Turkish F Keyboard Layout for vt(Newcons)

Turkish F Keyboard Layout for vt(Newcons)

freebsd-i18n mailing list
Hi,

I am a new user of FreeBSD. Myself is using official Turkish F layout.  This layout isn't exist in the current release. With the help of FreeBSD forum users I create a new keymap file for my own usage.

I want to add this keymap file into new FreeBSD releases. Maybe this will be useful for others.

What is the way to accomplish this addition.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.
 Ufuk GÜLER

tr.f.kbd (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Layout for vt(Newcons)

freebsd-i18n mailing list
Hi,
I recognize that kbd extension is not allowed. So I convert it to txt. I hope this can be readable. Thanks.
Ufuk GÜLER

[hidden email]

tr.f.txt (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Layout for vt(Newcons)

Wolfgang Zenker-2

* Ufuk Guler via freebsd-i18n <[hidden email]> [170724 13:40]:
> I am a new user of FreeBSD. Myself is using official Turkish F layout.  This layout isn't exist in the current release. With the help of FreeBSD forum users I create a new keymap file for my own usage.

> I want to add this keymap file into new FreeBSD releases. Maybe this will be useful for others.

> What is the way to accomplish this addition.
> Thanks in advance for your guidance.
>  Ufuk GÜLER

As far as I know the usual way of suggesting to add it to the source
tree would be to add an issue at bugs.freebsd.org (even if this is not a
bug).
Looking at the source tree, most vt keymaps have last been touched by
Stefan Esser [CCed], so maybe he can tell more about this.

Wolfgang

Re: Turkish F Keyboard Layout for vt(Newcons)

Stefan Esser-3
Am 29.07.17 um 10:43 schrieb Wolfgang Zenker:

> Hi,
>
> * Ufuk Guler via freebsd-i18n <[hidden email]> [170724 13:40]:
>> I am a new user of FreeBSD. Myself is using official Turkish F layout.  This layout isn't exist in the current release. With the help of FreeBSD forum users I create a new keymap file for my own usage.
>
>> I want to add this keymap file into new FreeBSD releases. Maybe this will be useful for others.
>
>> What is the way to accomplish this addition.
>> Thanks in advance for your guidance.
>>  Ufuk GÜLER
>
> As far as I know the usual way of suggesting to add it to the source
> tree would be to add an issue at bugs.freebsd.org (even if this is not a
> bug).
> Looking at the source tree, most vt keymaps have last been touched by
> Stefan Esser [CCed], so maybe he can tell more about this.

Hi Ufuk,

if your Turkish F layout is tested and complete, I'd be willing to
commit it to FreeBSD.

The mail response by Wolfgang did not include the attachment, but
I found it in the mail-list archive, and it looks good to me.

The filename "tr.f.kbd" follows the existing naming scheme, I'd have
chosen this name, too.

One missing detail is the required addition to INDEX.keymaps (see
/usr/share/vt/keymaps/INDEX.keymaps), which contains the following
lines for the existing Turkish keymap:

tr.kbd:en:Turkish
tr.kbd:de:Türkisch
tr.kbd:fr:Turc
tr.kbd:uk:Турецька

I might change that to read "Turkish (Q)" for the existing keymap
and add "Turkish (F)" for "tr.f.kbd".

Or should the existing entry remain as-is and "Turkish (F layout)"
be added for your new keymap?

Do you want to add Turkish keymap names to this list?
(i.e. "tr.kbd:tr:..." and "tr.f.kbd:tr:...")

BTW: Could you please provide a Turkish MENU line for INDEX.keymaps?

Best regards, STefan

Am 01.08.17 um 01:42 schrieb Ufuk Guler:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I have done several updates on the keymap file. Especially for ctrl /
> alt / shift combinations. So added latest one into this mail. Also
> tested each key one by one. On my system(FreeBSD 11) it works well.
> Please have a look it. If you recognize any issue I try to solve it
> immediately.
>
> I create below INDEX as per your suggestion and hope to meet
> expectations. Thanks for your support.
>
> ## Updated INDEX Lines ##
> tr.kbd:en:Turkish (Q)
> tr.f.kbd:en:Turkish (F)
> tr.kbd:de:Türkisch
> tr.kbd:fr:Turc
> tr.kbd:uk:Турецька
>
> ## New Turkish INDEX Lines ##
> tr.kbd:tr:Türkçe (Q)
> tr.f.kbd:tr:Türkçe (F)
>
> Ufuk GÜLER

Hi Ufuk,

thank you for the corrections and the updated and tested keyboard
layout. I have committed it to -CURRENT as r321858 and will MFC to
STABLE-10 and 11 within the next 10 days.

The committed version has some small changes:

- 1 <TAB> converted to 2 space characters

- character codes in the range 0.255 consistently written as 0xXY
  (i.e. removal of leading zeroes: 0x00XY -> 0xXY) for consistency
  within this file and with other layout files

- There were 2 occurrences of 0x201C, where the second one obviously
  should have been 0x201D. This is the only functional change that I
  made.

I have left the hex numbers in upper case (the other layout files
consistently use lower case a..f only, but I had not thought about
this before the commit and I do not think that another commit just
for this detail is justified).

Please let me know by direct mail, if you want further changes to
the layout file to be committed to FreeBSD.

Best regards, STefan