Short FreeBSD talk on 34c3?

Hannes Hauswedell-5
Hi everyone,

the FSFE is planning a session on the 34th Chaos Communication Congress
about Free operating systems that are not based on Linux. We want to
promote "free software diversity" and would love have someone introduce
FreeBSD to the audience. We are also inviting the other BSDs,
OpenSolaris/IllumOS and also GNU/Hurd :D

The session will be part of the unofficial program and will likely be
held in the large assembly space of the more political organisations.
Last year we have had community sessions with over a hundred people so
it is an opportunity to present FreeBSD to an interested crowd. More
details on the session here:
https://blog.3rik.cc/2017/10/call-for-sessions-at-the-fsfe-assembly-during-34c3/

The person presenting doesn't in anyway have to represent the foundation
or even be developer, although it would be good if they know FreeBSD
since more than a year so they can answer questions.

Format of the short talk:
* max. 10min talk/presentation + 5min Q+A
* one slide about yourself and your role in / experience with the project
* one slide with quick facts of your project (since when? how many
developers? size of community, commercial users? License? frequency of
updates ...)
* then pick some things that are specific to your OS or that you think
are interesting
* doesn't have to be a complete overview, it's ok to cover some
highlights and some differences to other OSs, especially Linux
* you can also demonstrate something practical, e.g. how easy it is to
configure your operating system's firewall compared to iptables.

Is anyone that you know going to 34c3 that would like to do this? Please
feel free to forward this to other people or mailing lists. And please
get back to me ASAP if you want to volunteer!

Thank you and best regards,
Hannes (German team of the FSFE and a long-time FreeBSD user)

Re: Short FreeBSD talk on 34c3?

Julian H. Stacey-3
Hannes Hauswedell wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> the FSFE is planning a session on the 34th Chaos Communication Congress
> about Free operating systems that are not based on Linux. We want to
> promote "free software diversity" and would love have someone introduce
> FreeBSD to the audience. We are also inviting the other BSDs,
> OpenSolaris/IllumOS and also GNU/Hurd :D

27th to 30th December 2017, 34th Chaos Communication Congress Leipzig.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=leipzig#map=11/51.3395/12.3811
South West of Berlin, Germany, Europe

I've forwarded to Munich Germany group:
        http://berklix.org/bim/ Berkeley In Munich

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey, Computer Consultant, BSD Linux Unix Systems Engineer, Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.

bsd assembly at 34c3 (and 35c3)! ; Re: Short FreeBSD talk on 34c3?

vater-2

On 12/09/2017 01:40, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hannes Hauswedell wrote:
>> the FSFE is planning a session on the 34th Chaos Communication Congress
>> about Free operating systems that are not based on Linux. We want to
>> promote "free software diversity" and would love have someone introduce
>> FreeBSD to the audience. We are also inviting the other BSDs,
>> OpenSolaris/IllumOS and also GNU/Hurd :D
> 27th to 30th December 2017, 34th Chaos Communication Congress Leipzig.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=leipzig#map=11/51.3395/12.3811
> South West of Berlin, Germany, Europe

so see you at the bsd assembly of course ;-)
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/wiki/Assembly:BSD

last year (33c3) i "reestablished" an assembly for bsd (and other sweet
unix flavors) at (chaos communication) congress.
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2016/wiki/Assembly:BSD
https://media.c3d2.de/u/vater/m/blob-1cbe/

for next year (35c3 (27th to 30th december 2018 in germany)) i would
like to organize "a big one". so please take a note in your calendars
for the end of 2018 everyone. if you are interested to join 35c3 let me
know.