Quantcast

Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Zaphod Beeblebrox-2
so the whole boot -v is attached via the link below.  Please help.  Hangs
forever after the last pcib1 line (and STOP-A doesn't drop to a prompt)
... just to jog everyone's memory, to get this going I (translate / to
enter):

set-defaults/1 0 mkp/80 1 mkp/8 2 mkp/0 3 mkp/20 4 mkp/c0 5 mkp/ff 6 mkp/ee
7 mkp/0 8 mkp/0 9 mkp/0 a mkp/0 b mkp/c0 c mkp/ff d mkp/ee e mkp/0 f 0 do i
idprom@ xor loop f mkp

... does that initialization pose some problem for FreeBSD?

https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/14awIqSzdOBexok

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Gordon Zaft
Have you tried booting from CDROM?  I'm assuming this is 11.0?

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> so the whole boot -v is attached via the link below.  Please help.  Hangs
> forever after the last pcib1 line (and STOP-A doesn't drop to a prompt)
> ... just to jog everyone's memory, to get this going I (translate / to
> enter):
>
> set-defaults/1 0 mkp/80 1 mkp/8 2 mkp/0 3 mkp/20 4 mkp/c0 5 mkp/ff 6 mkp/ee
> 7 mkp/0 8 mkp/0 9 mkp/0 a mkp/0 b mkp/c0 c mkp/ff d mkp/ee e mkp/0 f 0 do i
> idprom@ xor loop f mkp
>
> ... does that initialization pose some problem for FreeBSD?
>
> https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/14awIqSzdOBexok

Gordon Zaft
Province 35 Governor
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Zaphod Beeblebrox-2

On 2017-05-08 18:34, Gordon Zaft wrote:
> Have you tried booting from CDROM?  I'm assuming this is 11.0?

Well... the CDROM in the box probes in the openprom (ie: open prom sees
it), but it doesn't seem to work.  I've put the 11.0 CD into it, but the
boot fails.

I'm not sure making the CD work would solve the problem, though.  Be
clear, I've put /boot/loader on my tftpboot server as C0A8DD07
(192.168.221.7 --- the rarp'd IP address for the machine) and loader
loads.  Then I can successfully "load /kernel" in loader ... which
causes it to load /tftpboot/cdrom/kernel (/cdrom is the nfs root ...
which is where the image of the CD is mounted on the network).

You might say that I'm not a noob when it comes to netbooting old UN*X
boxes.  Wel... maybe it took me a dozen tries to "remember" things, but
still... I got it done.

But if the kernel boots, would an alternate method of booting the kernel
really make any difference?

> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     so the whole boot -v is attached via the link below.  Please
>     help.  Hangs
>     forever after the last pcib1 line (and STOP-A doesn't drop to a
>     prompt)
>     ... just to jog everyone's memory, to get this going I (translate / to
>     enter):
>
>     set-defaults/1 0 mkp/80 1 mkp/8 2 mkp/0 3 mkp/20 4 mkp/c0 5 mkp/ff
>     6 mkp/ee
>     7 mkp/0 8 mkp/0 9 mkp/0 a mkp/0 b mkp/c0 c mkp/ff d mkp/ee e mkp/0
>     f 0 do i
>     idprom@ xor loop f mkp
>
>     ... does that initialization pose some problem for FreeBSD?
>
>     https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/14awIqSzdOBexok
>     <https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/14awIqSzdOBexok>

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Kurt Lidl-2
Try using the kernel binary from a snapshot that has the
following commit in it, when it becomes available.

There was a hang fixed for the Ultra 30, that may or may not be
relevant.  You'll want to make sure your kernel has this commit:

commit 16d43a0ed2f5adf6e2ba5b214b6cf0622aed289c
Author: marius <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sat Apr 29 00:53:17 2017 +0000

     Fix a bug introduced as part of r287726; use the right device_t for
     determining the softc of the bridge in psycho_route_interrupt(). [1]
     While at it, update the corresponding comment that the code in
     question is also necessary for U30s in addition to E450s (a fact
     that has been known for ages).

     PR:             218478
     Submitted by:   Yoshihiko Iwama

(also known as "r317578")

It looks like the latest snapshot release was created on 20-Apr-2017,
so you'll probably have to wait for the next snapshot to be generated.

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/sparc64/12.0-CURRENT/

-Kurt

On 2017-05-08 18:55, Kurt Lidl wrote:

> Try using the kernel binary from a snapshot that has the
> following commit in it, when it becomes available.
>
> There was a hang fixed for the Ultra 30, that may or may not be
> relevant.  You'll want to make sure your kernel has this commit:
>
> commit 16d43a0ed2f5adf6e2ba5b214b6cf0622aed289c
> Author: marius <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sat Apr 29 00:53:17 2017 +0000
>
>     Fix a bug introduced as part of r287726; use the right device_t for
>     determining the softc of the bridge in psycho_route_interrupt(). [1]
>     While at it, update the corresponding comment that the code in
>     question is also necessary for U30s in addition to E450s (a fact
>     that has been known for ages).
>
>     PR:             218478
>     Submitted by:   Yoshihiko Iwama
>
> (also known as "r317578")
>
> It looks like the latest snapshot release was created on 20-Apr-2017,
> so you'll probably have to wait for the next snapshot to be generated.
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/sparc64/12.0-CURRENT/

Could someone generate me such a kernel... or even better, and 11 kernel
with this patch?  I'll through in a free owncloud account or a free imap
email for the effort?

