Why device sk (PCI Gigabit Ethernet) cannot use polling?

Why device sk (PCI Gigabit Ethernet) cannot use polling?

Rob-34

Hi,

The sk device has no polling support,
neither in 5 nor in 6.
Is there a particular reason (maybe
because it's a Gigabit device) ?

Or is polling not supported because it
simply has not yet been coded? If so, would
it be straightforward to add the code?

Thanks,
Rob.

Re: Why device sk (PCI Gigabit Ethernet) cannot use polling?

Xin LI-5
On 11/18/05, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The sk device has no polling support,
> neither in 5 nor in 6.
> Is there a particular reason (maybe
> because it's a Gigabit device) ?
>
> Or is polling not supported because it
> simply has not yet been coded? If so, would
> it be straightforward to add the code?
That would not be very hard if you own some hardware, so if you have
the hardware, give it a try! :-)

BTW.  Since glebius@ has some recent work on polling(4), you may want
to ask him for some in-depth advises.

Xin LI <[hidden email]> http://www.delphij.net

Xin LI wrote:

> On 11/18/05, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>The sk device has no polling support,
>>neither in 5 nor in 6.
>>Is there a particular reason (maybe
>>because it's a Gigabit device) ?
>>
>>Or is polling not supported because it
>>simply has not yet been coded? If so, would
>>it be straightforward to add the code?
>

> That would not be very hard if you own some
hardware,
> so if you have the hardware, give it a try! :-)

I do have the hardware: an sk integrated on the
motherboard, but this is on a production server.

Also, I don't know anything about coding the
polling stuff; I use it on other PCs (rl, xl)
and was wondering why not with sk.

If I have a piece of code that is 99.9 % sure
to work, then in that case I could try it out on
the production server in a test over the weekend.

> BTW.  Since glebius@ has some recent work on
> polling(4), you may want to ask him for some
> in-depth advises.

Who is glebius?

Rob.

Re[2]: Why device sk (PCI Gigabit Ethernet) cannot use polling?

Hendry Sarumpaet
Hello Rob,

> Xin LI wrote:
>> On 11/18/05, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>The sk device has no polling support,
>>>neither in 5 nor in 6.
>>>Is there a particular reason (maybe
>>>because it's a Gigabit device) ?
>>>
>>>Or is polling not supported because it
>>>simply has not yet been coded? If so, would
>>>it be straightforward to add the code?
>>

>> That would not be very hard if you own some
> hardware,
>> so if you have the hardware, give it a try! :-)

> I do have the hardware: an sk integrated on the
> motherboard, but this is on a production server.

> Also, I don't know anything about coding the
> polling stuff; I use it on other PCs (rl, xl)
> and was wondering why not with sk.

> If I have a piece of code that is 99.9 % sure
> to work, then in that case I could try it out on
> the production server in a test over the weekend.

  well if you want to make it work then feel free to ask any
  developer who willing spent their time to write the code and it will
  be great if you can donate the hardware also.
  i think ru@ and glebius@ is the guy who currently proactive develope
  the polling(4) code.
  the recent work for polling was additional support to bge(4) which
  have been merged to RELENG_6 (work done by glebius), we've been used it on our production
  router seems pretty robust.

>> BTW.  Since glebius@ has some recent work on
>> polling(4), you may want to ask him for some
>> in-depth advises.

> Who is glebius?

  finger [hidden email]
  honestly he is my FreeBSD network hero :)
  netgragph improvement , carp stuff , recent em(4) fix , new design of polling code and many
  more. thanks a lot gleb !

--
cheers,
hsa