What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN' ?

What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN' ?

Wei Guo
Hi list,

I tried ipw, iwn, and iwi, but ended up with no luck. What's more, it
seems that the wireless adapter has not been even detected by the
system. I ran 'pciconf -l' and got this line which seems to be my
wireless adapter:

none3@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x42228086 chip=0x08918086 rev=0xc4 hdr=0x00

Is there a driver for that under FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE?

Thanks!

Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN' ?

Andreas Nilsson-8
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Denise H. G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I tried ipw, iwn, and iwi, but ended up with no luck. What's more, it
> seems that the wireless adapter has not been even detected by the
> system. I ran 'pciconf -l' and got this line which seems to be my
> wireless adapter:
>
> none3@pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x42228086 chip=0x08918086
> rev=0xc4 hdr=0x00
>
> Is there a driver for that under FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE?
>
> Thanks!

Man page for iwi says
The iwi driver provides support for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG

Do you have legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1  in loader.conf ?

Perhaps you need to check if the device id is listed in the source code?

Best regards
Andreas

Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN' ?

Kevin Oberman-3
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Andreas Nilsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Denise H. G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I tried ipw, iwn, and iwi, but ended up with no luck. What's more, it
>> seems that the wireless adapter has not been even detected by the
>> system. I ran 'pciconf -l' and got this line which seems to be my
>> wireless adapter:
>>
>> none3@pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x42228086 chip=0x08918086
>> rev=0xc4 hdr=0x00
>>
>> Is there a driver for that under FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Man page for iwi says
> The iwi driver provides support for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG
>
> Do you have legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1  in loader.conf ?
>
> Perhaps you need to check if the device id is listed in the source code?

Yes. Some vendors (e.g. Lenovo, HP) have private PCIIDs on their
cards, so they may not be in the source. Adding them is trivial, but,
should this be the issue, please open a PR to have it added to the
source in SVN.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: [hidden email]

On 2012/10/09 at 00:36, Andreas Nilsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Denise H. G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I tried ipw, iwn, and iwi, but ended up with no luck. What's more, it
>> seems that the wireless adapter has not been even detected by the
>> system. I ran 'pciconf -l' and got this line which seems to be my
>> wireless adapter:
>>
>> none3@pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x42228086 chip=0x08918086
>> rev=0xc4 hdr=0x00
>>
>> Is there a driver for that under FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Man page for iwi says
> The iwi driver provides support for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG

Mine is an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 BGN.

> Do you have legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1  in loader.conf ?

Yes. according the man pages, I've done what is needed, but still with
no luck.

> Perhaps you need to check if the device id is listed in the source
> code?

Thanks. I've been trying. Hope this has something to do with the device ids.

On 2012/10/09 at 00:44, Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Andreas Nilsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Denise H. G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I tried ipw, iwn, and iwi, but ended up with no luck. What's more, it
>>> seems that the wireless adapter has not been even detected by the
>>> system. I ran 'pciconf -l' and got this line which seems to be my
>>> wireless adapter:
>>>
>>> none3@pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x42228086 chip=0x08918086
>>> rev=0xc4 hdr=0x00
>>>
>>> Is there a driver for that under FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Man page for iwi says
>> The iwi driver provides support for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG
>>
>> Do you have legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1  in loader.conf ?
>>
>> Perhaps you need to check if the device id is listed in the source code?
>
> Yes. Some vendors (e.g. Lenovo, HP) have private PCIIDs on their
> cards, so they may not be in the source. Adding them is trivial, but,
> should this be the issue, please open a PR to have it added to the
> source in SVN.

I tried to add some device ids into the source code of the drivers, but
with no luck. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.

Thanks!

