Trying to run Broadwell

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trying to run Broadwell

Bertram Scharpf
Hi,

this is from freebsd-questions:

On Thursday, 03. Dec 2015, 16:31:05 -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Bertram Scharpf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thursday, 03. Dec 2015, 13:42:25 -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> > > On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > > >
> > > >  Section "Device"
> > > >      Identifier  "Card0"
> > > >      Driver      "intel"
> > > >      BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> > > >  EndSection
> > > >
> > > >  # pciconf -lv | grep -A 4 vga
> > > >  vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x803a103c chip=0x16068086 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
> > > >      vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
> > > >      device     = 'Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics'
> > > >      class      = display
> > > >      subclass   = VGA
> > > >
> > > > Looks good, doesn't it? Besides that, Linux on the same
> > > > machine uses the "intel" driver successfully.
> > >
> > > Broadwell is not yet supported by the intel driver version in FreeBSD.
> > > At present, vesa must be used.
> >
> > What does "not yet"/"at present" mean? Is there currently
> > work on it? I would not mind to contribute, not least
> > because I now own an excellent testing environment.
>
>  I believe broadwell is covered in the 3.8 update.
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8

  # kldload i915kms
  kldload: can't load i915kms: No such file or directory

Kernel messages from dmesg:

  info: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
  link_elf: symbol mchdev_lock undefined
  sysctl_unregister_oid: failed to unregister sysctl

I cannot find the symbol "mchdev_lock" in any file but
"i915kms.ko". There is no definition of the variable in the
source tree.

I have a running Gentoo Linux 4.1.12 here. There, in the
kernel sources I find a definition of "mchdev_lock". Could
that be easily copied into the FreeBSD kernel module source
file? At the moment I'm fetching the 3.8 sources. I'm
planning to first compare the two kernel versions, then to
compare one of them to the above source tree.

Is this approach okay?

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
http://www.bertram-scharpf.de
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Michael B. Eichorn
On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 14:34 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is from freebsd-questions:
>
> On Thursday, 03. Dec 2015, 16:31:05 -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Bertram Scharpf <lists@bertram-scha
> > rpf.de> wrote:
> > > On Thursday, 03. Dec 2015, 13:42:25 -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> > > > On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >  Section "Device"
> > > > >      Identifier  "Card0"
> > > > >      Driver      "intel"
> > > > >      BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> > > > >  EndSection
> > > > >
> > > > >  # pciconf -lv | grep -A 4 vga
> > > > >  vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x803a103c
> > > > > chip=0x16068086 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
> > > > >      vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
> > > > >      device     = 'Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics'
> > > > >      class      = display
> > > > >      subclass   = VGA
> > > > >
> > > > > Looks good, doesn't it? Besides that, Linux on the same
> > > > > machine uses the "intel" driver successfully.
> > > >
> > > > Broadwell is not yet supported by the intel driver version in
> > > > FreeBSD.
> > > > At present, vesa must be used.
> > >
> > > What does "not yet"/"at present" mean? Is there currently
> > > work on it? I would not mind to contribute, not least
> > > because I now own an excellent testing environment.
> >
> >  I believe broadwell is covered in the 3.8 update.
> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to
> > %20Linux%203.8
>
>   # kldload i915kms
>   kldload: can't load i915kms: No such file or directory
>
> Kernel messages from dmesg:
>
>   info: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
>   link_elf: symbol mchdev_lock undefined
>   sysctl_unregister_oid: failed to unregister sysctl
>
> I cannot find the symbol "mchdev_lock" in any file but
> "i915kms.ko". There is no definition of the variable in the
> source tree.
>
> I have a running Gentoo Linux 4.1.12 here. There, in the
> kernel sources I find a definition of "mchdev_lock". Could
> that be easily copied into the FreeBSD kernel module source
> file? At the moment I'm fetching the 3.8 sources. I'm
> planning to first compare the two kernel versions, then to
> compare one of them to the above source tree.
>
> Is this approach okay?
>
> Bertram
>
Are you running the freebsd-graphics-update branch?
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics.git

You didn't provide a `uname -a` so that is going to be the first
question.

