Upgrading from 6.2-RELEASE?

Kurt Buff
I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.

What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
freebsd-update to 7.4?

Thanks,

Kurt

Re: Upgrading from 6.2-RELEASE?

Adam Vande More
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Kurt Buff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
> and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
> necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.
>
> What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
> the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
> work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
> CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
> download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
> freebsd-update to 7.4?

You're probably best off to go 6.2 -> 6_3 then do your freebsd-update
stuff.  I don't think the upgrading from CD works -- at least I've heard
some horror stories.

--
Adam Vande More

Re: Upgrading from 6.2-RELEASE?

Chuck Swiger-2
On Oct 19, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Kurt Buff wrote:
> I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
> and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
> necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.

The most straightforward solution would be to build out and validate a new system running FreeBSD-7.4 or 8.2, and drop it in place of the old box.  If all is good, decommission the old hardware.

> What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
> the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
> work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
> CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
> download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
> freebsd-update to 7.4?

You can do either.  However, it's probably easier to just download and burn the 7.4 or 8.2 image, and do an upgrade directly than it would be do upgrade via source to 7.0-RELEASE and then try freebsd-update.

-Chuck

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:03, Chuck Swiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
>> and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
>> necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.
>
> The most straightforward solution would be to build out and validate a new system running FreeBSD-7.4 or 8.2, and drop it in place of the old box.  If all is good, decommission the old hardware.

I agree. I've already got a new VM started with 8.2. I'm trying to see
if I can migrate the data to the new host, but it's not finished yet,
and the old box's ports aren't functioning and can't be upgraded, so
I'm stuck in a bit of a scramble.

>> What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
>> the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
>> work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
>> CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
>> download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
>> freebsd-update to 7.4?
>
> You can do either.  However, it's probably easier to just download and burn the 7.4 or 8.2 image, and do an upgrade directly than it would be do upgrade via source to 7.0-RELEASE and then try freebsd-update.

Gotta love conflicting answers from you and Adam

I've got an ISO of 7.4. I think I'll do a dump of my data to a remote
machine, do the update, and see what that gets me.

On Oct 19, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> You can do either.  However, it's probably easier to just download and burn the 7.4 or 8.2 image, and do an upgrade directly than it would be do upgrade via source to 7.0-RELEASE and then try freebsd-update.
>
> Gotta love conflicting answers from you and Adam

Well, you did ask for opinions.  They tend to not be conflict-free.... :-)

I haven't had problems doing a reinstall from a new ISO image to update a FreeBSD box which was more than a major release out of date.  But, I was at pains to verify that I had complete backups and time to rollback if needed, and I also made sure to rebuild all of the ports after doing the OS reinstall/upgrade.

> I've got an ISO of 7.4. I think I'll do a dump of my data to a remote
> machine, do the update, and see what that gets me.

OK.

-Chuck

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:49, Chuck Swiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Kurt Buff wrote:
>>> You can do either.  However, it's probably easier to just download and burn the 7.4 or 8.2 image, and do an upgrade directly than it would be do upgrade via source to 7.0-RELEASE and then try freebsd-update.
>>
>> Gotta love conflicting answers from you and Adam
>
> Well, you did ask for opinions.  They tend to not be conflict-free.... :-)

Well, I *actually* asked for free technical assistance, but I know
that the same maxim applies. ;-o

> I haven't had problems doing a reinstall from a new ISO image to update a FreeBSD box which was
> more than a major release out of date.  But, I was at pains to verify that I had complete backups and
> time to rollback if needed, and I also made sure to rebuild all of the ports after doing the OS reinstall/upgrade.

That is also definitely part of the plan...

>> I've got an ISO of 7.4. I think I'll do a dump of my data to a remote
>> machine, do the update, and see what that gets me.
>
> OK.

Thanks for your help!

Kurt

Re: Upgrading from 6.2-RELEASE?

Damien Fleuriot-2
On 19 Oct 2011, at 21:45, Kurt Buff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:03, Chuck Swiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Oct 19, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Kurt Buff wrote:
>>> I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
>>> and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
>>> necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.
>>
>> The most straightforward solution would be to build out and validate a new system running FreeBSD-7.4 or 8.2, and drop it in place of the old box.  If all is good, decommission the old hardware.
>
> I agree. I've already got a new VM started with 8.2. I'm trying to see
> if I can migrate the data to the new host, but it's not finished yet,
> and the old box's ports aren't functioning and can't be upgraded, so
> I'm stuck in a bit of a scramble.
>
>>> What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
>>> the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
>>> work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
>>> CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
>>> download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
>>> freebsd-update to 7.4?
>>
>> You can do either.  However, it's probably easier to just download and burn the 7.4 or 8.2 image, and do an upgrade directly than it would be do upgrade via source to 7.0-RELEASE and then try freebsd-update.
>
> Gotta love conflicting answers from you and Adam

I'll give you more conflict.

I'd do source upgrades from 6.2 -> 6.3 -> 7.0 -> 7.4 -> 8.0 -> 8.2
Or at the very least 6.2 -> 7.0 -> (8.0 ->) 8.2
The idea here is to get to the latest stable version of a branch, then hop to the lowest version of the next one, rince/repeat.

This way, imo, you update more progressively and bit by bit.

I wouldn't be confident doing for instance 6.2 -> 8.2

And I'd be even muuuuuch less confident running binary upgrades or upgrades from CD.

I think a CD upgrade will not update your config files properly for instance.

You'll be missing new system accounts (like hast for example), you'll have extra init scripts lying around, you'll miss some, you'll miss stuff from periodic, startup script fixes...

Do not do a binary upgrade for major version hops.

Read UPDATING carefully and consider its contents take precedence over the website/handbook._______________________________________________

Re: Upgrading from 6.2-RELEASE?

Odhiambo Washington-4
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 21:55, Kurt Buff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
> and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
> necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.
>
> What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
> the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
> work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
> CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
> download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
> freebsd-update to 7.4?

You can ignore everything you have been told so far and head to
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/ and follow the procedures there, one
at a time, and you will be able to update your box all the way to FreeBSD
9.x !!
I have used them before to upgrade several boxes. I prompted RSE to write
the 8.x->9.x procedure and I tested it step by step and I am currently
running 9.0-BETA3 on one of my boxes:

[wash@jaribu ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD jaribu.kictanet.or.ke 9.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 9.0-BETA3 #0: Fri Oct  7
14:11:20 EAT 2011     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GW
  i386

So what you need is to upgrade to RELENG_6 first, using csup/cvsup, then
start the procedures of 6.x-7.x, 7.x->8.x and if you want, 8.x->9.x

Good luck!

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,