Spoiler Alert

Cy Schubert-4
This came over my phone's news feed. Another example that Colin Percival was right when he wrote his paper on exploiting cache for fun and profit many years ago.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.00446.pdf

--
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use.
Cheers,

Re: Spoiler Alert

freebsd-security mailing list
Ha! the speculations and revelations of a FreeBSD hacker are certainly not one to be ignored. Chock another one up to Colin!!!

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 13:20, Cy Schubert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This came over my phone's news feed. Another example that Colin Percival was right when he wrote his paper on exploiting cache for fun and profit many years ago.
>
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.00446.pdf
>

> --
> Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use.
> Cheers,
> Cy Schubert <[hidden email]>
> FreeBSD UNIX: <[hidden email]> Web: http://www.FreeBSD.org
>
> The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few.

J. Hellenthal

The fact that there's a highway to Hell but only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.

Re: Spoiler Alert

Shawn Webb-3
On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 11:20:51AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
> This came over my phone's news feed. Another example that Colin Percival was right when he wrote his paper on exploiting cache for fun and profit many years ago.

Weird machines are weird.

Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

Tor-ified Signal:    +1 443-546-8752
Tor+XMPP+OTR:        [hidden email]
GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE

Re: Spoiler Alert

Lev Serebryakov
On 05.03.2019 22:55, Shawn Webb wrote:

>> This came over my phone's news feed. Another example that Colin Percival was right when he wrote his paper on exploiting cache for fun and profit many years ago.
>
> Weird machines are weird.
 Not-weird machines are dead-slow :-(

--
// Lev Serebryakov

Re: Spoiler Alert

Cy Schubert-4
In message <[hidden email]>, Lev
Serebryakov
writes:
> On 05.03.2019 22:55, Shawn Webb wrote:
>
> >> This came over my phone's news feed. Another example that Colin Perciv=
> al was right when he wrote his paper on exploiting cache for fun and prof=
> it many years ago.
> >=20
> > Weird machines are weird.
>  Not-weird machines are dead-slow :-(

Picking a random email in this thread to reply.

The problem is that there are so many of these Spectre class of
exploits that we collectively roll our eyes. Yet another one is not
news any more.

Cy Schubert <[hidden email]>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <[hidden email]>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org

Re: Spoiler Alert

Garrett Wollman-4
<<On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 05:32:56 -0800, Cy Schubert <[hidden email]> said:

> In message <[hidden email]>, Lev
> Serebryakov
> writes:

>> al was right when he wrote his paper on exploiting cache for fun and prof=
>> it many years ago.
>> >=20
>> > Weird machines are weird.
>> Not-weird machines are dead-slow :-(

> Picking a random email in this thread to reply.

> The problem is that there are so many of these Spectre class of
> exploits that we collectively roll our eyes. Yet another one is not
> news any more.

And that's likely the way it's going to be, absent some major new
discovery or a complete revolution in the way we program computers
(which probably puts FreeBSD out of a job).

I actually attended a very interesting talk by John Hennessey today in
which he discussed (at a very high level) one idea for where this
goes, and it's very definitely in the mode of completely different
programming models combined with completely different hardware
designs.  One big part of this is that more compute hardware is going
the way of GPUs, where the only supported interface is provided by a
blob of proprietary software so the hardware vendor is much more free
to change the implementation without maintaining hardware-level (or
even ISA-level) compatibility.  And a lot more hardware explicit
fetch/store to different levels of the memory hierarchy.

-GAWollman

Re: Spoiler Alert

Cy Schubert-4
In message <[hidden email]>, Garrett
Wollman
writes:

> <<On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 05:32:56 -0800, Cy Schubert <[hidden email]>
>  said:
>
> > In message <[hidden email]>, Lev
> > Serebryakov
> > writes:

> >> al was right when he wrote his paper on exploiting cache for fun and prof=
> >> it many years ago.
> >> Not-weird machines are dead-slow :-(
>
> > Picking a random email in this thread to reply.
>
> > The problem is that there are so many of these Spectre class of
> > exploits that we collectively roll our eyes. Yet another one is not
> > news any more.
>
> And that's likely the way it's going to be, absent some major new
> discovery or a complete revolution in the way we program computers
> (which probably puts FreeBSD out of a job).

Probably but likely not before I or maybe you retire.

But sadly, we're becoming accustomed to the brokenness of the
situation. At $JOB people who would normally be alarmed by this are
shrugging it off as the new normal.

> I actually attended a very interesting talk by John Hennessey today in
> which he discussed (at a very high level) one idea for where this
> goes, and it's very definitely in the mode of completely different
> programming models combined with completely different hardware
> designs.  One big part of this is that more compute hardware is going
> the way of GPUs, where the only supported interface is provided by a
> blob of proprietary software so the hardware vendor is much more free
> to change the implementation without maintaining hardware-level (or
> even ISA-level) compatibility.  And a lot more hardware explicit
> fetch/store to different levels of the memory hierarchy.

Kind of like the Cray's of old front ended by an IBM manframe or more
probably like the MASPAR (a massively parallel processor front ended by
a Tru64 box where I once worked).