Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Marc Fournier-4

I need to load FreeBSD 10.x onto VPSs over at Softlayer, and, since its “not supported” by them, its like banging head against a wall …

The easiest, I think, would be to create a image in VirtualBox, and then I need to someone translate from VirtualBox -> ISO so that I can upload it to them to have it loaded … what is eluding me is how to convert from VirtualBox -> ISO …  there is no “export ISO” option …

has anyone had any experience with Softlayer and loading a FreeBSD VPS there?   And, if not, can someone suggest a good tool that will allow me to create an ISO from a VirtualBox build?   Or, if this makes any sense, of building an ISO from a running FreeBSD system, irrelevant of VirtualBox?

Thx …

Marc G Fournier
Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Jungle Boogie
Hi Marc,
On 11 June 2015 at 13:04, Marc Fournier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I need to load FreeBSD 10.x onto VPSs over at Softlayer, and, since its “not supported” by them, its like banging head against a wall …

If they give you over the internet console access via ipmi or
something, you can upload the iso directly. Do you know if they give
you that access?

VPS provider https://www.vultr.com/ gives you that access and they
have freeBSD images.

Good luck with the head banging!

--
-------
inum: 883510009027723

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Marc Fournier-4

Marc G Fournier
Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 13:25, jungle Boogie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Marc,
> On 11 June 2015 at 13:04, Marc Fournier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I need to load FreeBSD 10.x onto VPSs over at Softlayer, and, since its “not supported” by them, its like banging head against a wall …
>
> If they give you over the internet console access via ipmi or
> something, you can upload the iso directly. Do you know if they give
> you that access?

That gave us IPMI access for the Bare Metal server we put in place, but no KVM access for VPS … for VPS, I need to create an ISO of my install, upload that and then they effectively ‘dd’ it to the VPS, which is cool, but I need to figure out how to create an image based on a VirtualBox build on a Mac OS X system :)

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Carsten Heesch

> That gave us IPMI access for the Bare Metal server we put in place,
> but no KVM access for VPS … for VPS, I need to create an ISO of my
> install, upload that and then they effectively ‘dd’ it to the VPS,
> which is cool, but I need to figure out how to create an image based
> on a VirtualBox build on a Mac OS X system :)

If they really just "dd" it, then a RAW image of your Virtualbox
instance should work, shouldn't it?

Choose QCOW as the disk format in VirtualBox, and then use "qemu-img
convert" to make a raw image.

qemu-img apparently understands other formats like VDI and VDMK too, but
I have only ever used QCOW-to-RAW myself for similar situations with
other providers.

I haven't got any OSX devices available at the moment, but apparently
Qemu is available in Macports and should contain qemu-img.

Cheers
Carsten

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Marc Fournier-4

Marc G Fournier
Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 15:27, Carsten Heesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> That gave us IPMI access for the Bare Metal server we put in place,
>> but no KVM access for VPS … for VPS, I need to create an ISO of my
>> install, upload that and then they effectively ‘dd’ it to the VPS,
>> which is cool, but I need to figure out how to create an image based
>> on a VirtualBox build on a Mac OS X system :)
>
> If they really just "dd" it, then a RAW image of your Virtualbox
> instance should work, shouldn't it?

I knew when I typed this that I shouldn’t have .. :)   I don’t know what they do exactly, getting info out of htem is like pulling teeth … so far, I’m not even sure what I should be setting for ethernet configuration, although I’m suspecting “DHCP”, else I’d have to load a new ISO for each VPS I’m setting up …

> Choose QCOW as the disk format in VirtualBox, and then use "qemu-img
> convert" to make a raw image.

I have several FreeBSD boxes, so if there is a method of converting from “XYZ -> ISO” using FreeBSD, that is cool too … I can make / configure the image on my desktop, upload to my server and do the conversion there …

I can use qemu-img to pretty much convert to any format (except ISO) … but how do I get to that final step?

Thinking this through … ppl make livecd’s, so this is obviously possible … does it make sense that that is all I need to do?   Although I’ve never done it, mind you, but if I were to upload a regular liveCD, and they installed / booted that, that should be it … or am I overlookign something?

