Which should be used, devel/evdev-proto or /usr/include/dev/evdev?

Which should be used, devel/evdev-proto or /usr/include/dev/evdev?

Ting-Wei Lan
I found evdev-proto, which includes linux/input.h, was added a few
months ago. It seems that many ports has been gradually switched to use
it after it was added. However, I also remember there was a patch in
ports to modify GTK3 to use dev/evdev/input.h from base instead of
linux/input.h from ports. I wonder which one should be preferred now.

The GTK3 patch mentioned above was added about a year ago:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/465644

After seeing the patch in ports, I submitted it to GTK upstream:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/132
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/133

Since software supporting Wayland are likely to require linux/input.h,
is there a policy on dealing with the dependency on linux/input.h? It
seems to me that evdev-proto was added specifically to address the
issue, so I guess we should just install evdev-proto, stop patching
linux/input.h to dev/evdev/input.h, stop submitting this kind of patch
to upstream projects and tell upstream it is fine to use linux/input.h
on FreeBSD. Is it correct?

Re: Which should be used, devel/evdev-proto or /usr/include/dev/evdev?

Vladimir Kondratyev-3
On 2019-03-19 19:53, 藍挺瑋 wrote:
> I found evdev-proto, which includes linux/input.h, was added a few
> months ago. It seems that many ports has been gradually switched to use
> it after it was added.
Really, all these ports always had indirect dependency on linux/input.h
via
RUN_DEPENDS=multimedia/vl4_compat in libevdev or webcamd Makefile.

> However, I also remember there was a patch in
> ports to modify GTK3 to use dev/evdev/input.h from base instead of
> linux/input.h from ports. I wonder which one should be preferred now.
>
> The GTK3 patch mentioned above was added about a year ago:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/465644
>
> After seeing the patch in ports, I submitted it to GTK upstream:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/132
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/133
>
> Since software supporting Wayland are likely to require linux/input.h,
> is there a policy on dealing with the dependency on linux/input.h?
We are trying to mimic Linux evdev API closely, so leave linux/input.h
#includes in-place if code is intended to be compiled on Linux too,
otherwise use dev/evdev/input.h if it is FreeBSD-only.

> It seems to me that evdev-proto was added specifically to address the
> issue, so I guess we should just install evdev-proto, stop patching
> linux/input.h to dev/evdev/input.h, stop submitting this kind of patch
> to upstream projects and tell upstream it is fine to use linux/input.h
> on FreeBSD. Is it correct?
Yes it is correct. I think, once evdev API becomes stable enough, we
could
create /usr/include/compat/linux/ directory filled with symlinks to
dev/evdev files and nuke evdev-proto port.

WBR
Vladimir Kondratyev

Re: Which should be used, devel/evdev-proto or /usr/include/dev/evdev?

Niclas Zeising-5
On 3/19/19 11:34 PM, Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:
> On 2019-03-19 19:53, 藍挺瑋 wrote:
>> I found evdev-proto, which includes linux/input.h, was added a few
>> months ago. It seems that many ports has been gradually switched to use
>> it after it was added.
> Really, all these ports always had indirect dependency on linux/input.h via
> RUN_DEPENDS=multimedia/vl4_compat in libevdev or webcamd Makefile.

Just a quick note, evdev-proto was split off from v4l_compat, so ports
that previously used v4l_compat for linux/input.h should use evdev-proto
instead.

Regards
--
Niclas

Re: Which should be used, devel/evdev-proto or /usr/include/dev/evdev?

Ting-Wei Lan
Vladimir Kondratyev 於 2019/3/20 上午6:34 寫道:

> On 2019-03-19 19:53, 藍挺瑋 wrote:
>> I found evdev-proto, which includes linux/input.h, was added a few
>> months ago. It seems that many ports has been gradually switched to use
>> it after it was added.
> Really, all these ports always had indirect dependency on linux/input.h via
> RUN_DEPENDS=multimedia/vl4_compat in libevdev or webcamd Makefile.
>
>> However, I also remember there was a patch in
>> ports to modify GTK3 to use dev/evdev/input.h from base instead of
>> linux/input.h from ports. I wonder which one should be preferred now.
>>
>> The GTK3 patch mentioned above was added about a year ago:
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/465644
>>
>> After seeing the patch in ports, I submitted it to GTK upstream:
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/132
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/merge_requests/133
>>
>> Since software supporting Wayland are likely to require linux/input.h,
>> is there a policy on dealing with the dependency on linux/input.h?
> We are trying to mimic Linux evdev API closely, so leave linux/input.h
> #includes in-place if code is intended to be compiled on Linux too,
> otherwise use dev/evdev/input.h if it is FreeBSD-only.

Thanks for your reply. I will leave them using linux/input.h because
they were found during building GNOME and its dependencies.

>> It seems to me that evdev-proto was added specifically to address the
>> issue, so I guess we should just install evdev-proto, stop patching
>> linux/input.h to dev/evdev/input.h, stop submitting this kind of patch
>> to upstream projects and tell upstream it is fine to use linux/input.h
>> on FreeBSD. Is it correct?
> Yes it is correct. I think, once evdev API becomes stable enough, we could
> create /usr/include/compat/linux/ directory filled with symlinks to
> dev/evdev files and nuke evdev-proto port.

OK, so both dev/evdev/input.h and linux/input.h will be kept and it is
fine to use either one.