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Gordon Zaft
It seems to me that a bad CDROM drive could certainly hose your boot even
if you aren't booting from it, but I am not really a firmware guy so I
could be wrong.  Did you try disconnecting the CDROM?

--
Gordon Zaft
Province 35 Governor
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Chris Ross

> On May 8, 2017, at 19:15 , Zaphod Beeblebrox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-08 18:55, Kurt Lidl wrote:
>
>> Try using the kernel binary from a snapshot that has the
>> following commit in it, when it becomes available.
>>
>> commit 16d43a0ed2f5adf6e2ba5b214b6cf0622aed289c
>> Author: marius <[hidden email]>
>> Date:   Sat Apr 29 00:53:17 2017 +0000
>>
>> […]
>> (also known as "r317578")
>>
>> It looks like the latest snapshot release was created on 20-Apr-2017,
>> so you'll probably have to wait for the next snapshot to be generated.
>
> Could someone generate me such a kernel... or even better, and 11 kernel
> with this patch?  I'll through in a free owncloud account or a free imap
> email for the effort?
  I’ve manually merged that revisions change into my stable/11 tree, which I had
just in the last day or two updated and built for myself.  I’m building a GENERIC
kernel now, which will take an hour, and I’ll respond to you off-list with a pointer.

                                   - Chris

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Michelle Sullivan
Gordon Zaft wrote:
> It seems to me that a bad CDROM drive could certainly hose your boot even
> if you aren't booting from it, but I am not really a firmware guy so I
> could be wrong.  Did you try disconnecting the CDROM?

THis is true... though some people replaced the CD with a DVD.. if this
has happened it will 'work' when the kernel is loaded but there is no
way to get OBP to boot from it.  I certainly would be removing any
CD/DVD from the drive.

I'd also be verifying the hardware with a known working version... which
means FreeBSD 9.2 CD image (I don't think there was a 9.3 for SPARC - if
you want something *based on* FreeBSD 9.3 that is known to work fine on
Ultra 5, I can give you a link)... if that works then you know the
hardware is stable... if that doesn't then the chances are there is
something wrong with the hardware and nothing will work.

Regards,

Michelle

> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-05-08 18:34, Gordon Zaft wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried booting from CDROM?  I'm assuming this is 11.0?
>>
>> Well... the CDROM in the box probes in the openprom (ie: open prom sees
>> it), but it doesn't seem to work.  I've put the 11.0 CD into it, but the
>> boot fails.
>>
>> I'm not sure making the CD work would solve the problem, though.  Be
>> clear, I've put /boot/loader on my tftpboot server as C0A8DD07
>> (192.168.221.7 --- the rarp'd IP address for the machine) and loader
>> loads.  Then I can successfully "load /kernel" in loader ... which causes
>> it to load /tftpboot/cdrom/kernel (/cdrom is the nfs root ... which is
>> where the image of the CD is mounted on the network).
>>
>> You might say that I'm not a noob when it comes to netbooting old UN*X
>> boxes.  Wel... maybe it took me a dozen tries to "remember" things, but
>> still... I got it done.
>>
>> But if the kernel boots, would an alternate method of booting the kernel
>> really make any difference?
>>
>> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> so the whole boot -v is attached via the link below.  Please help.  Hangs
>>> forever after the last pcib1 line (and STOP-A doesn't drop to a prompt)
>>> ... just to jog everyone's memory, to get this going I (translate / to
>>> enter):
>>>
>>> set-defaults/1 0 mkp/80 1 mkp/8 2 mkp/0 3 mkp/20 4 mkp/c0 5 mkp/ff 6
>>> mkp/ee
>>> 7 mkp/0 8 mkp/0 9 mkp/0 a mkp/0 b mkp/c0 c mkp/ff d mkp/ee e mkp/0 f 0 do
>>> idprom@ xor loop f mkp
>>>
>>> ... does that initialization pose some problem for FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/14awIqSzdOBexok

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Zaphod Beeblebrox-2
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Chris Ross <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On May 8, 2017, at 19:15 , Zaphod Beeblebrox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 2017-05-08 18:55, Kurt Lidl wrote:
> >
> >> Try using the kernel binary from a snapshot that has the
> >> following commit in it, when it becomes available.
> >>
> >> commit 16d43a0ed2f5adf6e2ba5b214b6cf0622aed289c
> >> Author: marius <[hidden email]>
> >> Date:   Sat Apr 29 00:53:17 2017 +0000
> >>
> >> […]
> >> (also known as "r317578")
> >>
> >> It looks like the latest snapshot release was created on 20-Apr-2017,
> >> so you'll probably have to wait for the next snapshot to be generated.
> >
> > Could someone generate me such a kernel... or even better, and 11 kernel
> > with this patch?  I'll through in a free owncloud account or a free imap
> > email for the effort?
>
>   I’ve manually merged that revisions change into my stable/11 tree, which
> I had
> just in the last day or two updated and built for myself.  I’m building a
> GENERIC
> kernel now, which will take an hour, and I’ll respond to you off-list with
> a pointer.

