Thinkpad power management

mark zaharov
Hello everyone. I'm trying to configure freebsd on my thinkpad t460 laptop
to make it quieter and colder as possible. I increase c-states to max
(freebsd print it's c3) and add powedxx service and some else options
according to Vermaden's article. But even after all this manipulations
linux with tlp still colder and much more quieter on same task and similar
workflow.
What do I do wrong? Is it possible to make freebsd performance on laptol
similar to linux?

Thanks

Re: Thinkpad power management

Jason Barbier-2

> Hello everyone. I'm trying to configure freebsd on my thinkpad t460 laptop
> to make it quieter and colder as possible. I increase c-states to max
> (freebsd print it's c3) and add powedxx service and some else options
> according to Vermaden's article. But even after all this manipulations
> linux with tlp still colder and much more quieter on same task and similar
> workflow.
> What do I do wrong? Is it possible to make freebsd performance on laptol
> similar to linux?
>
> Thanks

If you are using 12 or newer on a Core I cpu chances are you are using the pstate driver. with the pstate driver the processor manages the cpu scaling and limits, which is how linux does it.
PowerD and PowerD++ don't understand pstates and are not useful here.
If you want to manually control it you need to follow the instructions under CPU at https://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption

---
Jason Barbier | E: [hidden email]
GPG: FD7D2D5F0A0FBE39 (https://keybase.io/kusuriya)