Which platform should I download for FreeBSD?

Which platform should I download for FreeBSD?

freebsd-arch mailing list
I hope you help me,

I own a iMac 64, and do not know if I should download amd64 or arm64 platforms to support FreeBSD.  I would appreciate an answer to my question ASAP, in that I currently learning Solaris 10 and other versions of BSD software.  I would like to include FreeBSD in my studies.

Sincerely and Thank you,

Jason H Lindsey
Two Owls Working Associates

Re: Which platform should I download for FreeBSD?

Miroslav Lachman
Jason Lindsey via freebsd-arch wrote on 2018/09/09 01:53:
> I hope you help me,
>
> I own a iMac 64, and do not know if I should download amd64 or arm64 platforms to support FreeBSD.  I would appreciate an answer to my question ASAP, in that I currently learning Solaris 10 and other versions of BSD software.  I would like to include FreeBSD in my studies.

I don't own any Apple products but AFAIK all modern Apple computers are
using Intel x86 CPUs. If this is true for your model then you need to
download amd64 version of FreeBSD system.

Miroslav Lachman

Re: Which platform should I download for FreeBSD?

Matthew Seaman-5
On 09/09/2018 14:20, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Jason Lindsey via freebsd-arch wrote on 2018/09/09 01:53:
>> I hope you help me,
>>
>> I own a iMac 64, and do not know if I should download amd64 or arm64
>> platforms to support FreeBSD.  I would appreciate an answer to my
>> question ASAP, in that I currently learning Solaris 10 and other
>> versions of BSD software.  I would like to include FreeBSD in my studies.

Solaris 10 is SysV, not BSD.  You have to go all the way back to SunOS
4.x for the last BSD variant from Sun.  A pedantic distinction I know,
but it's what some of us live for.

> I don't own any Apple products but AFAIK all modern Apple computers are
> using Intel x86 CPUs. If this is true for your model then you need to
> download amd64 version of FreeBSD system.

According to Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge....) the iMac G3, G4
or G5 systems were based on PowerPC processors --

 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G3
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G4
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G5

However those were discontinued in 2006 in favour of the Intel based iMac

 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)

So, unless the OP has a rather elderly machine, amd64 is the
architecture you need.  There did use to be some PPC support in FreeBSD,
but it never was a Tier-1 architecture, and I think it's basically
unsupported if not gone entirely on up-to-date versions of the OS.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

Re: Which platform should I download for FreeBSD?

Stefan Esser-3
Am 09.09.18 um 18:13 schrieb Matthew Seaman:

> On 09/09/2018 14:20, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> Jason Lindsey via freebsd-arch wrote on 2018/09/09 01:53:
>>> I hope you help me,
>>>
>>> I own a iMac 64, and do not know if I should download amd64 or arm64
>>> platforms to support FreeBSD.  I would appreciate an answer to my
>>> question ASAP, in that I currently learning Solaris 10 and other
>>> versions of BSD software.  I would like to include FreeBSD in my studies.
>
> Solaris 10 is SysV, not BSD.  You have to go all the way back to SunOS
> 4.x for the last BSD variant from Sun.  A pedantic distinction I know,
> but it's what some of us live for.
To be really pedantic: The USL vs. BSDI lawsuit found, that Sys V.4
(or Solaris 5) contained more BSD than SysV code, and that the only
change was the removal of the BSD copyright text (which actually was
the only change *not* allowed by the copyrighgt clauses ...).

> So, unless the OP has a rather elderly machine, amd64 is the
> architecture you need.  There did use to be some PPC support in FreeBSD,
> but it never was a Tier-1 architecture, and I think it's basically
> unsupported if not gone entirely on up-to-date versions of the OS.

Yes, it's definitely amd64, but PPC support is being worked on and
alive as a tier-2 platform with support for both the 32 and 64 bit
variants:

        https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc

Regards, STefan

Re: Which platform should I download for FreeBSD?

Justin Hibbits-2
On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 11:14 AM Matthew Seaman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/09/2018 14:20, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> > Jason Lindsey via freebsd-arch wrote on 2018/09/09 01:53:
> >> I hope you help me,
> >>
> >> I own a iMac 64, and do not know if I should download amd64 or arm64
> >> platforms to support FreeBSD.  I would appreciate an answer to my
> >> question ASAP, in that I currently learning Solaris 10 and other
> >> versions of BSD software.  I would like to include FreeBSD in my studies.
>
> Solaris 10 is SysV, not BSD.  You have to go all the way back to SunOS
> 4.x for the last BSD variant from Sun.  A pedantic distinction I know,
> but it's what some of us live for.
>
> > I don't own any Apple products but AFAIK all modern Apple computers are
> > using Intel x86 CPUs. If this is true for your model then you need to
> > download amd64 version of FreeBSD system.
>
> According to Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge....) the iMac G3, G4
> or G5 systems were based on PowerPC processors --
>
>  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G3
>  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G4
>  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G5
>
> However those were discontinued in 2006 in favour of the Intel based iMac
>
>  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)
>
> So, unless the OP has a rather elderly machine, amd64 is the
> architecture you need.  There did use to be some PPC support in FreeBSD,
> but it never was a Tier-1 architecture, and I think it's basically
> unsupported if not gone entirely on up-to-date versions of the OS.

PowerPC is well supported, and even has two new quite active
developers.  It runs on older Apple hardware, IBM POWER* server
hardware, and embedded Freescale Book-E hardware.  I myself have all
three variants: multiple PowerMacs and PowerBooks, 3 Book-E systems
(including two desktop systems), and a Talos POWER9 system, all
running FreeBSD.

There is a strong effort underway to have official PowerPC packages
built as well.  So it's far from being unsupported.

- Justin