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Bertram Scharpf
On Monday, 07. Dec 2015, 08:45:02 -0500, Michael B. Eichorn wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 14:34 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
>
> Are you running the freebsd-graphics-update branch?
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics.git
>
> You didn't provide a `uname -a` so that is going to be the first
> question.

Sorry, the above link was broken.

  # uname -a
  FreeBSD  11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 b2bab0e(drm-i915-update-38): Mon Dec  7 02:37:26 CET 2015     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/home/bsch/entwicklung/fremd/freebsd-base-graphics/sys/GENERIC  i386

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
http://www.bertram-scharpf.de
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Arto Pekkanen
In reply to this post by Bertram Scharpf
Hi.

I am very sorry, this is a bit off-topic, but are you saying you could
add Intel Broadwell support to the FreeBSD DRM/KMS?

OpenBSD did it not too long ago by importing sources from a Linux kernel
newer than 3.8. See here:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20150924072002

"Mark Kettenis (kettenis@) has just committed a large update to the
drm(4) graphics code, syncing with upstream Linux 3.14.52 and
introducing Broadwell GPU support."

I am not a FreeBSD kernel developer and in no way knowledgeable, I am
just rehashing the info available in the internets. It would be cool to
be able to patch in Broadwell support, but at least the OpenBSD import
would imply that you'd need sources from at least 3.14.52 to get
Broadwell working.

Bertram Scharpf kirjoitti 07.12.2015 15:34:

> Hi,
>
> this is from freebsd-questions:
>
> On Thursday, 03. Dec 2015, 16:31:05 -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Bertram Scharpf
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > On Thursday, 03. Dec 2015, 13:42:25 -0700, Warren Block wrote:
>> > > On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > >  Section "Device"
>> > > >      Identifier  "Card0"
>> > > >      Driver      "intel"
>> > > >      BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
>> > > >  EndSection
>> > > >
>> > > >  # pciconf -lv | grep -A 4 vga
>> > > >  vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x803a103c chip=0x16068086 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
>> > > >      vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>> > > >      device     = 'Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics'
>> > > >      class      = display
>> > > >      subclass   = VGA
>> > > >
>> > > > Looks good, doesn't it? Besides that, Linux on the same
>> > > > machine uses the "intel" driver successfully.
>> > >
>> > > Broadwell is not yet supported by the intel driver version in FreeBSD.
>> > > At present, vesa must be used.
>> >
>> > What does "not yet"/"at present" mean? Is there currently
>> > work on it? I would not mind to contribute, not least
>> > because I now own an excellent testing environment.
>>
>>  I believe broadwell is covered in the 3.8 update.
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
>
>   # kldload i915kms
>   kldload: can't load i915kms: No such file or directory
>
> Kernel messages from dmesg:
>
>   info: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
>   link_elf: symbol mchdev_lock undefined
>   sysctl_unregister_oid: failed to unregister sysctl
>
> I cannot find the symbol "mchdev_lock" in any file but
> "i915kms.ko". There is no definition of the variable in the
> source tree.
>
> I have a running Gentoo Linux 4.1.12 here. There, in the
> kernel sources I find a definition of "mchdev_lock". Could
> that be easily copied into the FreeBSD kernel module source
> file? At the moment I'm fetching the 3.8 sources. I'm
> planning to first compare the two kernel versions, then to
> compare one of them to the above source tree.
>
> Is this approach okay?
>
> Bertram

--
Arto Pekkanen
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Bertram Scharpf
Hi,

On Monday, 07. Dec 2015, 23:13:03 +0200, Arto Pekkanen wrote:
> I am very sorry, this is a bit off-topic, but are you saying you could
> add Intel Broadwell support to the FreeBSD DRM/KMS?

Not actually. I just own a notebook with a Broadwell and was
pointed to an existing project adding Broadwell support to
FreeBSD in freebsd-questions. I suggested to contribute to
it because I have a testing environment here. I did not
write one line of code until now. Kernel development is new
to me and I was looking for a little help.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
http://www.bertram-scharpf.de
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Bertram Scharpf
In reply to this post by Bertram Scharpf
Hi,

On Monday, 07. Dec 2015, 14:34:03 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:

> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
>
>   # kldload i915kms
>   kldload: can't load i915kms: No such file or directory
>
> Kernel messages from dmesg:
>
>   info: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
>   link_elf: symbol mchdev_lock undefined
>   sysctl_unregister_oid: failed to unregister sysctl
>
> I cannot find the symbol "mchdev_lock" in any file but
> "i915kms.ko". There is no definition of the variable in the
> source tree.

