SheevaPlug

Balanga Bar
I got a SheevaPlug on Ebay recently and according to this link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug
FreeBSD 8.0 or newer is supposed to work on it.

I was told a FreeBSD SD card was available for it, but don't see one
available here:-
https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/All-SheevaPlug/SheevaPlug-Accessories/Sheeva-Pre-Configured-SD

Does anyone have any instructions on how to create one?

Re: SheevaPlug

Rodney W. Grimes-6
> I got a SheevaPlug on Ebay recently and according to this link
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug
> FreeBSD 8.0 or newer is supposed to work on it.
>
> I was told a FreeBSD SD card was available for it, but don't see one
> available here:-
> https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/All-SheevaPlug/SheevaPlug-Accessories/Sheeva-Pre-Configured-SD
>
> Does anyone have any instructions on how to create one?

Not sure if it well help, as I am not sure that SheevaPlug
is kirkwood or not, but I know the PogoPlug is.  Search
the mail list archives for resent emails on "Kirkwood",
someone has 11.2 running on this.

That would probably be a leap frog over 8.0

/var/mail/freebsd-rwg:Subject: Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

There I made the search easier, and did confirm this
is suppose to support some version of SheevaPlug
via the wiki.

PS: I have recently aquired a PogoPlug

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: SheevaPlug

Ronald Klop
On Tue, 21 May 2019 23:51:54 +0200, Balanga Bar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I got a SheevaPlug on Ebay recently and according to this link
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug
> FreeBSD 8.0 or newer is supposed to work on it.
>
> I was told a FreeBSD SD card was available for it, but don't see one
> available here:-
> https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/All-SheevaPlug/SheevaPlug-Accessories/Sheeva-Pre-Configured-SD

SD card reader is not supported on Sheevaplug.
Mine is running 11.2 currently from USB stick.

> Does anyone have any instructions on how to create one?

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Marvell

You can also learn from blogs/articles about booting Linux or FreeBSD or
similar hardware like Dreamplug.

Like:
http://mgiannakidis.blogspot.com/2010/08/freebsd-on-sheevaplug-howto.html
https://rickvanderzwet.nl/trac/personal/wiki/DreamPlug

Regards,
Ronald.

Re: SheevaPlug

Balanga Bar
Thanks for the links. I notice that the HowTo page is nine years old and
wonder if anything needs updating...

I did notice that the SHEEVAPLUG kernel configuration file in the HowTo
page is truncated. Any idea what's missing?

As for the SD Card reader support, has that ever existed? In the Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug it says it had FreeBSD support, so
would assume a Card must have need available at one time..

I'm particularly interested in the GOFLEX HOME unit and would love to find
a config file which lets me use a hard disk. I have it booting from a USB
stick but have hit a brick wall providing hard disk access. I guess I'll
put the GFH on the back burner and concentrate on the SheevaPlug.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 8:26 PM Ronald Klop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2019 23:51:54 +0200, Balanga Bar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I got a SheevaPlug on Ebay recently and according to this link
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug
> > FreeBSD 8.0 or newer is supposed to work on it.
> >
> > I was told a FreeBSD SD card was available for it, but don't see one
> > available here:-
> >
> https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/All-SheevaPlug/SheevaPlug-Accessories/Sheeva-Pre-Configured-SD
>
> SD card reader is not supported on Sheevaplug.
> Mine is running 11.2 currently from USB stick.
>
> > Does anyone have any instructions on how to create one?
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Marvell
>
> You can also learn from blogs/articles about booting Linux or FreeBSD or
> similar hardware like Dreamplug.
>
> Like:
> http://mgiannakidis.blogspot.com/2010/08/freebsd-on-sheevaplug-howto.html
> https://rickvanderzwet.nl/trac/personal/wiki/DreamPlug
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.

Re: SheevaPlug

Ian Lepore-3
On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 15:24 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:

> Thanks for the links. I notice that the HowTo page is nine years old and
> wonder if anything needs updating...
>
> I did notice that the SHEEVAPLUG kernel configuration file in the HowTo
> page is truncated. Any idea what's missing?
>
> As for the SD Card reader support, has that ever existed? In the Wiki
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug it says it had FreeBSD support, so
> would assume a Card must have need available at one time..
>
> I'm particularly interested in the GOFLEX HOME unit and would love to find
> a config file which lets me use a hard disk. I have it booting from a USB
> stick but have hit a brick wall providing hard disk access. I guess I'll
> put the GFH on the back burner and concentrate on the SheevaPlug.

