Should savecore run before swap?

dougb
Please see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/73834, which
looks reasonable to me. Opinions?

Doug

Re: Should savecore run before swap?

Ed Maste
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 01:10:40AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

> Please see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/73834, which
> looks reasonable to me. Opinions?

I believe one reason swap is done so early is that fsck might need swap
space, and savecore clearly needs a clean filesystem.

-ed

Re: Should savecore run before swap?

Yar Tikhiy-2
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:22:01AM -0500, Ed Maste wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 01:10:40AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > Please see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/73834, which
> > looks reasonable to me. Opinions?
>
> I believe one reason swap is done so early is that fsck might need swap
> space, and savecore clearly needs a clean filesystem.

Another point to note is that core files are saved to /var/crash by
default, which in general might need mountcritremote.  BTW, currently
mountcrit* isn't on the REQUIRE line of savecore though.

--
Yar