Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

Amit Yaron
Hi,

I have that USB portable scanner. Installed the driver with wine, but it
does not scan.
Is there anything I can do, or just revive my Windows 7?

Thanks,
   Amit

Re: Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

freebsd-questions mailing list
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:02:55 +0300, Amit Yaron wrote:
>I have that USB portable scanner. Installed the driver with wine, but
>it does not scan.
>Is there anything I can do, or just revive my Windows 7?

Hi,

a real "driver" or some driver "alike" software? Does this "driver" work
when using a VM?

If a real "driver" is required, then it can't work, neither when using
wine, nor when using Windows 7 in a VM.

Real "drivers" for FreeBSD as well as for Linux are kernel modules for
FreeBSD (or Linux), installing a Windows thingy can't work.

If it should be some driver "alike" software you perhaps need to install
some missing dll, let alone that some software doesn't run properly
under wine, if at all. perhaps you have better luck when using a VM.

If you really need a driver that isn't available for FreeBSD, then you
indeed need a dual/multi boot with a real Windows install.

Regards,
Ralf

.

Re: Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

Polytropon
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:02:55 +0300, Amit Yaron wrote:
> I have that USB portable scanner. Installed the driver with wine, but it
> does not scan.
> Is there anything I can do, or just revive my Windows 7?

Did you verify the OS detecting the device? Check the last
lines in "dmesg" output. But as far as I know, wine does
not support USB (at least it didn't for many years)...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

Re: Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

Steve O'Hara-Smith
Amit Yaron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have that USB portable scanner. Installed the driver with wine, but it
> does not scan.
> Is there anything I can do, or just revive my Windows 7?

        SANE supports some plustek models, it's probably worth installing
the packages (sane-backends and sane-frontends) and seeing if it detects
your scanner, unless for some reason you really want to use the Windows
software.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <[hidden email]>

Re: Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

Arthur Chance
On 13/09/2017 13:35, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:02:55 +0300
> Amit Yaron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have that USB portable scanner. Installed the driver with wine, but it
>> does not scan.
>> Is there anything I can do, or just revive my Windows 7?
>
> SANE supports some plustek models, it's probably worth installing
> the packages (sane-backends and sane-frontends) and seeing if it detects
> your scanner, unless for some reason you really want to use the Windows
> software.

The SANE list of supported Plustek scanners does not mention
MobileOffice by name. It might be worth comparing USB ids.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-PLUSTEK

--
An amusing coincidence: log2(58) = 5.858 (to 0.0003% accuracy).

Re: Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

Amit Yaron
I know that Wine for Linux can support USB if you create links to
/dev/ttyUSB*, which do not exist in FreeBSD.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:13:27 +0300, Amit Yaron wrote:
> I know that Wine for Linux can support USB if you create links to
> /dev/ttyUSB*, which do not exist in FreeBSD.

Depending on the scanner, two things are possible:

a) finally /dev/uscanner0 appears, which means that SANE has
   a 90%+ chance to get the scanner working

b) only /dev/ugenX.Y (generic USB device) appears, but SANE can
   often work with that, too

At least a new USB device should be recognized by the system.
With the usbconfig utility, vendor and device ID can be obtained
for further investigations about hardware support.

Scanner interaction tools are provided with xsane, xscanimage,
a GIMP plugin, or a LibreOffice function.

It's worth checking which native solutions are possible before
trying more complex things like WINE or even a full "Windows"
virtualization.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

Re: Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

Adam Vande More
On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Amit Yaron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that Wine for Linux can support USB if you create links to
> /dev/ttyUSB*, which do not exist in FreeBSD.

Where is the documentation for this support?

--
Adam

Re: Using PlustekMobileOffice with Wine

Amit Yaron
Here's the link:
http://g8ogj.org/files/Using%20USB%20serial%20ports%20under%20wine%20howwto%20ipb.pdf

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Amit Yaron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's the link:
> 20wine%20howwto%20ipb.pdf

That's not USB support.  It's serial port support for a device that happens
to be plugged into a USB port.  I imagine wine would work in a similar
fashion under FreeBSD if you were trying to connect to a USB-to-Serial
adapter.  USB support is something completely different, and as already
indicated to you it likely doesn't work.  Regardless, you should ask the
wine folks if you wish to pursue this.

If you want a scanner to work with a *nix system, the easiest path is to
chose one from the SANE compatibility list.  My HP's work well.

--
Adam