Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Alex Libman
My Fellow BSD Users & Advocates:

In light of the recent violent faculty-supported anti-free-speech riots at UC Berkeley, the archaic namesake of BSD Unix, I would like to once again revisit the question that I've posed in a less serious tone six years ago:

WHAT *SHOULD* THE B IN BSD STAND FOR?

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-advocacy&m=129750891811408&w=2

The history of the BSD Unix ecosystem, stretching from the late 1960s to the present day, involves contributions from many different universities, companies, non-profit organizations, and individuals from all over the world.  Why should just one (particularly controversial and divisive) university get perpetual free advertising for all eternity at the expense of every other individual and institution?

I propose that the name BSD should be thought of as a recursive acronym (like GNU) for "BSD Software Distribution".  The B in BSD could also stand for Beastie, Bell Labs (to which it has a more forthright connection than Linux), etc, etc, etc...

This need not be a formal decision by any BSD variant's foundation, BDFL, etc - just a preference of some members of the BSD community.

Long live the BSD Software Distribution!

Peace out.

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Geoff White
Alex,
This is BS. The violence was created by Black Bloc, UC had nothing to do
with it. The talk was canceled because the entire situation was unsafe.

I'd you have any questions or would like clarification please reach out.

Sent from my Nexus 6. Big Sister is indexing you.

On Feb 3, 2017 1:10 PM, "Joe Nosay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

BSD
 Best Software Distribution
Brightest Sunshiny Day

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Alex Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Fellow BSD Users & Advocates:
>
> In light of the recent violent faculty-supported anti-free-speech riots at
> UC Berkeley, the archaic namesake of BSD Unix, I would like to once again
> revisit the question that I've posed in a less serious tone six years ago:
>
> WHAT *SHOULD* THE B IN BSD STAND FOR?
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-advocacy&m=129750891811408&w=2
>
> The history of the BSD Unix ecosystem, stretching from the late 1960s to
> the present day, involves contributions from many different universities,
> companies, non-profit organizations, and individuals from all over the
> world.  Why should just one (particularly controversial and divisive)
> university get perpetual free advertising for all eternity at the expense
> of every other individual and institution?
>
> I propose that the name BSD should be thought of as a recursive acronym
> (like GNU) for "BSD Software Distribution".  The B in BSD could also stand
> for Beastie, Bell Labs (to which it has a more forthright connection than
> Linux), etc, etc, etc...
>
> This need not be a formal decision by any BSD variant's foundation, BDFL,
> etc - just a preference of some members of the BSD community.
>
> Long live the BSD Software Distribution!
>
> Peace out.

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Alex Libman

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Rebecca Page
The B in BSD should and always stand for Berkeley.  Political and social ideas do not affect historical software naming conventions.

Sent from my iPhone
Rebecca L. Page

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Alex Libman

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Stephen Cook
On 2017-02-03 15:51, Alex Libman wrote:
> WHAT *SHOULD* THE B IN BSD STAND FOR?
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-advocacy&m=129750891811408&w=2

I vote for Batman Software Distribution!

-- Stephen