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Lacey Powers

On 06/11/2015 16:00, Marc Fournier wrote:

> Marc G Fournier
> Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.
>
>> On Jun 11, 2015, at 15:27, Carsten Heesch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> That gave us IPMI access for the Bare Metal server we put in place,
>>> but no KVM access for VPS … for VPS, I need to create an ISO of my
>>> install, upload that and then they effectively ‘dd’ it to the VPS,
>>> which is cool, but I need to figure out how to create an image based
>>> on a VirtualBox build on a Mac OS X system :)
>> If they really just "dd" it, then a RAW image of your Virtualbox
>> instance should work, shouldn't it?
> I knew when I typed this that I shouldn’t have .. :)   I don’t know what they do exactly, getting info out of htem is like pulling teeth … so far, I’m not even sure what I should be setting for ethernet configuration, although I’m suspecting “DHCP”, else I’d have to load a new ISO for each VPS I’m setting up …
>
>> Choose QCOW as the disk format in VirtualBox, and then use "qemu-img
>> convert" to make a raw image.
> I have several FreeBSD boxes, so if there is a method of converting from “XYZ -> ISO” using FreeBSD, that is cool too … I can make / configure the image on my desktop, upload to my server and do the conversion there …
>
> I can use qemu-img to pretty much convert to any format (except ISO) … but how do I get to that final step?
>
> Thinking this through … ppl make livecd’s, so this is obviously possible … does it make sense that that is all I need to do?   Although I’ve never done it, mind you, but if I were to upload a regular liveCD, and they installed / booted that, that should be it … or am I overlookign something?

Hello Marc,

Sounds like the last thing you need is to mount the image, and use
mkisofs to make your own iso

There are examples here,

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/creating-cds.html

and there are also tools for making releases or custom releases in
/usr/src/releaseoutlined in

man 7 release

Which might be easier to use and customize than coercing a VirtualBox
image into something useful.

But, the basic command for making an ISO is something like this:

|# mkisofs -R -o /tmp/FreeBSD-Custom.iso /path/to/my/mounted/disk/image|

You might need to change the options to suit your needs, though.

It's been awhile since I last made custom CDs.

Hope that helps.=)

Regards,

Lacey

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Marc Fournier-4

Marc G Fournier
Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 17:13, Lacey Powers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 06/11/2015 16:00, Marc Fournier wrote:
>> Marc G Fournier
>> Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.

>>> If they really just "dd" it, then a RAW image of your Virtualbox
>>> instance should work, shouldn't it?
>> I knew when I typed this that I shouldn’t have .. :)   I don’t know what they do exactly, getting info out of htem is like pulling teeth … so far, I’m not even sure what I should be setting for ethernet configuration, although I’m suspecting “DHCP”, else I’d have to load a new ISO for each VPS I’m setting up …
>>
>>> Choose QCOW as the disk format in VirtualBox, and then use "qemu-img
>>> convert" to make a raw image.
>> I have several FreeBSD boxes, so if there is a method of converting from “XYZ -> ISO” using FreeBSD, that is cool too … I can make / configure the image on my desktop, upload to my server and do the conversion there …
>>
>> I can use qemu-img to pretty much convert to any format (except ISO) … but how do I get to that final step?
>>
>> Thinking this through … ppl make livecd’s, so this is obviously possible … does it make sense that that is all I need to do?   Although I’ve never done it, mind you, but if I were to upload a regular liveCD, and they installed / booted that, that should be it … or am I overlookign something?

> Hello Marc,
>
> Sounds like the last thing you need is to mount the image, and use mkisofs to make your own iso
>
> There are examples here,
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/creating-cds.html
>
> and there are also tools for making releases or custom releases in /usr/src/releaseoutlined in
>
> man 7 release
>
> Which might be easier to use and customize than coercing a VirtualBox image into something useful.
>
> But, the basic command for making an ISO is something like this:
>
> |# mkisofs -R -o /tmp/FreeBSD-Custom.iso /path/to/my/mounted/disk/image|
>
> You might need to change the options to suit your needs, though.
>
> It's been awhile since I last made custom CDs.
>
> Hope that helps.=)

Thanks .. .we’ll see how helpful, but I’m almost ready to drop these guys and go to Backspace … there website explicitly states “FreeBSD” http://www.softlayer.com/software <http://www.softlayer.com/software> … yet nobody there seems to be much help in getting it installed …

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Dan Busarow-2
Marc,

Checkout rootbsd.net

I have 10 VPS and 1 dedicated server there.  Excellent BSD support as
you might gather from the name.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow
 BuildingOnline.com

On 6/11/15 6:28 PM, Marc Fournier wrote:

> Marc G Fournier
> Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.
>
>> On Jun 11, 2015, at 17:13, Lacey Powers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 06/11/2015 16:00, Marc Fournier wrote:
>>> Marc G Fournier
>>> Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.

