Samba upgrade HowTo requested

Willy Offermans
Dear Samba friends,

Last weekend I decided to upgrade the samba server. We were running Samba
3.3 something and FreeBSD portupgrade was complaining that this version
should be removed and assumingly replaced by the newest version. I removed
the package via portupgrade and installed the 3.5.6 version. The upgrade
went quite smoothly in general, but I encountered some difficulties with
the printer drivers.

Before the upgrade we were able to print on 4 printers. After the upgrade
only 1.5 printer was working. 1 Printer worked as expected, 1 printer
printed only garbage and 2 printers were not working at all. I only managed
to solve the problems by de-installing and re-installing the printer
drivers on the samba server. So somehow the databases in
/var/db/samba/*.tdb have been messed up. I do not know what went wrong in
detail and neither do I know how to prevent these kind of issues in the
next upgrade.

What is the procedure to upgrade samba to the newest version? How should
one proceed and what are the pitfalls? How should we deal with the printer
definitions and printer drivers? What should we in general do with the
database files, next to backup?

And specifically for FreeBSD users: How should we deal with an upgrade of
samba via portupgrade?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy

Re: [Samba] Samba upgrade HowTo requested

Willy Offermans
Hello Peter,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 05:42:10PM +0300, Peter Trifonov wrote:

> Hi Willy,
>
> > Last weekend I decided to upgrade the samba server. We were running
> > Samba
> > 3.3 something and FreeBSD portupgrade was complaining that this version
> > should be removed and assumingly replaced by the newest version. I
> > removed the package via portupgrade and installed the 3.5.6 version. The
> Are you running  winbindd on this server? If yes, does it work properly?
> In my case it failed to communicate group IDs to the system, so I had to
> rollback to v. 3.4.9.
>
> > And specifically for FreeBSD users: How should we deal with an upgrade of
> samba via portupgrade?
> I have upgraded it many times before, and in most cases it was just make
> deinstall & make reinstall.
>

> With best regards,
> P. Trifonov

Concerning your first question:

No, we are not running winbindd, so I cannot tell you if it might work.

To your second remark:

Well, it might be that it has worked in your case, but certainly not in
mine. I do not know what happened to the drivers or database of the drivers, but
something was really messed up. I like to clarify this and to put it on a
higher level. I like to figure out what the procedure is to follow and how
we can inform the users about this procedure.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Willy

Re: [Samba] Samba upgrade HowTo requested

Willy Offermans
Hello tms3,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 07:27:17AM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> >Well, it might be that it has worked in your case, but certainly
> >not in
> >mine. I do not know what happened to the drivers or database of
> >the drivers, but
> >something was really messed up. I like to clarify this and to put
> >it on a
> >higher level. I like to figure out what the procedure is to follow
> >and how
> >we can inform the users about this procedure.
>
> Well, it might do you well to go over the list of dependencies that
> the port installed initially, and upgrade those components as well.
> I'm not sure what is NOT working for you, but as a general rule, I
> try to keep those dependecies up to date.
> >

> >--

I do not think that this issue is related to dependencies. Of course I need
to be sure that the dependencies are correctly installed as well, but this
job is accomplished by ``portupgrade -R -N'' quite well.

No, the real problem lays in the settings and databases created in a
previous version of samba, which will be lost, altered or corrupted upon an
upgrade. To phrase the questions again?

Is there a procedure on how to upgrade samba to a newer version?

How can the ignorant user be informed when using portupgrade?

I'm sorry, I just recall the UPDATING file in /usr/ports/. The
following is a cut from this file:

<snip>

20101026:
  AFFECTS: users of net/samba35
  AUTHOR: Timur Bakeyev <[hidden email]>

  This is the latest stable release of the Samba3 distribution. It has
  been extended with the experimental support of the NFS4-like ACLs on
  ZFS partitions, thanks to the sysutils/libsunacl library by Edward
  Tomasz Napierala(trasz). This support haven't been tested thoroughly,
  so try it on your own risk.

  This port reverted back to the pre- net/samba34 layout of the
  directories and now they are again $PREFIX/etc/samba, /var/run/samba,
  /var/log/samba, /var/db/samba and /var/spool/samba respectively.

  In case, you are upgrading from net/samba34, please rename
  corresponding samba34/ subdirectories into samba/ ones. Upgrades from
  older versions of Samba and fresh installations should be seamless.

</snip>

Especially the last sentence is of interest. I upgraded from samba 3.3.x to
3.5.6 and went smoothly in general, but only the printer drivers were
messed up. Maybe this behavior is not covered by the information in UPDATING.
Anyway, to my opinion there is a need for information on how to upgrade
samba.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy

*************************************
Dr. W.K. Offermans
CAT Postdoctoral Fellow
CAT Catalytic Center
Institut f�r Technische und Makromolekulare Chemie
RWTH Aachen
Worringerweg 1, Raum 38C-150
D-52074 Aachen, Germany
Phone:  +49 241 80 28592
Fax:    +49 241 80 22593
Home:   +31 45 544 49 44
Mobile: +31 681 15 87 68
e-mail: [hidden email]
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: [Samba] Samba upgrade HowTo requested

Volker Lendecke
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:26:12AM +0100, Willy Offermans wrote:

> I do not think that this issue is related to dependencies. Of course I need
> to be sure that the dependencies are correctly installed as well, but this
> job is accomplished by ``portupgrade -R -N'' quite well.
>
> No, the real problem lays in the settings and databases created in a
> previous version of samba, which will be lost, altered or corrupted upon an
> upgrade. To phrase the questions again?
>
> Is there a procedure on how to upgrade samba to a newer version?
>
> How can the ignorant user be informed when using portupgrade?
>
> I'm sorry, I just recall the UPDATING file in /usr/ports/. The
> following is a cut from this file:
>
> <snip>
>
> 20101026:
>   AFFECTS: users of net/samba35
>   AUTHOR: Timur Bakeyev <[hidden email]>
>
>   This is the latest stable release of the Samba3 distribution. It has
>   been extended with the experimental support of the NFS4-like ACLs on
>   ZFS partitions, thanks to the sysutils/libsunacl library by Edward
>   Tomasz Napierala(trasz). This support haven't been tested thoroughly,
>   so try it on your own risk.

This looks interesting. I just did a portsnap fetch update
in my FreeBSD 8.1 box, but I don't find that snippet. Where
can I find those patches?

Volker

Re: [Samba] Samba upgrade HowTo requested

Timur I. Bakeyev
Hi, Volker!

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Volker Lendecke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:26:12AM +0100, Willy Offermans wrote:
>>
>> 20101026:
>>   AFFECTS: users of net/samba35
>>   AUTHOR: Timur Bakeyev <[hidden email]>
>>
>>   This is the latest stable release of the Samba3 distribution. It has
>>   been extended with the experimental support of the NFS4-like ACLs on
>>   ZFS partitions, thanks to the sysutils/libsunacl library by Edward
>>   Tomasz Napierala(trasz). This support haven't been tested thoroughly,
>>   so try it on your own risk.
>
> This looks interesting. I just did a portsnap fetch update
> in my FreeBSD 8.1 box, but I don't find that snippet. Where
> can I find those patches?

There are small patches in the port itself to detect and incorporate
libsunacl via configure and build vfs_zfsacl module OOTB. As for the
lib itself - it is situated in /usr/ports/sysutils/libsunacl.

With regards,
Timur.