Re: kernel: uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished

Re: kernel: uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished

Hans Petter Selasky-6
On 11/23/18 6:51 PM, tech-lists wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On a 12.0-BETA2 system, am seeing lots of this in /var/log/messages:
>
> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
>
> last message repeated 496 times
>
> There's only two things usb on this machine, a usb3 pci card (which has
> nothing plugged into it) and a usb2 wireless key plugged into the usb
> system built into the motherboard. It's detected as run0. The device
> works fine, doesn't drop packets.
>
> How can I debug this? Should I upgrade to 12-PRERELEASE (or whatever the
> latest is) first?

Hi,

There hasn't been any USB changes in this area. Likely you have a broken
or unsupported USB device, which doesn't enumerate properly. I see this
on my computer with a USB bluetooth device, which because it doesn't
receive valid firmware at first boot, becomes in-accessible. Maybe you
can disable some such USB devices in the BIOS.

--HPS

On 11/24/18 9:42 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On 11/23/18 6:51 PM, tech-lists wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On a 12.0-BETA2 system, am seeing lots of this in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
>> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
>> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
>>
>> last message repeated 496 times
>>
>> There's only two things usb on this machine, a usb3 pci card (which has
>> nothing plugged into it) and a usb2 wireless key plugged into the usb
>> system built into the motherboard. It's detected as run0. The device
>> works fine, doesn't drop packets.
>>
>> How can I debug this? Should I upgrade to 12-PRERELEASE (or whatever the
>> latest is) first?
>
> Hi,
>
> There hasn't been any USB changes in this area. Likely you have a broken
> or unsupported USB device, which doesn't enumerate properly. I see this
> on my computer with a USB bluetooth device, which because it doesn't
> receive valid firmware at first boot, becomes in-accessible. Maybe you
> can disable some such USB devices in the BIOS.
>
> --HPS

BTW: There are some USB knobs to disable USB enumeration:

sysctl -a | grep disable_enumeration

--HPS