What is the zstreamdump command in OpenZFS?

What is the zstreamdump command in OpenZFS?

Thomas Laus
Group:

Whenever I perform a major upgrade to any of my ZFS pools, I make a
habit of sending the most recent snapshot to a file and then to a DLT
tape or DVD.  I run the zstreamdump utility on the file and record the
checksum.  I also run zstreamdump on the archive media and compare
checksums.  With the recent ZFS upgrade in CURRENT, I could not locate
this utility.  With a major upgrade such as this, I was really concerned
about not being able to boot and loosing everything on a production
system.  Fortunately this upgrade went smoothly and I did not have to
restore from alternate media.  The next time, I may not be lucky.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1

Re: What is the zstreamdump command in OpenZFS?

Ryan Moeller-2

On 9/1/20 1:32 PM, Thomas Laus wrote:

> Group:
>
> Whenever I perform a major upgrade to any of my ZFS pools, I make a
> habit of sending the most recent snapshot to a file and then to a DLT
> tape or DVD.  I run the zstreamdump utility on the file and record the
> checksum.  I also run zstreamdump on the archive media and compare
> checksums.  With the recent ZFS upgrade in CURRENT, I could not locate
> this utility.  With a major upgrade such as this, I was really concerned
> about not being able to boot and loosing everything on a production
> system.  Fortunately this upgrade went smoothly and I did not have to
> restore from alternate media.  The next time, I may not be lucky.
>
> Tom

zstreamdump is supposed to be a script wrapper around a new, more
general, command: zstream

#!/bin/sh

zstream dump "$@"

It doesn't appear to be installing itself properly, though. I'll have to
look into that.

-Ryan

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/365057