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Denise H. G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012/10/09 at 00:44, Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Man page for iwi says
>>> The iwi driver provides support for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG
>>>
>>> Do you have legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1  in loader.conf ?
>>>
>>> Perhaps you need to check if the device id is listed in the source code?
>>
>> Yes. Some vendors (e.g. Lenovo, HP) have private PCIIDs on their
>> cards, so they may not be in the source. Adding them is trivial, but,
>> should this be the issue, please open a PR to have it added to the
>> source in SVN.
>
> I tried to add some device ids into the source code of the drivers, but
> with no luck. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.

The card ID in the code is 4220 and yours has is 4222. Edit
/sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c and add:
        { 0x8086, 0x4222, "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG" },
 after line 123.

If you are loading the module, you can just rebuild that. Otherwise
you will need to rebuild the kernel. If you are not familiar with
building a module, rebuilding the whole thing, kernel and modules, is
probably the best idea.

Note that I don't currently have any 2200BG card, so I have not done
any testing. I looked at the pci.ids file and it does not seem to have
an entry for 0x4220, but does have one for 0x4222, so I am a bit
confused, but the pci.ids file is not relevant to the driver. It's
just an oddity.

On 2012/10/10 at 12:32, Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Denise H. G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes. Some vendors (e.g. Lenovo, HP) have private PCIIDs on their
>>> cards, so they may not be in the source. Adding them is trivial, but,
>>> should this be the issue, please open a PR to have it added to the
>>> source in SVN.
>>
>> I tried to add some device ids into the source code of the drivers, but
>> with no luck. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.
>
> The card ID in the code is 4220 and yours has is 4222. Edit
> /sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c and add:
>         { 0x8086, 0x4222, "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG" },
>  after line 123.
>
> If you are loading the module, you can just rebuild that. Otherwise
> you will need to rebuild the kernel. If you are not familiar with
> building a module, rebuilding the whole thing, kernel and modules, is
> probably the best idea.
>
> Note that I don't currently have any 2200BG card, so I have not done
> any testing. I looked at the pci.ids file and it does not seem to have
> an entry for 0x4220, but does have one for 0x4222, so I am a bit
> confused, but the pci.ids file is not relevant to the driver. It's
> just an oddity.

Thanks for your help. I've added the card's id to if_iwn.c and rebuilt
the kernel. When system boots, the card is recognized. But the driver
says it cannot load the firmware for this specific card. I guess more
work is to be done to get this card running.

I took a look at the code in if_iwn.c. It seems it is pretty hard coded
for the known cards. If a new card is to be supported, much work may be
needed to do it.

Anyway, thank you. I think I might need a USB wireless solution now.

> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN' ?

Adrian Chadd-2
No, just give Bermhard time to see and reply :)

adrian

On 10 October 2012 06:51, Denise H. G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012/10/10 at 12:32, Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I tried to add some device ids into the source code of the drivers, but
>>> with no luck. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.
>>
>> The card ID in the code is 4220 and yours has is 4222. Edit
>> /sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c and add:
>>         { 0x8086, 0x4222, "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG" },
>>  after line 123.
>>
>> If you are loading the module, you can just rebuild that. Otherwise
>> you will need to rebuild the kernel. If you are not familiar with
>> building a module, rebuilding the whole thing, kernel and modules, is
>> probably the best idea.
>>
>> Note that I don't currently have any 2200BG card, so I have not done
>> any testing. I looked at the pci.ids file and it does not seem to have
>> an entry for 0x4220, but does have one for 0x4222, so I am a bit
>> confused, but the pci.ids file is not relevant to the driver. It's
>> just an oddity.
>
> Thanks for your help. I've added the card's id to if_iwn.c and rebuilt
> the kernel. When system boots, the card is recognized. But the driver
> says it cannot load the firmware for this specific card. I guess more
> work is to be done to get this card running.
>
> I took a look at the code in if_iwn.c. It seems it is pretty hard coded
> for the known cards. If a new card is to be supported, much work may be
> needed to do it.
>
> Anyway, thank you. I think I might need a USB wireless solution now.
>
>> --
>> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>> E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN'?

Bernhard Schmidt-4
On Wednesday 10 October 2012 15:51:24 Denise H. G. wrote:
> [...]