Yes there was. But it had a "static" in front of it (file
intel_pm.c, line 2299). I removed that. The module now loads
correctly.

X still doesn't start. I provide a dmesg etc. output at
<http://bertram-scharpf.spdns.de/tmp/drm-i915-update-38-fail_hp_bscharpf.tar.gz>.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
http://www.bertram-scharpf.de
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Bertram Scharpf
Hi,

On Tuesday, 08. Dec 2015, 18:34:19 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> On Monday, 07. Dec 2015, 14:34:03 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
> >
> X still doesn't start. I provide a dmesg etc. output at
> <http://bertram-scharpf.spdns.de/tmp/drm-i915-update-38-fail_hp_bscharpf.tar.gz>.

I started hacking it and I managed to yield some more
logging output now. Could someone give me a hint what to do
next?

Thanks in advance,

Bertram


--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
http://www.bertram-scharpf.de
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Jean-Sébastien Pédron-4
On 15/12/2015 23:33, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> On Tuesday, 08. Dec 2015, 18:34:19 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>> On Monday, 07. Dec 2015, 14:34:03 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
>>>
>> X still doesn't start. I provide a dmesg etc. output at
>> <http://bertram-scharpf.spdns.de/tmp/drm-i915-update-38-fail_hp_bscharpf.tar.gz>.
>
> I started hacking it and I managed to yield some more
> logging output now. Could someone give me a hint what to do
> next?
Sorry for the delay in the response.

So the branch drm-i915-update-38 does not include Broadwell or Skylake
support. Compared to what is currently in HEAD, we will gain initial
support for Haswell and Valley View. By "initial", I mean experimental
and unstable. We will need code from Linux 3.9 and 3.10 to have a more
robust support for those two GPU families.

If you are willing to help, you are very welcome! Before committing this
branch, we need to fix any regressions with currently supported GPUs. Do
you have access to Sandybridge or Ivy Bridge computers?

If you prefer to work on bringing new code from Linux, please fork my
drm-i915-update-38 branch and try to import commits from Linux 3.9. I
don't know what's the best course of actions: either one commit at a
time or one file at a time. Are you interested in this task?

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron


signature.asc (968 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subscribeubject: Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Thomas Mueller-14
> Sorry for the delay in the response.

> So the branch drm-i915-update-38 does not include Broadwell or Skylake
> support. Compared to what is currently in HEAD, we will gain initial
> support for Haswell and Valley View. By "initial", I mean experimental
> and unstable. We will need code from Linux 3.9 and 3.10 to have a more
> robust support for those two GPU families.

> If you are willing to help, you are very welcome! Before committing this
> branch, we need to fix any regressions with currently supported GPUs. Do
> you have access to Sandybridge or Ivy Bridge computers?

> If you prefer to work on bringing new code from Linux, please fork my
> drm-i915-update-38 branch and try to import commits from Linux 3.9. I
> don't know what's the best course of actions: either one commit at a
> time or one file at a time. Are you interested in this task?

> Jean-S<E9>bastien P<E9>dron

I have one Sandybridge and one Ivy Bridge computer.

One question, before I proceed/resume and do the wrong thing:  

Can I safely make buildworld, installworld and kernel from drm-i915-update-38 branch and later switch back to regular /usr/src branch with svn?

I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require modifications because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?

Tom

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subscribeubject: Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Jean-Sébastien Pédron-4
On 21/12/2015 10:46, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Can I safely make buildworld, installworld and kernel from
> drm-i915-update-38 branch and later switch back to regular /usr/src
> branch with svn?

Don't build world from this branch, it's the same as the regular one.
You just need the kernel.

> I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require
> modifications because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?

