Removal of older releases...

Ken Smith-11

Late Friday evening (March 16, 2012) I'll be removing the release bits
and release package set for 7.4-RELEASE to help make space for the
upcoming 8.3-RELEASE bits.  If you like to keep the older stuff around
please make any adjustments to your sync setup that are needed to
prevent its removal when it gets removed from ftp-master.  As usual the
older release bits and package sets are available on the archive site.

Since builds for it stopped a while ago I will also be removing the
packages-6-stable trees for any architectures that still have it.  That
has also been copied to the archive site "for posterity" as the last set
of packages built for 6.X.

Thanks.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       [hidden email]

Re: Removal of older releases...

Maxim Konovalov-3
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, 08:51-0400, Ken Smith wrote:

> Late Friday evening (March 16, 2012) I'll be removing the release bits
> and release package set for 7.4-RELEASE to help make space for the
> upcoming 8.3-RELEASE bits.  If you like to keep the older stuff around
> please make any adjustments to your sync setup that are needed to
> prevent its removal when it gets removed from ftp-master.  As usual the
> older release bits and package sets are available on the archive site.
>
> Since builds for it stopped a while ago I will also be removing the
> packages-6-stable trees for any architectures that still have it.  That
> has also been copied to the archive site "for posterity" as the last set
> of packages built for 6.X.

While you are there could you please remove ancient snapshots there:

~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/

They are about 10% of whole ftp mirror size and serve no purposes.

Already asked hubs@ about that.

--
Maxim Konovalov

Re: Removal of older releases...

dougb

Re: Removal of older releases...

Erwin Lansing
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:54:18AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 03/15/2012 05:51, Ken Smith wrote:
> >
> > Late Friday evening (March 16, 2012) I'll be removing the release
> > bits and release package set for 7.4-RELEASE to help make space
> > for the upcoming 8.3-RELEASE bits.
>
> Given that 7.4 is still a supported release for another year, couldn't
> we find something else to trim? (Yes, I realize we have archives ...)

Note that it's only the release bits that are removed, not stable bits.
While we still support 7.4 from a security and package viewpoint, we
don't encourage new installations and recommend 8.x or even 9.x for
that.  While I personally would have liked to see them kept a bit
longer, I'm not against removing them at this point already.

Erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                   http://droso.org
Prediction is very difficult

On 03/16/2012 00:58, Erwin Lansing wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:54:18AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 03/15/2012 05:51, Ken Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Late Friday evening (March 16, 2012) I'll be removing the release
>>> bits and release package set for 7.4-RELEASE to help make space
>>> for the upcoming 8.3-RELEASE bits.
>>
>> Given that 7.4 is still a supported release for another year, couldn't
>> we find something else to trim? (Yes, I realize we have archives ...)
>>
> Note that it's only the release bits that are removed, not stable bits.

I don't understand that answer.

> While we still support 7.4 from a security and package viewpoint, we
> don't encourage new installations and recommend 8.x or even 9.x for
> that.

I get what you're saying. My point is that given that it's still a
supported release, it should be on the mirrors. Otherwise we have a
rather odd definition of "supported."