No, not yet. I'm having a hard figuring out the new firmware API for
those new devices. Working on it..

> >> I tried to add some device ids into the source code of the drivers, but
> >> with no luck. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.
> >
> > The card ID in the code is 4220 and yours has is 4222. Edit
> > /sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c and add:
> >         { 0x8086, 0x4222, "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG" },
> >  after line 123.

Note the tiny difference in here ;)

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG
vs.
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 BGN

There are like 10 years in between. :)

Just to clarify, the 0x4222 is for iwn(4), adding the IDs there is the
first step, followed by a new firmware module and some glue code.

I already thought about adding just the firmware but not the IDs yet,
for others to tinker with. Issue is that this would generate
regressions with already working cards, eg. 6230. So, eventually..
just not yet.

--
Bernhard

On 2012/10/11 at 01:54, Bernhard Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, not yet. I'm having a hard figuring out the new firmware API for
> those new devices. Working on it..

>> > The card ID in the code is 4220 and yours has is 4222. Edit
>> > /sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c and add:
>> >         { 0x8086, 0x4222, "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG" },
>> >  after line 123.
>
> Note the tiny difference in here ;)
>
> Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG
> vs.
> Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 BGN
>
> There are like 10 years in between. :)
>
> Just to clarify, the 0x4222 is for iwn(4), adding the IDs there is the
> first step, followed by a new firmware module and some glue code.
>
> I already thought about adding just the firmware but not the IDs yet,
> for others to tinker with. Issue is that this would generate
> regressions with already working cards, eg. 6230. So, eventually..
> just not yet.

Thanks for clarifying! hope it would not be too long before it works!

> --
> Bernhard

Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN'?

Eitan Adler-4
On 10 October 2012 13:54, Bernhard Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, not yet. I'm having a hard figuring out the new firmware API for
> those new devices. Working on it..

> Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 BGN

Has there been any progress on this?

--
Eitan Adler

On 25 December 2012 22:06, Eitan Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> No, not yet. I'm having a hard figuring out the new firmware API for
>> those new devices. Working on it..

>> Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 BGN
>
> Has there been any progress on this?

ping?

I have this wireless card and would love to use the internet. :)

--
Eitan Adler

Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN'?

Adrian Chadd-2
Hi,

The best thing I can suggest right now is trying the linux driver out
and if it works better, working out what the driver is / isn't doing
correctly.

I suspect that if you simply wait for something to happen, it's not
going to happen.

Adrian

On 5 January 2013 21:04, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The best thing I can suggest right now is trying the linux driver out
> and if it works better, working out what the driver is / isn't doing
> correctly.

Bernhard Schmidt, an expert in the area, is having a hard time
figuring it out.  I, with zero experience in the area, no testing
hardware (just my one nic), am going to have an easier time to figure
this out?

> I suspect that if you simply wait for something to happen, it's not
> going to happen.

This assumes I have the time to work on this.

Currently *all three* of my nics do not work on HEAD.  I chasing down
one of them on -usb now with hps.  iwn is the second.  The last is alc
which I've been told the vendor may be working on (and db is working
on as well).

Furthermore my main development computer (which had working internet)
has a broken motherboard which I am waiting for a replacement for.

I also work during the day and take a course on the Weekend.  I simply
*do not* have the time to track this down.

When I do have to work on FreeBSD stuff I have { ports, src, doc }
stuff that I already do in addition to working on closing PRs, chasing
down users, etc.

Sometimes the answer isn't "please do more work".  At this time I
*can't* be the one tracking down the iwn bug / missing feature.

--
Eitan Adler

Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN'?

Adrian Chadd-2
[snip]

Welcome to FreeBSD wireless. :-) Where there's like two of us pulling
double-duty, and a few others helping out here and there.

I think the main problem with the intel card is that the _linux_
driver isn't yet stable, so unless we find someone who knows the
NIC/firmware very well, we're stuck with that.

Adrian