Sloow blender on FreeBSD (vs Ubuntu)

Mathias Picker-3
Hi all,

the last days I tried to get blender into working state on a 2nd
gen Thinkpad X1 Yoga.

tl;dr

blender is stuttering and jerky on my X1 running an I7-8550U /
UHD620 (4-core, 2/4Ghz) and FreeBSD, while it works like a charm
on my Surface Go Pentium Gold 4415Y/HD615 (2-core, 1.6Ghz) with
Ubuntu.
This is both on 12-STABLE and -CURRENT. It’s a bit better on
-CURRENT, but still horrible.

Is there any way to speed blender up on FreeBSD?

Long version:
I wanted to try out blenders Grease Pencil, up until now I only
used blender for video editing.

GP or rotating 3D-Scenes in blender 2.90 on 12-STABLE was
abysmally slow and crashed repeatedly after a few strokes with
grease pencil or a few minutes work in the 3D-view with:
Jan  4 23:04:17 Danton kernel: drmn0: GPU HANG: ecode
9:1:0x87f99eb9, in blender [100824], hang on rcs0
Jan  4 23:04:17 Danton kernel: drmn0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on
rcs0

The GPU reset did not work, machine hangs, reboot via ssh.

Recompiled blender, tried older version, all with the same result,
although 2.8x seemed a bit faster, but still slow & crashes.

Searched the web, found similar problems by others on Linux,
suggested KMS update.

So I switched to -CURRENT with drm-current-kmod (5.4 instead of
4.5)

Same GPU hang, but here the reset works. Performance *slightly*
better, but every hang takes about 2 sec, no way to work with
this.

Updating X1 bios - now the error did not happen for quite some
time.

But still, quite slow. Stuttering when rotating the default cube
in simple solid  or  wireframe mode. On a I7-8550U running full
speed (hwpstate_intel with epp=0), cpu freq between 2500 and
3900).

Installed mesa-devel:the GPU hang is back.

Recompiled blender to 2.91.0_2, mesa-devel, drm everything. No
more GPU hang for now, but still stuttering motions, Grease Pencil
strokes hang back 1-2 seconds from my stylus.

Then I tried my 1st gen Surface Go 8Gb running Ubuntu: Blender is
blazing fast for these simple tasks. Fluid rotation, allmost real
time grease pencil:WTF?

This is an i7-8550U quad core running 2/4Ghz with an UHD620 GPU
against a Pentium Gold, and the Pentium wins hands down?

I would really *love* to get blender up even only to Pentium
speed. Blender with simple models in solid mode should *fly* on my
X1, same with a few Grease Pencil strokes…

Any ideas, help, suggestion?

Thanks, Mathias

--
Mathias Picker
Geschäftsführer

virtual earth Gesellschaft für Wissens re/prä sentation mbH
http://www.virtual-earth.de/           HRB126870
[hidden email]               Westendstr. 142
089 / 1250 3943

Re: Sloow blender on FreeBSD (vs Ubuntu)

Mathias Picker-3
Well, I forgot to include some info about the system:

dmesg https://pastebin.com/RGA3VLiB
xorg.log https://pastebin.com/8C49UGKk

anything else, just ask.

> [...]

>> with epp=0), cpu freq between 2500 and 3900).
>>
>> Installed mesa-devel:the GPU hang is back.
>>
>> Recompiled blender to 2.91.0_2, mesa-devel, drm everything. No
>> more GPU hang
>> for now, but still stuttering motions, Grease Pencil
>> strokes hang back 1-2 seconds from my stylus.
>>
>> Then I tried my 1st gen Surface Go 8Gb running Ubuntu: Blender
>> is
>> blazing fast for these simple tasks. Fluid rotation, allmost
>> real
>> time grease pencil:WTF?
>>
>> This is an i7-8550U quad core running 2/4Ghz with an UHD620 GPU
>> against a
>> Pentium Gold, and the Pentium wins hands down?
>>
>> I would really *love* to get blender up even only to Pentium
>> speed. Blender
>> with simple models in solid mode should *fly* on my
>> X1, same with a few Grease Pencil strokes…

Just tried a live CD of Ubuntu on the same machine, with the demo
Race Spaceship
https://download.blender.org/demo/eevee/race_spaceship/race_spaceship.blend

This is a compley scene and can be rotated with ubuntu in real
time in material mode, and is only very slightly lagging in
rendered mode.

On FreeBSD that spaceship rotates about as slow and stuttery as
the default cube.
So it does not seem to be dependent on the complexity of the
scene.

Any ideas where to look?

Any ideas whom to ask?

Thanks, Mathias

--
Mathias Picker
Geschäftsführer
[hidden email]

virtual earth Gesellschaft für Wissens re/prä sentation mbH
http://www.virtual-earth.de/           HRB126870
[hidden email]               Westendstr. 142
089 / 1250 3943

SOLVED Re: Sloow blender on FreeBSD (vs Ubuntu)

Mathias Picker-3

> [...]

>>> I would really *love* to get blender up even only to Pentium
>>> speed. Blender
>>> with simple models in solid mode should *fly* on my X1, same
>>> with a few
>>> Grease Pencil strokes…
>>>

>>> Any ideas, help, suggestion?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Mathias
>
> Just tried a live CD of Ubuntu on the same machine, with the
> demo Race Spaceship
> https://download.blender.org/demo/eevee/race_spaceship/race_spaceship.blend
>
> This is a compley scene and can be rotated with ubuntu in real
> time in material
> mode, and is only very slightly lagging in rendered mode.
>
> On FreeBSD that spaceship rotates about as slow and stuttery as
> the default
> cube.
> So it does not seem to be dependent on the complexity of the

Using either

vblank_mode=0 blender

or

LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 blender

gives me the speed I need. Now it’s faster than the surface go ;)

/ Mathias