Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

Eirik Øverby
Hi,

ever since I started using my 6th gen ThinkPad X1 Carbon as my daily work horse back in 2019 I have had occasional problems getting it to wake from sleep. Lately I thought I had nailed it down somewhat - making sure I close the lid (which is the only condition in which it will sleep on its own) only while the screen is actually on. Closing the lid when the screensaver had turned the display off would almost certainly prevent waking from sleep.

Now, since I updated from r365358 to r365688, I have not once been able to wake from sleep.

The problem manifests thus: The computer seems to go to sleep correctly; the LED on the display starts pulsating as it should and all fan activity stops. Upon opening the lid, the pulsating stops, but the power LED pulsates instead. There is no display activity and no signs of it actually waking up. Force-power-off is the only way to resuscitate, after which (and I am fairly sure I'm not imagining this) it is very hard to get my GELI password right - so another power cycle is required before the keyboard is fully reliable pre-boot.

I have absolutely no idea how to go about debugging this. The BIOS on the system is pretty new, the TPM chip is disabled (that seemed to help reliability quite a bit), and unused/unsupported devices are disabled in BIOS. No BIOS configuration has changed between the revisions.

Any hints would be more than welcome.

Thanks all,
/Eirik

Re: Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

Andriy Gapon
On 15/09/2020 22:36, Eirik Øverby wrote:
> Now, since I updated from r365358 to r365688, I have not once been able to wake from sleep.

Is that the only thing that changed?
Any port / package upgrades?

--
Andriy Gapon

On 9/15/20 9:50 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> On 15/09/2020 22:36, Eirik Øverby wrote:
>> Now, since I updated from r365358 to r365688, I have not once been able to wake from sleep.
>
> Is that the only thing that changed?
> Any port / package upgrades?

There have been updates to packages, yes - but it didn't even occur to me that these could impact the resume process at such an early stage. Not sure which that would be; obviously the drm module has been rebuilt each time I upgraded, but I don't have any other kernel modules installed from packages.

On 15/09/2020 23:13, Eirik Øverby wrote:
> On 9/15/20 9:50 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> On 15/09/2020 22:36, Eirik Øverby wrote:
>>> Now, since I updated from r365358 to r365688, I have not once been able to wake from sleep.
>>
>> Is that the only thing that changed?
>> Any port / package upgrades?
>
> There have been updates to packages, yes - but it didn't even occur to me that these could impact the resume process at such an early stage. Not sure which that would be; obviously the drm module has been rebuilt each time I upgraded, but I don't have any other kernel modules installed from packages.

Yes, I specifically had drm modules in mind.

--
Andriy Gapon

Re: Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

Warner Losh
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM Andriy Gapon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/09/2020 23:13, Eirik Øverby wrote:
> able to wake from sleep.
> >>
> >> Is that the only thing that changed?
> >> Any port / package upgrades?
> >
> > There have been updates to packages, yes - but it didn't even occur to
> me that these could impact the resume process at such an early stage. Not
> sure which that would be; obviously the drm module has been rebuilt each
> time I upgraded, but I don't have any other kernel modules installed from
> packages.
>
> Yes, I specifically had drm modules in mind.

I too can report this for my Lenovo Yoga running code as of September 13,
but with manu's latest drm...  It used to work fine, but my last build on
the system was from May. Most likely a new panic in that code path, but
I've not chased down further...

Warner

Re: Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

Li-Wen Hsu-3
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Andriy Gapon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/09/2020 23:13, Eirik Øverby wrote:
> >>
> >> Is that the only thing that changed?
> >> Any port / package upgrades?
> >
> > There have been updates to packages, yes - but it didn't even occur to me that these could impact the resume process at such an early stage. Not sure which that would be; obviously the drm module has been rebuilt each time I upgraded, but I don't have any other kernel modules installed from packages.

Which version of drm module are you using?

> Yes, I specifically had drm modules in mind.

I also use X1C 6th and it was working perfectly after updating BIOS to
1.30 (which I'm currently using) in Sep. 2018 [1]. I don't remember
any suspend/resume failures. But since late 2019, it has exactly the
same symptom as yours. Suspending is fine, but upon resuming, there is
about a 50% probability that the power LDE continues pulsating with
all other LDEs like FnLock and CapsLock are on like the machine is
awake.

I still doubt if this is related to drm. I have tried to
suspend/resume without drm module loads, all successed, but the number
of the experiments are too small (< 10) so I can't tell if this is the
conclusion.

