Re: setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf

Re: setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf

Dimitry Andric-4
On 2012-02-26 22:37, Alexander Best wrote:

> any chance support for setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf could be
> added before the release of freebsd 10.0? the way it is done atm is really not
> intuitive. the rule should really be:
>
> - make.conf = applies globally
> - src.conf  = applies only to /usr/src
> ( maybe a ports.conf or port.conf could be introduced at some point, too)
>
> ... the current situation, where only certain variables can be set in src.conf
> is not ideal.

I just committed r232263 to head, which should allow setting CC/CXX/CPP
in src.conf.  Please try it out.

Re: setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf

Alexander Best-4
On Tue Feb 28 12, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> On 2012-02-26 22:37, Alexander Best wrote:
> > any chance support for setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf could be
> > added before the release of freebsd 10.0? the way it is done atm is really not
> > intuitive. the rule should really be:
> >
> > - make.conf = applies globally
> > - src.conf  = applies only to /usr/src
> > ( maybe a ports.conf or port.conf could be introduced at some point, too)
> >
> > ... the current situation, where only certain variables can be set in src.conf
> > is not ideal.
>
> I just committed r232263 to head, which should allow setting CC/CXX/CPP
> in src.conf.  Please try it out.

it seems the latest libarchive import broke world with clang and without
NO_WERROR=. i'm now trying with NO_WERROR= set.

cheers.
alex

Re: setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf

Alexander Best-4
On Tue Feb 28 12, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> On 2012-02-26 22:37, Alexander Best wrote:
> > any chance support for setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf could be
> > added before the release of freebsd 10.0? the way it is done atm is really not
> > intuitive. the rule should really be:
> >
> > - make.conf = applies globally
> > - src.conf  = applies only to /usr/src
> > ( maybe a ports.conf or port.conf could be introduced at some point, too)
> >
> > ... the current situation, where only certain variables can be set in src.conf
> > is not ideal.
>
> I just committed r232263 to head, which should allow setting CC/CXX/CPP
> in src.conf.  Please try it out.

any chance we can have a CFLAGS.gcc and CFLAGS.clang in the future? that would
make certain things a lot easier. dealing with gcc specific options, such as
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 would simply work by setting
CFLAGS.gcc=-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 e.g.

cheers.
alex

Re: setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf

Ade Lovett
On 2/28/2012 14:11, Alexander Best wrote:
> any chance we can have a CFLAGS.gcc and CFLAGS.clang in the future? that would
> make certain things a lot easier. dealing with gcc specific options, such as
> -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 would simply work by setting
> CFLAGS.gcc=-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 e.g.

You already can:

CFLAGS.cc=      cc_cflags_here
CFLAGS.clang=   clang_cflags_here

CFLAGS+=        generic_cflags_here
CFLAGS+=        ${CFLAGS.${CC}}

-aDe

On Tue Feb 28 12, Alexander Best wrote:

> On Tue Feb 28 12, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> > On 2012-02-26 22:37, Alexander Best wrote:
> > > any chance support for setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf could be
> > > added before the release of freebsd 10.0? the way it is done atm is really not
> > > intuitive. the rule should really be:
> > >
> > > - make.conf = applies globally
> > > - src.conf  = applies only to /usr/src
> > > ( maybe a ports.conf or port.conf could be introduced at some point, too)
> > >
> > > ... the current situation, where only certain variables can be set in src.conf
> > > is not ideal.
> >
> > I just committed r232263 to head, which should allow setting CC/CXX/CPP
> > in src.conf.  Please try it out.
>
> it seems the latest libarchive import broke world with clang and without
> NO_WERROR=. i'm now trying with NO_WERROR= set.

with NO_WERROR= set buildworld succeeded.

cheers.
alex

> cheers.
> alex

Re: setting CC/CXX/CPP unconditionally in src.conf

Chuck Burns-2
On 2/28/2012 4:55 PM, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On 2/28/2012 14:11, Alexander Best wrote:
>> any chance we can have a CFLAGS.gcc and CFLAGS.clang in the future?
>> that would
>> make certain things a lot easier. dealing with gcc specific options,
>> such as
>> -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 would simply work by setting
>> CFLAGS.gcc=-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 e.g.
>
> You already can:
>
> CFLAGS.cc= cc_cflags_here
> CFLAGS.clang= clang_cflags_here
>
> CFLAGS+= generic_cflags_here
> CFLAGS+= ${CFLAGS.${CC}}
>

> -aDe

I think was asking for adding a third...
.cc for base gcc
.clang for .. clang......
and .gcc for ports gcc4x
..

At least, thats how I read it, I could be wrong, it's happened before.

Chuck

On 2/28/2012 16:08, Chuck Burns wrote:

> On 2/28/2012 4:55 PM, Ade Lovett wrote:
>> On 2/28/2012 14:11, Alexander Best wrote:
>>> any chance we can have a CFLAGS.gcc and CFLAGS.clang in the future?
>>> that would
>>> make certain things a lot easier. dealing with gcc specific options,
>>> such as
>>> -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 would simply work by setting
>>> CFLAGS.gcc=-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 e.g.
>>
>> You already can:
>>
>> CFLAGS.cc= cc_cflags_here
>> CFLAGS.clang= clang_cflags_here
>>
>> CFLAGS+= generic_cflags_here
>> CFLAGS+= ${CFLAGS.${CC}}
>>

>> -aDe
>
> I think was asking for adding a third...
> .cc for base gcc
> .clang for .. clang......
> and .gcc for ports gcc4x
> ..
>
> At least, thats how I read it, I could be wrong, it's happened before.

CFLAGS.gcc46= <foo>
CFLAGS.gcc47= <bar>

it's entirely extensible.

-aDe

On Tue Feb 28 12, Chuck Burns wrote:

> On 2/28/2012 4:55 PM, Ade Lovett wrote:
> >On 2/28/2012 14:11, Alexander Best wrote:
> >>any chance we can have a CFLAGS.gcc and CFLAGS.clang in the future?
> >>that would
> >>make certain things a lot easier. dealing with gcc specific options,
> >>such as
> >>-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 would simply work by setting
> >>CFLAGS.gcc=-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 e.g.
> >
> >You already can:
> >
> >CFLAGS.cc= cc_cflags_here
> >CFLAGS.clang= clang_cflags_here
> >
> >CFLAGS+= generic_cflags_here
> >CFLAGS+= ${CFLAGS.${CC}}
> >

> >-aDe
>
> I think was asking for adding a third...
> .cc for base gcc
> .clang for .. clang......
> and .gcc for ports gcc4x
> ..
>
> At least, thats how I read it, I could be wrong, it's happened before.

no you're right. ade's example suits users very well who want to use it in
their src.conf. however what i had in mind was something that can be put into
the makefiles by developers and which is implemented in *.mk mannor.

cheers.
alex