VirtFS support in bhyve

Jakub Wojciech Klama
Hello,

I'm working on virtio-9p (so-called VirtFS) support in bhyve. Project consists of two parts: BSD-licensed lib9p library and actual virtio-9p driver. Right now it's able to do filesystem passthrough using 9P2000.u protocol to Linux guests.

You can check it out here: https://github.com/jceel/freebsd/tree/virtfs

Syntax:
bhyve side: append `-s <n>,virtio-9p,sharename=/host/path`
linux side: `mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio -o version=9p2000.u sharename /mnt/guest/path`

Using 9p as root filesystem for Linux guests should work too.

Plans:
- Definitely in-kernel 9pfs filesystem support for FreeBSD guests using same lib9p library
- 9P2000.L support (adds ACLs, extattrs, file locks, atomic reads/writes and so on)
- Filesystem backend using AIO
- Ability to export multiple trees for different "aname" values using one virtio-9p device (that's actually a low-hanging fruit)

I'm looking forward to your feedback - keep in mind that's totally experimental/incomplete/nonworking code.

Jakub.

Re: VirtFS support in bhyve

Nikos Vassiliadis-6

On 02/01/16 04:22, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on virtio-9p (so-called VirtFS) support in bhyve. Project consists of two parts: BSD-licensed lib9p library and actual virtio-9p driver. Right now it's able to do filesystem passthrough using 9P2000.u protocol to Linux guests.
>
> You can check it out here: https://github.com/jceel/freebsd/tree/virtfs
>
> Syntax:
> bhyve side: append `-s <n>,virtio-9p,sharename=/host/path`
> linux side: `mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio -o version=9p2000.u sharename /mnt/guest/path`
>
> Using 9p as root filesystem for Linux guests should work too.
>
> Plans:
> - Definitely in-kernel 9pfs filesystem support for FreeBSD guests using same lib9p library
> - 9P2000.L support (adds ACLs, extattrs, file locks, atomic reads/writes and so on)
> - Filesystem backend using AIO
> - Ability to export multiple trees for different "aname" values using one virtio-9p device (that's actually a low-hanging fruit)
>
> I'm looking forward to your feedback - keep in mind that's totally experimental/incomplete/nonworking code.
>
> Jakub.

Hi Jakub,

This is a very cool project! Does this apply to 10-STABLE also?
Could you provide a patch for the people who are not familiar with
github?

Thanks,
Nikos