Supermicro IPMIView with 11.1-RELEASE

Craig Leres-3
I'm working with 11.1-RELEASE via ipmi for the first time and there's
something funny going on with the console. The first time I used a real
vga console that everything was shifted a bit and that I needed to
auto-calibrate my lcd panel. But I see now when I use the KVM supermicro
ipmi console viewer that the bottom line is cut in half. And actually
the last column is missing!

stty says the console is 30x80 so I wrote a script to fill it with
numbers and not output a final newline (see attached). It sure looks
like everything is shifted right 1/2 character width (or more) and down
1/2 character height.

Anybody know what's going on?

                Craig

Re: Supermicro IPMIView with 11.1-RELEASE

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> I'm working with 11.1-RELEASE via ipmi for the first time and there's
> something funny going on with the console. The first time I used a real
> vga console that everything was shifted a bit and that I needed to
> auto-calibrate my lcd panel. But I see now when I use the KVM supermicro
> ipmi console viewer that the bottom line is cut in half. And actually
> the last column is missing!
>
> stty says the console is 30x80 so I wrote a script to fill it with
> numbers and not output a final newline (see attached). It sure looks
> like everything is shifted right 1/2 character width (or more) and down
> 1/2 character height.
>
> Anybody know what's going on?

The new "vt" graphical console is borked, it is known to have issues
with KVM's and impi consoles.  Its graphics timing signals are off
standard just enough to mess things up.

You can probably get around your issue by switching to syscons console.

IIRC you can drop to the loader prompt, and type:
kern.vty=sc
boot

to work around this issue.   But this may create issues with EFI bios.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: Supermicro IPMIView with 11.1-RELEASE

Allan Jude-9
On 2018-04-05 01:01, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>> I'm working with 11.1-RELEASE via ipmi for the first time and there's
>> something funny going on with the console. The first time I used a real
>> vga console that everything was shifted a bit and that I needed to
>> auto-calibrate my lcd panel. But I see now when I use the KVM supermicro
>> ipmi console viewer that the bottom line is cut in half. And actually
>> the last column is missing!
>>
>> stty says the console is 30x80 so I wrote a script to fill it with
>> numbers and not output a final newline (see attached). It sure looks
>> like everything is shifted right 1/2 character width (or more) and down
>> 1/2 character height.
>>
>> Anybody know what's going on?
>
> The new "vt" graphical console is borked, it is known to have issues
> with KVM's and impi consoles.  Its graphics timing signals are off
> standard just enough to mess things up.
>
> You can probably get around your issue by switching to syscons console.
>
> IIRC you can drop to the loader prompt, and type:
> kern.vty=sc
> boot
>
> to work around this issue.   But this may create issues with EFI bios.

I can donate access to a machine or 3 if someone would actually fix this.

--
Allan Jude

Re: Supermicro IPMIView with 11.1-RELEASE

Eugene Grosbein-10
05.04.2018 12:01, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> You can probably get around your issue by switching to syscons console.
>
> IIRC you can drop to the loader prompt, and type:
> kern.vty=sc
> boot
>
> to work around this issue.   But this may create issues with EFI bios.

"man vt" says that it supports text mode:

hw.vga.textmode=1

That might be useful for EFI users. I personally have not tested it, though.