Upgrading discontinued ports

Dirk Engling <Dirk Engling
Hey,

after upgrading 10.4->11.2 tonight I noticed some stale php56 packages
still lingering around after pkg upgrade. Unfortunately it only occured
to me after upgrading 25 of around 50 jails, meaning I had to start over
checking for them.

Is there a way to upgrade a system with warnings about old packages and
successor recommendations?

  erdgeist

Re: Upgrading discontinued ports

Robert
Are you sure you've used a "force" flag, e.g. "pkg-static upgrade -f"?

On 11.03.19 04:56, Robert Ayrapetyan wrote:

> Are you sure you've used a "force" flag, e.g. "pkg-static upgrade
> -f"?
Yes. But all that does is force reinstall installed packages. However
the old package just isn't in the pkg repo anymore, so there's nothing
to re-install.

  erdgeist

Re: Upgrading discontinued ports

Robert
Could you specify some php56 package which was in 10.4 and not in 11.2?

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 11:48 PM Dirk Engling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11.03.19 04:56, Robert Ayrapetyan wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you've used a "force" flag, e.g. "pkg-static upgrade
> > -f"?
> Yes. But all that does is force reinstall installed packages. However
> the old package just isn't in the pkg repo anymore, so there's nothing
> to re-install.
>
>   erdgeist

Re: Upgrading discontinued ports

Matthew Seaman-5
On 11/03/2019 06:48, Dirk Engling wrote:
> On 11.03.19 04:56, Robert Ayrapetyan wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you've used a "force" flag, e.g. "pkg-static upgrade
>> -f"?
> Yes. But all that does is force reinstall installed packages. However
> the old package just isn't in the pkg repo anymore, so there's nothing
> to re-install.

pkg(8) does know about successor packages for many of these cases, but
only for what is mentioned in MOVED.

Unfortunately, in the specific case of upgrading from php56 to php72,
pkg(8) has no idea of the equivalence between php56-foo and php72-foo
packages.  All it knows is that php56-foo and php72-foo conflict on
installation, so when you install an updated php application compiled to
depend on php72 modules it will install the php72 dependencies for that
application, replacing the php56 equivalents.  If you've still got php56
modules left over, then one of two things has happened.  Either you've
installed a php56 module directly, because (for instance) it was needed
by some not-packaged PHP application you're running, or else you've
still got an old version of some PHP app package installed that still
depends on those php56 modules.  It's usually fairly easy to sort either
of those two situations out, but it does require manual intervention.

The best approach here is to run:

    pkg version -vRL=

whenever you're doing an upgrade with a significant change to something
with a big module library (PHP, perl, python, etc).  This should
highlight anything you have installed with no corresponding package in
the repo, so that you can take appropriate action.

        Cheers,

        Matthew