It is astounding to me that you're investing so much effort into
hardware that doesn't really work properly with freebsd (as you're
discovering), isn't really supported by the project (as you're
discovering), and for those reasons, is unlikely to be included at all
after freebsd 13 (like, the code will probably be removed).

-- Ian

Re: SheevaPlug

Balanga Bar
The reasons I'm investing so much time and effort are:-

it's an opportunity to learn a new technology ie FreeBSD/ARM

discover something about building kernels

finish a long term project of replacing the stock Linux on my GoFlex Home
with FreeBSD

It is not clear to me if anyone has ever managed to run FreeBSD on one of
these units. I have reached the point where it runs OK but only when
booting from USB. If I manage to get it to recognise the hard disk I'll be
more than happy and am not really concerned about what may happen after
freebsd 13.

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 4:29 PM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 15:24 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > Thanks for the links. I notice that the HowTo page is nine years old and
> > wonder if anything needs updating...
> >
> > I did notice that the SHEEVAPLUG kernel configuration file in the HowTo
> > page is truncated. Any idea what's missing?
> >
> > As for the SD Card reader support, has that ever existed? In the Wiki
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug it says it had FreeBSD
> support, so
> > would assume a Card must have need available at one time..
> >
> > I'm particularly interested in the GOFLEX HOME unit and would love to
> find
> > a config file which lets me use a hard disk. I have it booting from a USB
> > stick but have hit a brick wall providing hard disk access. I guess I'll
> > put the GFH on the back burner and concentrate on the SheevaPlug.
> >

> It is astounding to me that you're investing so much effort into
> hardware that doesn't really work properly with freebsd (as you're
> discovering), isn't really supported by the project (as you're
> discovering), and for those reasons, is unlikely to be included at all
> after freebsd 13 (like, the code will probably be removed).
>
> -- Ian

Re: SheevaPlug

Jan Bramkamp-2
I did run FreeBSD 8.x on a DockStar based on the same Kirkwood SoC. Back
than ARM Support was a lot less mature and anything file system related
was painfully slow, because of the damn VIVT caches that required
special flags when mounting UFS to avoid running into aliassing
problems. When some "smart" userland code e.g. the perl5.8 build ran
into similar caching problem the kernel had to disable all caching for
the aliased memory mappings. This increased the perl5.8.9 build time to

On 29.05.19 09:40, Balanga Bar wrote:

> The reasons I'm investing so much time and effort are:-
>
> it's an opportunity to learn a new technology ie FreeBSD/ARM
>
> discover something about building kernels
>
> finish a long term project of replacing the stock Linux on my GoFlex Home
> with FreeBSD
>
> It is not clear to me if anyone has ever managed to run FreeBSD on one of
> these units. I have reached the point where it runs OK but only when
> booting from USB. If I manage to get it to recognise the hard disk I'll be
> more than happy and am not really concerned about what may happen after
> freebsd 13.
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 4:29 PM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 15:24 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
>>> Thanks for the links. I notice that the HowTo page is nine years old and
>>> wonder if anything needs updating...
>>>
>>> I did notice that the SHEEVAPLUG kernel configuration file in the HowTo
>>> page is truncated. Any idea what's missing?
>>>
>>> As for the SD Card reader support, has that ever existed? In the Wiki
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug it says it had FreeBSD
>> support, so
>>> would assume a Card must have need available at one time..
>>>
>>> I'm particularly interested in the GOFLEX HOME unit and would love to
>> find
>>> a config file which lets me use a hard disk. I have it booting from a USB
>>> stick but have hit a brick wall providing hard disk access. I guess I'll
>>> put the GFH on the back burner and concentrate on the SheevaPlug.
>>>

>> It is astounding to me that you're investing so much effort into
>> hardware that doesn't really work properly with freebsd (as you're
>> discovering), isn't really supported by the project (as you're
>> discovering), and for those reasons, is unlikely to be included at all
>> after freebsd 13 (like, the code will probably be removed).
>>
>> -- Ian

Re: SheevaPlug

Balanga Bar
I'm not sure what a Dockstar is. Does it use a SATA connector?

If I could boot from a hard disk, I'd be happy with 8.x.