SEGV on jdk 1.5.0 @ amd64

Palle Girgensohn-2
Hi!

I have experienced two crashes pof the in the last 24 hours. This is on
freebsd-6.0-release @ amd64 with latest jdk-1.5.0p2_2

Hope this info can shed som light on this? Need more info? Just mail me.

/Palle

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000000800fed63c, pid=28464, tid=0x87b000
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
(1.5.0-p2-girgen_24_nov_2005_21_38 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0x68f63c]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as
/tmp/hs_err_pid28464.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please write
# a letter to [hidden email] mailing list
#

Re: SEGV on jdk 1.5.0 @ amd64

Vitaliy Skakun
Hi!

2005/12/20, Palle Girgensohn <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> I have experienced two crashes pof the in the last 24 hours. This is on
> freebsd-6.0-release @ amd64 with latest jdk-1.5.0p2_2
>
> [skipped]

Just my 2 cents:

I tried running Jboss 4.0.3SP1 with the following
- platform EM64T
- RELENG_6 of ~ 2 weeks ago dating, amd64
- JDK 1.5.0p2_2

and noticed that it works slow, even visually. Then I switched to i386 on
the same hardware and noticed that JBoss starts ~2 times faster, visually
works also faster. BTW buildworld works ~1.35 times faster.(Sorry, I do not
have benchmark results now.)

My conclusion was - still to use FreeBSD.i386 on EM64T hardware for JBoss
server.

Re: SEGV on jdk 1.5.0 @ amd64

Palle Girgensohn-2

--On tisdag, december 20, 2005 16.29.29 +0200 Vitaliy Skakun
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> 2005/12/20, Palle Girgensohn <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have experienced two crashes pof the in the last 24 hours. This is on
>> freebsd-6.0-release @ amd64 with latest jdk-1.5.0p2_2
>>
>> [skipped]
>
> Just my 2 cents:
>
> I tried running Jboss 4.0.3SP1 with the following
> - platform EM64T
> - RELENG_6 of ~ 2 weeks ago dating, amd64
> - JDK 1.5.0p2_2
>
> and noticed that it works slow, even visually. Then I switched to i386 on
> the same hardware and noticed that JBoss starts ~2 times faster, visually
> works also faster. BTW buildworld works ~1.35 times faster.(Sorry, I do
> not have benchmark results now.)
>
> My conclusion was - still to use FreeBSD.i386 on EM64T hardware for JBoss
> server.

Umm, OK. :(   We do use EM64T hardware, it is a Dell 2850. With i386, I
only get approx 2GB out of the four installed - that's why I tried
installing amd64.

We use just tomcat, not the entire jboss, but it does seem to be rather
slow, indeed.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

/Palle