Currently I'm on r363470 with drm-devel-kmod-5.3.g20200724. While
reporting issue [2], I found that setting hw.i915kms.enable_psr=0 in
/boot/loader.conf helps. Before that it has about a 30% probability of
failing to resume (yes one of the few things getting better in 2020),
after that, I still see some failures, but the failure rate reduces to
about 5~10%.

I haven't upgraded to newer kernel/world and drm-devel-kmod yet.

[1] https://twitter.com/lwhsu/status/1039711710913945601
[2] https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/issues/14

Best,
Li-Wen

Re: Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

Poul-Henning Kamp
--------
Warner Losh writes:

> I too can report this for my Lenovo Yoga running code as of September 13,
> but with manu's latest drm...  It used to work fine, but my last build on
> the system was from May. Most likely a new panic in that code path, but
> I've not chased down further...

My T480 runs:

        FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #1 r364533M: Mon Aug 24 00:02:01 UTC 2020

and

        drm-devel-kmod-5.3.g20200724

And I have not seen any suspend/resume problems.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
[hidden email]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956

On 16/09/2020 10:05, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM Andriy Gapon <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 15/09/2020 23:13, Eirik Øverby wrote:
>     > On 9/15/20 9:50 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>     >> On 15/09/2020 22:36, Eirik Øverby wrote:
>     >>> Now, since I updated from r365358 to r365688, I have not once been able
>     to wake from sleep.
>     >>
>     >> Is that the only thing that changed?
>     >> Any port / package upgrades?
>     >
>     > There have been updates to packages, yes - but it didn't even occur to me
>     that these could impact the resume process at such an early stage. Not sure
>     which that would be; obviously the drm module has been rebuilt each time I
>     upgraded, but I don't have any other kernel modules installed from packages.
>
>     Yes, I specifically had drm modules in mind.
>

> I too can report this for my Lenovo Yoga running code as of September 13, but
> with manu's latest drm...  It used to work fine, but my last build on the system
> was from May. Most likely a new panic in that code path, but I've not chased
> down further...

One thing to check is to set debug.acpi.suspend_bounce=1 before suspending.
This will run suspend (and then resume) methods of all drivers just like for a
normal suspend, but will skip the actual ACPI suspend.

--
Andriy Gapon

On 9/16/20 9:07 AM, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Andriy Gapon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There have been updates to packages, yes - but it didn't even occur to me that these could impact the resume process at such an early stage. Not sure which that would be; obviously the drm module has been rebuilt each time I upgraded, but I don't have any other kernel modules installed from packages.
>
> Which version of drm module are you using?

13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #7 r365688
drm-devel-kmod-5.4.62.g20200905_1

Built against the running kernel sources, of course.

>> Yes, I specifically had drm modules in mind.
>
> I also use X1C 6th and it was working perfectly after updating BIOS to
> 1.30 (which I'm currently using) in Sep. 2018 [1]. I don't remember
> any suspend/resume failures. But since late 2019, it has exactly the
> same symptom as yours. Suspending is fine, but upon resuming, there is
> about a 50% probability that the power LDE continues pulsating with
> all other LDEs like FnLock and CapsLock are on like the machine is
> awake.

Right-o.

/Eirik

Re: Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

Hans Petter Selasky-6
On 2020-09-16 10:51, Eirik Øverby wrote:

> On 9/16/20 9:07 AM, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:

>> Which version of drm module are you using?
>
> 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #7 r365688
> drm-devel-kmod-5.4.62.g20200905_1
>
> Built against the running kernel sources, of course.
>

>>> Yes, I specifically had drm modules in mind.
>>
>> I also use X1C 6th and it was working perfectly after updating BIOS to
>> 1.30 (which I'm currently using) in Sep. 2018 [1]. I don't remember
>> any suspend/resume failures. But since late 2019, it has exactly the
>> same symptom as yours. Suspending is fine, but upon resuming, there is
>> about a 50% probability that the power LDE continues pulsating with
>> all other LDEs like FnLock and CapsLock are on like the machine is
>> awake.
>
> Right-o.

To make sure suspend/resume is not blocked by USB you can try setting:

sysctl hw.usb.no_suspend_wait=1

--HPS

On 9/16/20 11:05 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> To make sure suspend/resume is not blocked by USB you can try setting:
>
> sysctl hw.usb.no_suspend_wait=1

Thanks, that is useful - it's a separate problem with my USB DAC. Not sure if it's relevant to the resume issue, though?

/Eirik