State of Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

State of Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?

Wolfgang Zenker-2
[crossposted to -stable and -i18n, replies directed to -stable]

Hi everyone,

could someone point me to infos regarding Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?
All I could find was https://wiki.freebsd.org/KonradJankowski/Collation but
that page has not been changed in more than two years. Looking at sources of
-current it doesn't look like those changes made it into the source tree yet.

Wolfgang
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-i18n
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: State of Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?

David DEMELIER
2013/8/28 Wolfgang Zenker <[hidden email]>:

> [crossposted to -stable and -i18n, replies directed to -stable]
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> could someone point me to infos regarding Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?
> All I could find was https://wiki.freebsd.org/KonradJankowski/Collation but
> that page has not been changed in more than two years. Looking at sources of
> -current it doesn't look like those changes made it into the source tree yet.
>
> Wolfgang

I think no one is really interested to add real UTF-8 support to
Syscons. Currently you can get UTF-8 output by using Syscons xterm
ttys (which is default) and set your appropriate locales. For input
it's currently (unfortunately) not supported.

If you use X.Org, then your fine using UTF-8.

Cheers,

--
Demelier David
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-i18n
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: State of Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?

Slawa Olhovchenkov
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:26:29AM +0200, David Demelier wrote:

> 2013/8/28 Wolfgang Zenker <[hidden email]>:
> > [crossposted to -stable and -i18n, replies directed to -stable]
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > could someone point me to infos regarding Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?
> > All I could find was https://wiki.freebsd.org/KonradJankowski/Collation but
> > that page has not been changed in more than two years. Looking at sources of
> > -current it doesn't look like those changes made it into the source tree yet.
> >
> > Wolfgang
>
> I think no one is really interested to add real UTF-8 support to
> Syscons. Currently you can get UTF-8 output by using Syscons xterm
> ttys (which is default) and set your appropriate locales. For input
> it's currently (unfortunately) not supported.
>
> If you use X.Org, then your fine using UTF-8.

Why you talk about syscons?
This is about sort, postgres and other software.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-i18n
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: State of Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?

Wolfgang Zenker-2
In reply to this post by David DEMELIER
* David Demelier <[hidden email]> [130910 10:26]:
> 2013/8/28 Wolfgang Zenker <[hidden email]>:
>> [crossposted to -stable and -i18n]
>> could someone point me to infos regarding Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?
>> All I could find was https://wiki.freebsd.org/KonradJankowski/Collation but
>> that page has not been changed in more than two years. Looking at sources of
>> -current it doesn't look like those changes made it into the source tree yet.

> I think no one is really interested to add real UTF-8 support to
> Syscons. Currently you can get UTF-8 output by using Syscons xterm
> ttys (which is default) and set your appropriate locales. For input
> it's currently (unfortunately) not supported.

> If you use X.Org, then your fine using UTF-8.

There might be a misunderstanding: Collation is about ordering characters and
sorting strings. What we have in FreeBSD right now is support for input and
output of utf-8 characters, and with X11 and the right set of fonts they
display ok, and at least using vim editing utf-8 text works ok. But sorting
utf-8 strings yields "interesting" results as soon as you have non-ascii
characters in your strings.

Wolfgang
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-i18n
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: State of Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?

David DEMELIER
2013/9/10 Wolfgang Zenker <[hidden email]>:

> * David Demelier <[hidden email]> [130910 10:26]:
>> 2013/8/28 Wolfgang Zenker <[hidden email]>:
>>> [crossposted to -stable and -i18n]
>>> could someone point me to infos regarding Unicode collation support in FreeBSD?
>>> All I could find was https://wiki.freebsd.org/KonradJankowski/Collation but
>>> that page has not been changed in more than two years. Looking at sources of
>>> -current it doesn't look like those changes made it into the source tree yet.
>
>> I think no one is really interested to add real UTF-8 support to
>> Syscons. Currently you can get UTF-8 output by using Syscons xterm
>> ttys (which is default) and set your appropriate locales. For input
>> it's currently (unfortunately) not supported.
>
>> If you use X.Org, then your fine using UTF-8.
>
> There might be a misunderstanding: Collation is about ordering characters and
> sorting strings. What we have in FreeBSD right now is support for input and
> output of utf-8 characters, and with X11 and the right set of fonts they
> display ok, and at least using vim editing utf-8 text works ok. But sorting
> utf-8 strings yields "interesting" results as soon as you have non-ascii
> characters in your strings.
>

Aaah, okay sorry I really did misunderstanding the question yes ;-).

Regards,

--
Demelier David
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-i18n
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"