Yes. In the Git branch, the diff with Linux 3.8 is quite small so it's
shouldn't be that difficult.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron


signature.asc (968 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Bertram Scharpf
In reply to this post by Jean-Sébastien Pédron-4
Hi,

On Friday, 18. Dec 2015, 20:41:58 +0100, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:

> On 15/12/2015 23:33, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 08. Dec 2015, 18:34:19 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> >> On Monday, 07. Dec 2015, 14:34:03 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> >>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
> >>>
> >> X still doesn't start. I provide a dmesg etc. output at
> >> <http://bertram-scharpf.spdns.de/tmp/drm-i915-update-38-fail_hp_bscharpf.tar.gz>.
> >
> > I started hacking it and I managed to yield some more
> > logging output now. Could someone give me a hint what to do
> > next?
>
> So the branch drm-i915-update-38 does not include Broadwell or Skylake
> support. Compared to what is currently in HEAD, we will gain initial
> support for Haswell and Valley View. By "initial", I mean experimental
> and unstable. We will need code from Linux 3.9 and 3.10 to have a more
> robust support for those two GPU families.
>
> If you are willing to help, you are very welcome! Before committing this
> branch, we need to fix any regressions with currently supported GPUs. Do
> you have access to Sandybridge or Ivy Bridge computers?

Sorry, neither. Anyway, it could be interesting for me to track progess.

> If you prefer to work on bringing new code from Linux, please fork my
> drm-i915-update-38 branch and try to import commits from Linux 3.9. I
> don't know what's the best course of actions: either one commit at a
> time or one file at a time. Are you interested in this task?

I would like to give it a try.

Which ist the right repository to import commits/files from?
How do I find the point to start from?

Thanks in advance,

Bertram


--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
http://www.bertram-scharpf.de
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subscribeubject: Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Koop Mast-2
In reply to this post by Thomas Mueller-14
On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 09:46 +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> > Sorry for the delay in the response.
>
> > So the branch drm-i915-update-38 does not include Broadwell or
> > Skylake
> > support. Compared to what is currently in HEAD, we will gain
> > initial
> > support for Haswell and Valley View. By "initial", I mean
> > experimental
> > and unstable. We will need code from Linux 3.9 and 3.10 to have a
> > more
> > robust support for those two GPU families.
>
> > If you are willing to help, you are very welcome! Before committing
> > this
> > branch, we need to fix any regressions with currently supported
> > GPUs. Do
> > you have access to Sandybridge or Ivy Bridge computers?
>
> > If you prefer to work on bringing new code from Linux, please fork
> > my
> > drm-i915-update-38 branch and try to import commits from Linux 3.9.
> > I
> > don't know what's the best course of actions: either one commit at
> > a
> > time or one file at a time. Are you interested in this task?
>
> > Jean-S<E9>bastien P<E9>dron
>
> I have one Sandybridge and one Ivy Bridge computer.
>
> One question, before I proceed/resume and do the wrong thing:  
>
> Can I safely make buildworld, installworld and kernel from drm-i915-
> update-38 branch and later switch back to regular /usr/src branch
> with svn?

Please see https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driv
er%20to%20Linux%203.8#How_to_test which also list how to install the
kernel on a non-default space and make the next reboot use that kernel.

-Koop

>
> I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require
> modifications because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?
>
> Tom
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]
> "
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subscribeubject: Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Ben Woods
In reply to this post by Thomas Mueller-14
On Monday, 21 December 2015, Thomas Mueller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Sorry for the delay in the response.
>
> > So the branch drm-i915-update-38 does not include Broadwell or Skylake
> > support. Compared to what is currently in HEAD, we will gain initial
> > support for Haswell and Valley View. By "initial", I mean experimental
> > and unstable. We will need code from Linux 3.9 and 3.10 to have a more
> > robust support for those two GPU families.
>
> > If you are willing to help, you are very welcome! Before committing this
> > branch, we need to fix any regressions with currently supported GPUs. Do
> > you have access to Sandybridge or Ivy Bridge computers?
>
> > If you prefer to work on bringing new code from Linux, please fork my
> > drm-i915-update-38 branch and try to import commits from Linux 3.9. I
> > don't know what's the best course of actions: either one commit at a
> > time or one file at a time. Are you interested in this task?
>
> > Jean-S<E9>bastien P<E9>dron
>
> I have one Sandybridge and one Ivy Bridge computer.
>
> One question, before I proceed/resume and do the wrong thing:
>
> Can I safely make buildworld, installworld and kernel from
> drm-i915-update-38 branch and later switch back to regular /usr/src branch
> with svn?
>
> I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require modifications
> because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?
>
> Tom
>

Jean-Sebastien would know far more on this subject, but for those
considering contributing to this effort, I have heard the goal was that if
any elements of the Linux code to be imported had Linuxisms that don't
exist in FreeBSD, rather than change the Linux files, FreeBSD would add a
shim as separate file(s) to translate those Linuxisms into suitable FreeBSD
replacements.

