Subversion Repository Mirroring

John Marshall-2
It is now over four years since we migrated src to a Subversion
repository but we've kept exporting current work to CVS and making the
src tree available around the globe via the CVSup mirrors.  The ports
tree is migrating to Subversion today with, I understand, plans to
export future updates to CVS as well.  The doc tree was migrated to a
Subversion repository a couple of months ago but is not being exported
to CVS, so the doc and www source trees still being distributed via the
CVSup mirrors are stale.

Is it time to do something about mirroring the Subversion repositories?

Yesterday I set up unofficial mirrors of the src and doc Subversion
repositories on the machine which hosts the Australian CVSup mirror: I
plan to do the same with the ports repository once it is in production.
Is it appropriate to make any Subversion mirrors official and allocate
'svn' domain names, or are Subversion mirrors something the FreeBSD
Project "doesn't do"?  I would just go ahead and ask the .au hostmaster
to create an svn domain name for the server but I don't want to do the
wrong thing.

These unofficial mirror repositories are being updated hourly via
svnsync from svn.freebsd.org.

        src --> svn://cvsup.au.freebsd.org/base
        doc --> svn://cvsup.au.freebsd.org/doc

--
John Marshall

Subversion Repository Mirroring

Garrett Wollman-4
<<On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:45:04 +1000, John Marshall <[hidden email]> said:

> Is it time to do something about mirroring the Subversion repositories?

I was planning to start doing this on ftp5/cvsup3 at some point soon.
I believe when we last discussed this, there was some sentiment that
we ought to do it by rsync rather than svnsync, because there were
some changes to the repository that svnsync would not be able to
replicate.

-GAWollman

Re: Subversion Repository Mirroring

Randy Bush
hmmm

# svn co svn+ssh://[hidden email]/stable/9 /usr/src
Password:
Password:
Password:

# grep randy /etc/passwd
randy:*:1000:20:Randy Bush:/usr/home/randy:/usr/local/bin/bash

clue bat please?

randy

Re: Subversion Repository Mirroring

dougb
On 07/15/2012 02:16, Randy Bush wrote:
> hmmm
>
> # svn co svn+ssh://[hidden email]/stable/9 /usr/src

svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src

--

    Change is hard.

Re: Subversion Repository Mirroring

Randy Bush
>> # svn co svn+ssh://[hidden email]/stable/9 /usr/src
> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src

sigh.  i use svn on an hourly basis.  i think i understand it a teenie
bit.  but look at the advice in 4.2.1 of

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/committers-guide/article.html#SUBVERSION-PRIMER

and then go patronize someone your own size

randy

On 07/15/2012 02:26, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> # svn co svn+ssh://[hidden email]/stable/9 /usr/src
>> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src
>
> sigh.  i use svn on an hourly basis.  i think i understand it a teenie
> bit.  but look at the advice in 4.2.1 of
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/committers-guide/article.html#SUBVERSION-PRIMER
>
> and then go patronize someone your own size

I'm not trying to patronize you. The advice in the committer's guide is
for committers, who have accounts set up on the server. TMK you don't,
so the svn+ssh:// URL won't work for you. You need to do an anonymous
checkout using the svn:// URL. Also, you missed the /base/ bit that is
mentioned in the committer's guide. (not to mention, you actually asked
for a clue-bat) :)

All that said, we definitely need better documentation on how users can
use our svn stuff; not to mention that we should have had that, and svn
mirrors set up *before* we made the switch, but that's just me.

Good luck,

Doug

--

    Change is hard.

Re: Subversion Repository Mirroring

Randy Bush
while the userid made no sense to me, the web page said nil about being
for committers.  and svn without ssh feels naked.  but wtf.

randy

Re: Subversion Repository Mirroring

Randy Bush
i recant.  at the top of the page it does say committers' guide.

i gotthere through the Moved link at the bottom of
http://wiki.freebsd.org/SubversionPrimer/ which took me way down the
page

randy

On 07/15/2012 02:39, Randy Bush wrote:
> while the userid made no sense to me, the web page said nil about being
> for committers.  and svn without ssh feels naked.  but wtf.

Yup, the docs suck, no argument from me. And I saw your followup,
doesn't change the fact that we need proper docs for users.

--

    Change is hard.