Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Christoph Kukulies-3
I’m in need to compile gnu-binutils (actually an older vintage version) and I’m wondering what would be required to add
in ports/packages?

FreeBSD-12.1 ist the system.


Christoph


smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

dpmcintyre
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 06:45:30PM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I’m in need to compile gnu-binutils (actually an older vintage version) and I’m wondering what would be required to add
> in ports/packages?
>
> FreeBSD-12.1 ist the system.

It is already there?

devel/binutils

https://www.freshports.org/devel/binutils/



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Christoph Kukulies-3
Thanks. I gave up resp. I abandoned. It is too difficult (to me at least) to figure out, how
to configure binutils to build  gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2 <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2> (md5 <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2/+md5>)
from it.
   

Christoph


> Am 15.10.2020 um 23:47 schrieb Doug McIntyre <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 06:45:30PM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>> I’m in need to compile gnu-binutils (actually an older vintage version) and I’m wondering what would be required to add
>> in ports/packages?
>>
>> FreeBSD-12.1 ist the system.
>
> It is already there?
>
> devel/binutils
>
> https://www.freshports.org/devel/binutils/
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"


smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Tomasz CEDRO
another way is to use old os and distribution that has it in the binary
packages and run it in the vm just for that particular case you need :-)

there may be a linux image within a docker for rapid deployment with that
tools that you need people are using this method for CI and builds on a
strange / old configurations with one click.

if you want to use it on FreeBSD then you may want to create a dedicated
port to make compile easy and maybe even provide a binary package of the
outdated software.

sometimes its the only way and it (usually) works :-)

--
CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Lowell Gilbert
In reply to this post by Christoph Kukulies-3
Christoph Kukulies <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks. I gave up resp. I abandoned. It is too difficult (to me at least) to figure out, how
> to configure binutils to build
> gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2
> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2>
> (md5
> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2/+md5>)
> from it.

Do you need that specific version?

If not, the devel/binutils port with the arm-none-eabi flavor will build
it for you. I can't find the user documentation for using flavors at the
moment, but
 # make -C /usr/ports/devel/binutils FLAVOR=arm_none_eabi install
should do it, or the equivalent for your build system (e.g.
 # portmaster devel/binutils@arm_none_eabi
will also work).

If you do need the specific version, then the (some would say optional)
first step is to badmouth the person forcing you to use a specific old
version. After you've done that, you can either change the port or build
it by hand. Both are fairly simple: the first involves changing the
tarfile name in the Makefile and distinfo, while the second involves
unpacking the tarball and following the README instructions, which will
generally lead you to a 2-line command invocation.

Good luck.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Christoph Kukulies-3


> Am 16.10.2020 um 22:11 schrieb Lowell Gilbert <[hidden email]>:
>
> Christoph Kukulies <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Thanks. I gave up resp. I abandoned. It is too difficult (to me at least) to figure out, how
>> to configure binutils to build
>> gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2
>> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2>
>> (md5
>> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2/+md5>)
>> from it.
>
> Do you need that specific version?
>
Yes. Reason: I „inherited“ a project from someone, who passed away and it is to me to continue the project. He had developed everything under that specific
version of the gnu-arm toolchain. I moved everything to Unix and to be sure that my build environment will produce the exact same results - which isn’t the
case at the moment (some instructions are assembled differently) - I’m in need of the exact version.

> If not, the devel/binutils port with the arm-none-eabi flavor will build
> it for you. I can't find the user documentation for using flavors at the
> moment, but
> # make -C /usr/ports/devel/binutils FLAVOR=arm_none_eabi install
> should do it, or the equivalent for your build system (e.g.
> # portmaster devel/binutils@arm_none_eabi
> will also work).
>
> If you do need the specific version, then the (some would say optional)
> first step is to badmouth the person forcing you to use a specific old
:) difficult. I could stand at his grave. May God bless him.

> version. After you've done that, you can either change the port or build
> it by hand. Both are fairly simple: the first involves changing the
> tarfile name in the Makefile and distinfo, while the second involves
> unpacking the tarball and following the README instructions, which will
> generally lead you to a 2-line command invocation.

This gives me a little hope.


>
> Good luck.
> _

Thanks.


Christoph


smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Lowell Gilbert
Christoph Kukulies <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Am 16.10.2020 um 22:11 schrieb Lowell Gilbert <[hidden email]>:
>> Do you need that specific version?
>>
>
> Yes. Reason: I „inherited“ a project from someone, who passed away and
> it is to me to continue the project. He had developed everything under
> that specific
> version of the gnu-arm toolchain. I moved everything to Unix and to be
> sure that my build environment will produce the exact same results -
> which isn’t the
> case at the moment (some instructions are assembled differently) - I’m in need of the exact version.

But not necessarily permanently; only until you can verify that another
version gives you good results. [Where "good" is for you to define based
on the project's criteria.]

>> If not, the devel/binutils port with the arm-none-eabi flavor will build
>> it for you. I can't find the user documentation for using flavors at the
>> moment, but
>> # make -C /usr/ports/devel/binutils FLAVOR=arm_none_eabi install
>> should do it, or the equivalent for your build system (e.g.
>> # portmaster devel/binutils@arm_none_eabi
>> will also work).
>>
>> If you do need the specific version, then the (some would say optional)
>> first step is to badmouth the person forcing you to use a specific old
>
> :) difficult. I could stand at his grave. May God bless him.

Yeah, sounds inappropriate for this case. My sympathies to his memory.

If he were around, I'm sure you wouldn't have the problem at all.

>> version. After you've done that, you can either change the port or build
>> it by hand. Both are fairly simple: the first involves changing the
>> tarfile name in the Makefile and distinfo, while the second involves
>> unpacking the tarball and following the README instructions, which will
>> generally lead you to a 2-line command invocation.
>
> This gives me a little hope.

I suspect that doing everything out-of-tree until you've verified your
changes is probably the way to go. I typically do this in my own home
directory until I'm ready to package it up for production, but that's
somewhat a matter of personal style.

The tarball you quoted has a lot more than just binutils in it; the
binutils tarball is included, but lots of other things are also. The
instructions in the top directory of it seem to cover everything,
including scripts to build it. They'll all need to be adapted slightly
(for example, they assume that the base system's /bin/sh is bash, or can
be made so), but there's a full set of build scripts included for
Ubuntu, so it's a nice start.

I'd go a little further in terms of helping, but some of the details
depend on exactly what your "real" project is like and why you can't
actually use other versions.

Be well.
        Lowell
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Christoph Kukulies-3

> Am 18.10.2020 um 00:34 schrieb Lowell Gilbert <[hidden email]>:
>
> Christoph Kukulies <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> Am 16.10.2020 um 22:11 schrieb Lowell Gilbert <[hidden email]>:
>>> Do you need that specific version?
>>>
>>
>> Yes. Reason: I „inherited“ a project from someone, who passed away and
>> it is to me to continue the project. He had developed everything under
>> that specific
>> version of the gnu-arm toolchain. I moved everything to Unix and to be
>> sure that my build environment will produce the exact same results -
>> which isn’t the
>> case at the moment (some instructions are assembled differently) - I’m in need of the exact version.
>
> But not necessarily permanently; only until you can verify that another
> version gives you good results. [Where "good" is for you to define based
> on the project's criteria.]
>
Yes, in principle you’re right. But in the first place I wanted to be sure to produce the exact binary
results compared to the Windows platform. I could prove it now with the macOS version of the cited link.
 
Later, when I’ll have full control over the process it might be not so relevant to produce this binary identity.

Thanks for your explanations.


Christoph


smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment