Upgrading multiple Jails via freebsd-update

Upgrading multiple Jails via freebsd-update

Antranig Vartanian
Greetings!

freebsd-update is an amazing tool to upgrade the system without
compiling from sources and upgrading jails can be as easy as freebsd-
update -b /path/to/jail upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE, however I have noticed
that when using the utility multiple times, it still fetches the files
multiple times.

My question is: Is there a way to use FreeBSD-update in a way, that
allows the user to download once and upgrade multiple Jails. I run
dozens of jails on multiple hosts and it's very frustrating to download
the same content.

I think it's okay for the patch files to be downloaded every time
(freebsd-update fetch install), since they are small and don't require
a lot of time, but the upgrade process is somehow a pain.

Some things I know I don't want: 1) Thin Jails (I like using zfs clone
on ZFS systems and tar xf base.txz -C jail0/ on UFS) as a solution,
since I change the base a lot. 2) Using network caching (say, via
Varnish), it seems like more overhead, although any new suggestions
would be nice 3) compiling the sources at all (but I'm rethinking this
lately, however my CPU is not that fast).

Any tips and suggestions would be nice!

P.S. In an ideal solution, it would be nice to just download the ISO or
tarballs from the mirrors and pass that to freebsd-update, but looks
like that required a lot of work.

--
antranigv
https://antranigv.am/

Re: Upgrading multiple Jails via freebsd-update

Lars Engels-2
Am 2020-12-13 13:04, schrieb antranigv:

> Greetings!
>
> freebsd-update is an amazing tool to upgrade the system without
> compiling from sources and upgrading jails can be as easy as freebsd-
> update -b /path/to/jail upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE, however I have noticed
> that when using the utility multiple times, it still fetches the files
> multiple times.
>
> My question is: Is there a way to use FreeBSD-update in a way, that
> allows the user to download once and upgrade multiple Jails. I run
> dozens of jails on multiple hosts and it's very frustrating to download
> the same content.
>
> I think it's okay for the patch files to be downloaded every time
> (freebsd-update fetch install), since they are small and don't require
> a lot of time, but the upgrade process is somehow a pain.
>
> Some things I know I don't want: 1) Thin Jails (I like using zfs clone
> on ZFS systems and tar xf base.txz -C jail0/ on UFS) as a solution,
> since I change the base a lot. 2) Using network caching (say, via
> Varnish), it seems like more overhead, although any new suggestions
> would be nice 3) compiling the sources at all (but I'm rethinking this
> lately, however my CPU is not that fast).
>
> Any tips and suggestions would be nice!
>
> P.S. In an ideal solution, it would be nice to just download the ISO or
> tarballs from the mirrors and pass that to freebsd-update, but looks
> like that required a lot of work.

You can nullfs-mount /var/db/freebsd-update from the host into the jails
you want to update.

Re: Upgrading multiple Jails via freebsd-update

Julien Cigar-4
On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 04:04:39PM +0400, antranigv wrote:
> Greetings!

Hello,

> freebsd-update is an amazing tool to upgrade the system without
> compiling from sources and upgrading jails can be as easy as freebsd-
> update -b /path/to/jail upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE, however I have noticed
> that when using the utility multiple times, it still fetches the files
> multiple times.
>
> My question is: Is there a way to use FreeBSD-update in a way, that
> allows the user to download once and upgrade multiple Jails. I run
> dozens of jails on multiple hosts and it's very frustrating to download
> the same content.
>
> I think it's okay for the patch files to be downloaded every time
> (freebsd-update fetch install), since they are small and don't require
> a lot of time, but the upgrade process is somehow a pain.
>
> Some things I know I don't want: 1) Thin Jails (I like using zfs clone
> on ZFS systems and tar xf base.txz -C jail0/ on UFS) as a solution,
> since I change the base a lot. 2) Using network caching (say, via
> Varnish), it seems like more overhead, although any new suggestions
> would be nice 3) compiling the sources at all (but I'm rethinking this
> lately, however my CPU is not that fast).
>
> Any tips and suggestions would be nice!
>
> P.S. In an ideal solution, it would be nice to just download the ISO or
> tarballs from the mirrors and pass that to freebsd-update, but looks
> like that required a lot of work.

You could setup a caching proxy for freebsd-update with nginx (or ...)

> --
> antranigv
> https://antranigv.am/

Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform (http://www.biodiversity.be)
PGP fingerprint: EEF9 F697 4B68 D275 7B11  6A25 B2BB 3710 A204 23C0