there
> should exist a PR for this problem, so maybe collecting all available
> (useful) information under would help to make resolution closer.

Haven't tried to debug yet. Hopefully I'll find some time next week to
debug it. Then I'll come back to you with the results.

--
Manfred

Re: kernel panic with cdrecord

Torfinn Ingolfsen
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:41:05 +0100
Torfinn Ingolfsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> but anything else fails. (Ok, I have tested the vommands -toc,
> -msinfo, -prcap, -atip, -checkdrive, -prcap)

Ok, the machine now has 6.0-release / amd64 on it, and the error seems
to be gone. At least none of the commands above causes a panic anymore.
i have yet to test writing a cd with cdrecord.

> I also tried burncd, and it works, but it fails while fixating the CD,
> giving me a coaster. (I have read in the release notes that this is
> fixed in FreeBSD 6.0-release, and I am going to try 6.0 later.)

I haven't tested burncd yet.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway

Re: kernel panic with cdrecord

Torfinn Ingolfsen
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:13:42 +0100
Torfinn Ingolfsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:41:05 +0100
> Torfinn Ingolfsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > but anything else fails. (Ok, I have tested the vommands -toc,
> > -msinfo, -prcap, -atip, -checkdrive, -prcap)
>
> Ok, the machine now has 6.0-release / amd64 on it, and the error seems
> to be gone. At least none of the commands above causes a panic
> anymore. i have yet to test writing a cd with cdrecord.

In case anyone is unsure about it, this is still the desktop amd64
machine with the NEC ND-3540a dive in it:

root@kg-quiet# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Wed Nov  2
19:07:38 UTC 2005     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC