Windows 2019 server

freebsd-virtualization mailing list
Anyone got Windows 2019 server running in bhyve ?

https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Do not consider painful what is good for you.  -Euripides

Re: Windows 2019 server

On 16.02.19 13:38, The Doctor via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> Anyone got Windows 2019 server running in bhyve ?

Yes, on stable/12 (r343339) using
https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/wiki/Running-Window. Worked like a
charm.

Florian

Re: Windows 2019 server

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 08:31:58AM +0100, Florian Smeets wrote:
> On 16.02.19 13:38, The Doctor via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> > Anyone got Windows 2019 server running in bhyve ?
> >

> Yes, on stable/12 (r343339) using
> https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/wiki/Running-Window. Worked like a
> charm.

I am on FreeBSD 11.2 FYI

> Florian

https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Do not consider painful what is good for you.  -Euripides

Re: Windows 2019 server

Jason Tubnor
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 23:35, The Doctor via freebsd-virtualization <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 08:31:58AM +0100, Florian Smeets wrote:
> > On 16.02.19 13:38, The Doctor via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> > > Anyone got Windows 2019 server running in bhyve ?
> > >

> > Yes, on stable/12 (r343339) using
> > https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/wiki/Running-Window. Worked like a
> > charm.
> >

> I am on FreeBSD 11.2 FYI

Yes, on 11.2 using ahci-hd storage presentation to the installer and UEFI
boot.

Re: Windows 2019 server

Victor Sudakov-3
Florian Smeets via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> On 16.02.19 13:38, The Doctor via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> > Anyone got Windows 2019 server running in bhyve ?
> >

> Yes, on stable/12 (r343339) using
> https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/wiki/Running-Window. Worked like a
> charm.

Which kind of storage did you present to the Windows 2019 guest,
paravirtualized or ahcd-hd ?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: Windows 2019 server

On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 04:48:29PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Florian Smeets via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> > On 16.02.19 13:38, The Doctor via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> > > Anyone got Windows 2019 server running in bhyve ?
> > >

> > Yes, on stable/12 (r343339) using
> > https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/wiki/Running-Window. Worked like a
> > charm.
>
> Which kind of storage did you present to the Windows 2019 guest,
> paravirtualized or ahcd-hd ?

I was able to install in bhyve FreeBSD 11.2 hoever, the ethernet Driver
is not picking up.

hints please.

https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Be charitable before wealth makes thee covetous.  -Sir Thomas Browne

Re: Windows 2019 server

Jason Tubnor-2
On Sat., 2 Mar. 2019, 8:48 pm Victor S

Which kind of storage did you present to the Windows 2019 guest,
paravirtualized or ahcd-hd ?

ahci-hd is what you want with bhyve and uefi

Cheers

Re: Windows 2019 server

Jason Tubnor-2
On Sun., 3 Mar. 2019, 12:06 pm The Doctor via freebsd-virtualization, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was able to install in bhyve FreeBSD 11.2 hoever, the ethernet Driver
> is not picking up.
>
> hints please.

Once you are installed, boot again with the virtio cd on an ahci-cd device,
go to devices and you'll see the unknown adaptor, update the driver using
the virtio-net ones on the CD. You should be good after that. 2k16 drivers
work with 19.

Cheers

Re: Windows 2019 server

Victor Sudakov-3
Jason Tubnor wrote:

> > Which kind of storage did you present to the Windows 2019 guest,
> > paravirtualized or ahcd-hd ?
>
> ahci-hd is what you want with bhyve and uefi

Still no paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests, even in
FreeBSD 12? How sad.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: Windows 2019 server

Nick Wolff-2
There is paravirtulized support in FreeBSD 11.2 and 12 but you need to
sideload the virtio drivers into windows. Sadly microsoft doesn't ship with
them even with how "cloud" focused they are. Ahci-hd will allow you to get
around this. I know we had some restrictions in the past on needing
specific virt-io drivers for windows I'm not sure if that is fixed now. I
think nvme paravirtual might also just work with windows but haven't
confirmed that lately.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 8:19 AM Victor Sudakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jason Tubnor wrote:
> >
> > > Which kind of storage did you present to the Windows 2019 guest,
> > > paravirtualized or ahcd-hd ?
> >
> > ahci-hd is what you want with bhyve and uefi
>
> Still no paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests, even in
> FreeBSD 12? How sad.
>
> --
> Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
> 2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: Windows 2019 server

mike-6
Hi,
I just tried on FreeBSD12 and Windows10, bhyve crashes when loading the virtstor driver.

Am 2. April 2019 16:56:13 MESZ schrieb Nick Wolff <[hidden email]>:

>There is paravirtulized support in FreeBSD 11.2 and 12 but you need to
>sideload the virtio drivers into windows. Sadly microsoft doesn't ship
>with
>them even with how "cloud" focused they are. Ahci-hd will allow you to
>get
>around this. I know we had some restrictions in the past on needing
>specific virt-io drivers for windows I'm not sure if that is fixed now.
>think nvme paravirtual might also just work with windows but haven't
>confirmed that lately.
>
>On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 8:19 AM Victor Sudakov <[hidden email]>
>wrote:

>> > ahci-hd is what you want with bhyve and uefi
>>
>> Still no paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests, even in
>> FreeBSD 12? How sad.
>>
>> --
>> Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
>> 2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

>"[hidden email]"

Gruß
---
Michael

Re: Windows 2019 server

Jason Barbier-2
happen to catch a stack trace for the crash?

---
Jason Barbier | E: [hidden email]
GPG: 0x40B8FA1D72EF0D89 (https://keybase.io/kusuriya)

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019, at 9:05 AM, Michael wrote:

> Hi,
> I just tried on FreeBSD12 and Windows10, bhyve crashes when loading the
> virtstor driver.
>

> Am 2. April 2019 16:56:13 MESZ schrieb Nick Wolff <[hidden email]>:
> >There is paravirtulized support in FreeBSD 11.2 and 12 but you need to
> >sideload the virtio drivers into windows. Sadly microsoft doesn't ship
> >with
> >them even with how "cloud" focused they are. Ahci-hd will allow you to
> >get
> >around this. I know we had some restrictions in the past on needing
> >specific virt-io drivers for windows I'm not sure if that is fixed now.
> >think nvme paravirtual might also just work with windows but haven't
> >confirmed that lately.
> >
> >On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 8:19 AM Victor Sudakov <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:

> >> Still no paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests, even in
> >> FreeBSD 12? How sad.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
> >> 2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

> >"[hidden email]"
>
> Gruß
> ---
> Michael

Re: Windows 2019 server

Nick Wolff-2
Micheal,

Would you mind trying with
https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.118-1/

That is the iso I've used in the past with newer drivers failing(I don't
think it caused a panic though when I dealt with it)

Thanks,

Nick Wolff

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 12:24 PM Jason Barbier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> happen to catch a stack trace for the crash?
>
> ---
> Jason Barbier | E: [hidden email]
> GPG: 0x40B8FA1D72EF0D89 (https://keybase.io/kusuriya)
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019, at 9:05 AM, Michael wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just tried on FreeBSD12 and Windows10, bhyve crashes when loading the
> > virtstor driver.
> >

> > Am 2. April 2019 16:56:13 MESZ schrieb Nick Wolff <
> [hidden email]>:
> > >There is paravirtulized support in FreeBSD 11.2 and 12 but you need to
> > >sideload the virtio drivers into windows. Sadly microsoft doesn't ship
> > >with
> > >them even with how "cloud" focused they are. Ahci-hd will allow you to
> > >get
> > >around this. I know we had some restrictions in the past on needing
> > >specific virt-io drivers for windows I'm not sure if that is fixed now.
> > >think nvme paravirtual might also just work with windows but haven't
> > >confirmed that lately.

> > >"[hidden email]"
> >
> > Gruß
> > ---
> > Michael

Re: Windows 2019 server

Jason Tubnor
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 01:56, Nick Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> specific virt-io drivers for windows I'm not sure if that is fixed now. I
> think nvme paravirtual might also just work with windows but haven't
> confirmed that lately.

Initial testing with some out of tree patches has fixed issues with NVMe
and Windows, current snaps/stable don't work with Windows and NVMe.

They should be imported shortly.

Cheers

--
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88MPH, you're gonna to
see some serious shit" - Emmett "Doc" Brown

Re: Windows 2019 server

Michael Reifenberger

Zitat von Nick Wolff <[hidden email]>:

> Micheal,
>
> Would you mind trying with
> https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.118-1/
>

> That is the iso I've used in the past with newer drivers failing(I don't
> think it caused a panic though when I dealt with it)

Trying to use this ISO for loading the driver during the installation
doesn't lead to a panic
but aborts the guest while the driver gets loaded:

Apr. 03 10:11:11: initialising
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [loader: uefi]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [cpu: 2]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [memory: 6G]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [hostbridge: standard]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [com ports: com1]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [uuid: a9656f03-7f7a-11e7-983e-98e7f4868540]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [utctime: yes]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [debug mode: no]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [primary disk: disk0]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [primary disk dev: zvol]
Apr. 03 10:11:11: initialising network device tap0
Apr. 03 10:11:11: adding tap0 -> bridge1 (private addm)
Apr. 03 10:11:11: bring up tap0 -> bridge1 (private addm)
Apr. 03 10:11:11: booting
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [bhyve options: -c 2 -m 6G -Hwl
bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd -U
a9656f03-7f7a-11e7-983e-98e7f4868540 -u]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [bhyve devices: -s 0,hostbridge -s 31,lpc -s
4:0,virtio-blk,/dev/zvol/zdata/VM/w10e-ltsb-2/disk0 -s
5:0,nvme,/dev/zvol/zdata/VM/w10e-ltsb-2/disk1 -s
6:0,ahci-cd,/VM2/w10e-ltsb-2/disk2.img -s
7:0,virtio-net,tap0,mac=58:9c:fc:04:eb:ed -s
8:0,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1600,h=900 -s 9:0,xhci,tablet]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [bhyve console: -l com1,/dev/nmdm-w10e-ltsb-2.1A]
Apr. 03 10:11:11:  [bhyve iso device: -s
3:0,ahci-cd,/VM/.iso/en_windows_10_enterprise_ltsc_2019_x64_dvd_be3c8ffb.iso,ro]
Apr. 03 10:11:11: starting bhyve (run 1)
Apr. 03 10:13:10: bhyve exited with status 134
Apr. 03 10:13:10: destroying network device tap0
Apr. 03 10:13:10: stopped

The relevant entries of the config file are:

cpu=2
memory=6G
network0_type="virtio-net"
network0_switch="private"
disk0_type="virtio-blk"
disk0_dev="zvol"
disk0_name="disk0"
disk1_type="nvme"
disk1_dev="zvol"
disk1_name="disk1"
disk2_type="ahci-cd"
disk2_name="disk2.img"

(disk0 is the one I'm trying to use here, disk2 is the ISO)

Greetings
---
mike

Gruß
---
Michael Reifenberger

Re: Windows 2019 server

Michael Reifenberger
do you mean:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D19695
if yes I can confirm that with the patch I get ltsc-2019 installed and
running.

Greetings
---
mike

Zitat von Jason Tubnor <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 01:56, Nick Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> specific virt-io drivers for windows I'm not sure if that is fixed now. I
>> think nvme paravirtual might also just work with windows but haven't
>> confirmed that lately.
>>

> Initial testing with some out of tree patches has fixed issues with NVMe
> and Windows, current snaps/stable don't work with Windows and NVMe.
>
> They should be imported shortly.
>
> Cheers

>> > Still no paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests, even in
>> > FreeBSD 12? How sad.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
>> > 2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

>> [hidden email]"
>>

> --
> "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88MPH, you're gonna to
> see some serious shit" - Emmett "Doc" Brown
> "[hidden email]"

Gruß
---
Michael Reifenberger

Re: Windows 2019 server

Jason Tubnor
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 19:57, Michael Reifenberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
> do you mean:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D19695
> if yes I can confirm that with the patch I get ltsc-2019 installed and
> running.

Yes, that is the patch.