That way the continual update to newer Linux versions of the code wouldn't
require a large patch set to be maintained - the files would be as close to
the Linux versions as possible.

Sound about right Jean-Sebastien?

Regards,
Ben


--

--
From: Benjamin Woods
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Thomas Mueller-14
In reply to this post by Jean-Sébastien Pédron-4
from Jean-S<E9>bastien P<E9>dron:

> On 21/12/2015 10:46, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Can I safely make buildworld, installworld and kernel from
> > drm-i915-update-38 branch and later switch back to regular /usr/src
> > branch with svn?

> Don't build world from this branch, it's the same as the regular one.
> You just need the kernel.

> > I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require
> > modifications because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?

> Yes. In the Git branch, the diff with Linux 3.8 is quite small so it's
> shouldn't be that difficult.

I see how my finger error on the mouse mangled the subject line (now corrected).

So I suppose I make buildworld, installworld and "regular" kernel, then switch to drm-i915-update-38 and build kernel from there (INSTKERNNAME=kerneli915).

What I did, instead of nextboot, was go to the loader prompt, unload, then load /boot/kerneli915/kernel.  That worked.

Not sure how nextboot would work when there multiple partitions and multiple OSes installed on hard drive.

Tom

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Jean-Sébastien Pédron-4
In reply to this post by Bertram Scharpf
On 21/12/2015 17:06, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>> If you prefer to work on bringing new code from Linux, please fork my
>> drm-i915-update-38 branch and try to import commits from Linux 3.9. I
>> don't know what's the best course of actions: either one commit at a
>> time or one file at a time. Are you interested in this task?
>
> I would like to give it a try.
>
> Which ist the right repository to import commits/files from?
> How do I find the point to start from?

Hi!

I just started a thread to organize the work. I will add information
about file layouts in both Linux and FreeBSD.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron


signature.asc (968 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Jean-Sébastien Pédron-4
In reply to this post by Thomas Mueller-14
On 22/12/2015 10:01, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> What I did, instead of nextboot, was go to the loader prompt,
> unload, then load /boot/kerneli915/kernel. That worked.

From the loader, you can simply type "boot kerneli915". It will take
care of unloading/loading whatever is needed.

> Not sure how nextboot would work when there multiple partitions and
> multiple OSes installed on hard drive.

"nextbook -k kerneli915" targets the running system. It won't interfere
with other installed systems, so it's safe to use.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron


signature.asc (968 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subscribeubject: Re: Trying to run Broadwell

Jean-Sébastien Pédron-4
In reply to this post by Ben Woods
On 21/12/2015 23:22, Ben Woods wrote:

>> I believe importing commits from Linux 3.9 would require modifications
>> because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?
>
> Jean-Sebastien would know far more on this subject, but for those
> considering contributing to this effort, I have heard the goal was that if
> any elements of the Linux code to be imported had Linuxisms that don't
> exist in FreeBSD, rather than change the Linux files, FreeBSD would add a
> shim as separate file(s) to translate those Linuxisms into suitable FreeBSD
> replacements.
>
> That way the continual update to newer Linux versions of the code wouldn't
> require a large patch set to be maintained - the files would be as close to
> the Linux versions as possible.
>
> Sound about right Jean-Sebastien?
Yes, that's correct. Currently, I try to put wrappers in:
  sys/dev/drm2/drm_os_freebsd.[ch]

It's ugly because all APIs are mixed in those two files and I still need
to change #includes everywhere. The end goal is to use the new linuxkpi
module to avoid this and centralize the Linux shim.

I'm not aiming at the possibility to drop Linux files in FreeBSD without
modifications. Only some APIs will be wrapped. Others, like the calls to
our VM will probably never be wrapped : both VMs don't have the same
behaviour and hiding the differences behind such a shim could be dangerous.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron


signature.asc (968 bytes) Download Attachment