>>> I knew when I typed this that I shouldn’t have .. :)   I don’t know what they do exactly, getting info out of htem is like pulling teeth … so far, I’m not even sure what I should be setting for ethernet configuration, although I’m suspecting “DHCP”, else I’d have to load a new ISO for each VPS I’m setting up …

>>> I have several FreeBSD boxes, so if there is a method of converting from “XYZ -> ISO” using FreeBSD, that is cool too … I can make / configure the image on my desktop, upload to my server and do the conversion there …
>>>
>>> I can use qemu-img to pretty much convert to any format (except ISO) … but how do I get to that final step?
>>>
>>> Thinking this through … ppl make livecd’s, so this is obviously possible … does it make sense that that is all I need to do?   Although I’ve never done it, mind you, but if I were to upload a regular liveCD, and they installed / booted that, that should be it … or am I overlookign something?

>> Hello Marc,
>>
>> Sounds like the last thing you need is to mount the image, and use mkisofs to make your own iso
>>
>> There are examples here,
>>
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/creating-cds.html
>>
>> and there are also tools for making releases or custom releases in /usr/src/releaseoutlined in
>>
>> man 7 release
>>
>> Which might be easier to use and customize than coercing a VirtualBox image into something useful.
>>
>> But, the basic command for making an ISO is something like this:
>>
>> |# mkisofs -R -o /tmp/FreeBSD-Custom.iso /path/to/my/mounted/disk/image|
>>
>> You might need to change the options to suit your needs, though.
>>
>> It's been awhile since I last made custom CDs.
>>
>> Hope that helps.=)
>
> Thanks .. .we’ll see how helpful, but I’m almost ready to drop these guys and go to Backspace … there website explicitly states “FreeBSD” http://www.softlayer.com/software <http://www.softlayer.com/software> … yet nobody there seems to be much help in getting it installed …

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Jason Fortezzo
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 06:44:15PM -0600, Dan Busarow wrote:
> Checkout rootbsd.net
>
> I have 10 VPS and 1 dedicated server there.  Excellent BSD support as
> you might gather from the name.

I've had a different experience with rootbsd.net.  I've had a VPS for 2
years with them and the service has just been "OK".

 - They have a local SVN mirror but it's either out of date or broken
 - They don't keep their VNC proxy or backup FreeBSD server patched.
 - No local NTP servers.
 - I was recently moved to a new Xen VPS which has made PF unusable.

I've since moved to a new provider running directly on bare metal for
just a little more $$$ a month.

--
Jason Fortezzo

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Janos Dohanics
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:44:15 -0600
Dan Busarow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marc,
>
> Checkout rootbsd.net
>
> I have 10 VPS and 1 dedicated server there.  Excellent BSD support as
> you might gather from the name.
>
> Dan
> --
>  Dan Busarow
>  BuildingOnline.com
>  http://www.BuildingOnline.net/
>  888-496-6648 ext 218

I second that. Their service has been reliable, and their support is
prompt and knowledgeable.

--
Janos Dohanics

Re: Softlayer VPS: Loading FreeBSD

Gregory Orange
On 12/06/15 04:04, Marc Fournier wrote:
> has anyone had any experience with Softlayer and loading a FreeBSD VPS there?   And, if not, can someone suggest a good tool that will allow me to create an ISO from a VirtualBox build?   Or, if this makes any sense, of building an ISO from a running FreeBSD system, irrelevant of VirtualBox?

I happened to be in Dallas late last year and arranged a site visit and
meeting with our SoftLayer contacts. We discussed this precise issue,
and they had a suggestion for loading a custom ISO. We haven't yet
explored the issue because so far we only use physical machines for
FreeBSD, but here are some links they gave me:

http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/import-image
http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/articles/access-and-securely-store-isos
http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/procedure/mount-iso-ipmiview-0

I'm looking forward to trying it out when we get to it.

Overall, we have had excellent service from SoftLayer - both technical
and account-related.

HTH,
Greg.