What creates java links in /usr/local/bin?

What creates java links in /usr/local/bin?

Thomas T. Veldhouse
What process is creating the links to the JDK in /usr/local/bin?  I have
both JDK1.4 and JDK1.5 installed (both native), and the links all
currently point to 1.4.  Is there a utility that will relink to the 1.5
binaries, or will I have to do this manually?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Veldhouse

Re: What creates java links in /usr/local/bin?

Herve Quiroz-2
On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:15:58AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> What process is creating the links to the JDK in /usr/local/bin?  I have
> both JDK1.4 and JDK1.5 installed (both native), and the links all
> currently point to 1.4.  Is there a utility that will relink to the 1.5
> binaries, or will I have to do this manually?

No, the links should not point to 1.4 binaries. They should all point to
/usr/local/bin/javavm. Actually this is a feature provided by
javavmwrapper. See javavm(1) for further information.

If you want to be able to use Java 1.5 via /usr/local/bin/java, you may
either:

Set JAVA_HOME to /usr/local/jdk1.5.0:

  $ JAVA_HOME=/usrl/local/jdk1.5.0 java -version

  java version "1.5.0-p2"

Or unset JAVA_HOME and set JAVA_VERSION to 1.5:

  $ unset JAVA_HOME ; JAVA_VERSION=1.5 java -version

  java version "1.5.0-p2"

If you want 1.5 to become the default JDK for all users in the system,
just set this in /etc/make.conf:

  JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS= JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_5

Herve

Re: What creates java links in /usr/local/bin?

Sean McNeil
On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 11:15 -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> What process is creating the links to the JDK in /usr/local/bin?  I have
> both JDK1.4 and JDK1.5 installed (both native), and the links all
> currently point to 1.4.  Is there a utility that will relink to the 1.5
> binaries, or will I have to do this manually?

javavmwrapper-2.0_6?

Herve Quiroz wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:15:58AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>

>>What process is creating the links to the JDK in /usr/local/bin?  I have
>>both JDK1.4 and JDK1.5 installed (both native), and the links all
>>currently point to 1.4.  Is there a utility that will relink to the 1.5
>>binaries, or will I have to do this manually?
>>

>No, the links should not point to 1.4 binaries. They should all point to
>/usr/local/bin/javavm. Actually this is a feature provided by
>javavmwrapper. See javavm(1) for further information.

javavm as a replacement for java is deprecated.  Something in the
installation of the port of JDK14, which was current last Oct 22,
created those links.  What created those links?  I just want to relink them.

Tom

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Herve Quiroz wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:15:58AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>>

>>> What process is creating the links to the JDK in /usr/local/bin?  I
>>> have both JDK1.4 and JDK1.5 installed (both native), and the links
>>> all currently point to 1.4.  Is there a utility that will relink to
>>> the 1.5 binaries, or will I have to do this manually?
>>>

>> No, the links should not point to 1.4 binaries. They should all point to
>> /usr/local/bin/javavm. Actually this is a feature provided by
>> javavmwrapper. See javavm(1) for further information.
>>

> javavm as a replacement for java is deprecated.  Something in the
> installation of the port of JDK14, which was current last Oct 22,
> created those links.  What created those links?  I just want to relink
> them.

Nevermind, javavm creates those links.

Tom Veldhouse