Upstream Request: Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapter.

Upstream Request: Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapter.

freebsd-drivers mailing list
Hi all,

We are planning to upstream/inbox our FreeBSD cam driver which supports
Emulex FC host bus adapters (LPe16xx and LPe32xx family).

Please provide me the inputs on up-streaming driver process for FreeBSD. If
you can share any documents related to that will be of great help.

Thanks,
Ram

Re: Upstream Request: Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapter.

John Baldwin
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:50:21 AM Ram Kishore Vegesna via freebsd-drivers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are planning to upstream/inbox our FreeBSD cam driver which supports
> Emulex FC host bus adapters (LPe16xx and LPe32xx family).
>
> Please provide me the inputs on up-streaming driver process for FreeBSD. If
> you can share any documents related to that will be of great help.

Unfortunately there isn't a white paper that describes how to upstream drivers
very well.  However, here are some suggestions:

1) Create a phabricator account at reviews.freebsd.org and upload a diff there
   to begin the code review process.  There is a command line client ("arcanist")
   for phabricator that you can use to upload a diff from a git or hg branch
   or from a modified svn checkout.

2) Find a reviewer.  This can happen in a couple of ways.  I've cc'd Alexander
   Motin (mav@) who has worked on the isp(4) driver for QLogic HBAs that support
   FC.  He will hopefully be able to either review or help forward you to another
   person who can.  I've also cc'd Stephen Hurd who is a committer who works at
   Broadcom on the bnxt(4) NIC driver as he might be a good resource, and might
   be able to give useful advice on the upstreaming process.

Also, apologies for the latency in the reply.

--
John Baldwin