Obviously, I'll keep waiting for this to complete... but it's so far
stopped at the same place.  I'm going to download a copy of the 9.x CD and
see if that kernel boots.

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Zaphod Beeblebrox-2
OK.  I took everyone's suggestions to heart.  I downloaded the 9.3 disk1
and copied it's kernel onto tftp.  I also disconnected the CDROM and the
hard drive I had the box.  I also disconnected the floppy.  At this point I
checked the operation of the fans.  All good.  Nothing but the motherboard
and riser in the machine now.

After all this, it stops the boot in much the same place.  You can see that
here: https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/NEYqfeaUwHkGOSl

As before STOP-A doesn't do anything anymore.  I've always thought STOP-A
was a poor key choice... I've accidentally typed it on several workstations
that I've owned in the SPARC family.

So... ideas?  Is this machine just hosed?

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Michelle Sullivan
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

> OK.  I took everyone's suggestions to heart.  I downloaded the 9.3 disk1
> and copied it's kernel onto tftp.  I also disconnected the CDROM and the
> hard drive I had the box.  I also disconnected the floppy.  At this point I
> checked the operation of the fans.  All good.  Nothing but the motherboard
> and riser in the machine now.
>
> After all this, it stops the boot in much the same place.  You can see that
> here: https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/NEYqfeaUwHkGOSl
>
> As before STOP-A doesn't do anything anymore.  I've always thought STOP-A
> was a poor key choice... I've accidentally typed it on several workstations
> that I've owned in the SPARC family.
>
> So... ideas?  Is this machine just hosed?

Pretty sure that's hosed ...however I have a stack of them here... will
get out a machine and see if I can boot the 9.3 ... I know I have 9.2 on
a load of stuff, and I know I have my own code based on the 9.3 that
boots (though it has its own other probs atm)...  they are all pretty
much the same though so it will soon prove dead or not...

On a similar note... have around 20 U5's if anyone wants them - no hard
drives, but as far as I know all working everything from 270MHz to
440MHz boxes... free to anyone that wants to waste money on postage from
Malta (Europe).

Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/

Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Yoshihiko Iwama
  This mail does not describe the solution but I believe it contains useful
content.

  I saw the boot -v log and thought that it contained two important
sections.
These are:

from the line "pcib1: <APB PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.1 on pci0" to last
line

and

from the line "found-> vendor=0x1002, dev=0x4754, revid=0x9a" to
last line(included above).

  The memory range decoded by APB is displied "0xe0000000-0xffffffff" but
assigned range is form "0x0"(to "0xfff") because displied by next line:

"  map[18]: type Memory, range 32, base 0, size 12, enabled"

  Obviously, 0x0 is not within the range of 0xe0000000-0xffffffff, so this
is
probably an incorrect value.
  I also look the comment in /sys/dev/fb/machfb.c:

===
/*
* Depending on the firmware version the VGA I/O and/or memory
* resources of the Mach64 chips come up disabled.  These will be
* enabled by pci(4) when activating the resource in question but
* this doesn't necessarily mean that the resource is valid.
* Invalid resources seem to have in common that they start at
* address 0.  We don't allocate the VGA memory in this case in
* order to avoid warnings in apb(4) and crashes when using this
* invalid resources.  X.Org is aware of this and doesn't use the
* VGA memory resource in this case (but demands it if it's valid).
*/
===

  Here, compared with the boot -v log of PR121539, assigned rande is
from "0xe2000000"(to "0xe2000fff") by below line:

"  map[18]: type Memory, range 32, base rxe2000000, size 12, enabled"

  I believe there may be problems with allocating memory on the bus.

  The story changes, about the second section, this is about graphics chips.
The vender ID=0x1002 and dev ID=0x4754 means AMD(formerly ATI) and
Rage 3D II Graphics Accelerator by http://pcidatabase.com/ or source code.
  Compared with the boot -v log of PR121539, the dev ID is 0x4750 in
PR121539. This means ATI 3D Rage Pro 215GP.
  Perhaps there is a problem with FreeBSD and may not be able to cope well
with ATI 3D Rage Pro 215 GP.

  So, what to do the most recently, I suggest you connect serial console to
Ultra 5. Of course, even if you simply connect to the serial console, it
will hang
if ATI 3D Rage Pro 215GP is detected on FreeBSD. Therefore, disable ATI 3D
Rage Pro 215GP. This method is described below:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-4629-05/6jdmq4im5/index.html

  Unfortunately, since I do not own Ultra 5, I have not tried the above
method
in practice. Therefore, the above method merely invalidates the graphic chip
on the OBP, and it may still be detected by FreeBSD. In this way, Ultra 5
will
hang as well.
  I advise that you should make sure you can make serial console connections
before disabling graphics chips.

---
Yoshihiko Iwama