Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Tom Wickline
Hello Everyone,

I have a small blog about running Wine on Unix operating systems and
over the last couple days I've been
experimenting with Wine on FreeBSD 7 beta 2 (I see beta 4 is out, many thanks!)

If anyone here is interested I ran Office 97 and 2000 out of the box
on FreeBSD 7beta no registry files
or special hacks needed. Ive also run a couple small applications
(Qicktime 7.1.6) (IE 5 5.5 6) and then some benchmarks
3DMark 2000v1.1, 3DMark2001SE, GL Excess and PC Mark04. In the future
ill see if I can get 3DMark 2003 and 3DMark 2005
to run and produce results as well.

I don't know if any of you guys or gals are Gamers.... But just in
case I also installed Halo in Wine and it runs about the same
on FreeBSD as it does on Linux. With D3D, DDraw and OpenGL working
most every game that is running in Wine should run
on FreeBSD.. I don't know this as fact as I've only tried one Game and
four Benchmarks, but it does look promising.

More info can be found here:

Wine-Review front Page:
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/

Office 97/2000:
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/microsoft-office-2000-on-freebsd-7-with.html
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/office-97-on-freebsd-with-wine.html

IE, QT etc..
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/quicktime-716-on-freebsd-7-with-wine.html
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/ies-4-freebsd-internet-explorer-50-55.html

Benchmark results & Halo:
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/benchmarking-wine-on-freebsd-7.html
http:/http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/halo-combat-evolved-on-freebsd-with.html

Oh yea, were seeking contributors... if your interested in Wine on
FreeBSD and believe you can
help us out see :
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/wine-review-is-currently-seeking.html

Thanks for your time.........

Cheers,

Tom Wickline

Re: Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Brett Glass
It's worth noting that the WINE project, not long ago, abandoned
the BSD license for the GPL despite urging from many sources to keep
the code open and free for use by developers. We've stopped using it
as a result.

--Brett Glass

On Dec 10, 2007 11:41 PM, Brett Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's worth noting that the WINE project, not long ago, abandoned
> the BSD license for the GPL despite urging from many sources to keep
> the code open and free for use by developers. We've stopped using it
> as a result.
>
> --Brett Glass

Wins is under a free licence, its LGPL and I'm almost 100% sure you
have no idea why
the licence was changed!

Tom

Re: Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Tom Evans-3
On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 23:44 -0500, Tom Wickline wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 11:41 PM, Brett Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's worth noting that the WINE project, not long ago, abandoned
> > the BSD license for the GPL despite urging from many sources to keep
> > the code open and free for use by developers. We've stopped using it
> > as a result.
> >
> > --Brett Glass
> >

> Wins is under a free licence, its LGPL and I'm almost 100% sure you
> have no idea why
> the licence was changed!
>
> Tom
Depends upon your definition of free.

Re: Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Braulio José Solano Rojas
On Mon, 10 de Diciembre de 2007, 10:41 pm, Brett Glass wrote:
> It's worth noting that the WINE project, not long ago, abandoned
> the BSD license for the GPL despite urging from many sources to keep
> the code open and free for use by developers. We've stopped using it
> as a result.

You can find the story of what happened in the Wikipedia.  There is still
this:  http://www.cedega.com/rewind/, if you like better the X11 license.
You still have *freedom* of choice.

Regardless of the current license of Wine they have merit for what they
have done.  Any open source developer regardless of his "Creed" has merit
in fact.

;-)

> At 10:59 AM 12/6/2007, Tom Wickline wrote:
>
>>Oh yea, were seeking contributors... if your interested in Wine on
>>FreeBSD and believe you can
>>help us out see :
>>http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/wine-review-is-currently-seeking.html

Re: Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Chuck Robey
Tom Wickline wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 11:41 PM, Brett Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's worth noting that the WINE project, not long ago, abandoned
>> the BSD license for the GPL despite urging from many sources to keep
>> the code open and free for use by developers. We've stopped using it
>> as a result.
>>
>> --Brett Glass
>>

> Wins is under a free licence, its LGPL and I'm almost 100% sure you
> have no idea why
> the licence was changed!

Anyone who has sat in on company conferences discussing what changes
would be forced because of GPL or LPGL knows that only the BSD is free,
not thje GPL.  LRPL is closer, but the folks who call GPL free are
either lying or ignorant.  They want to force you to do things their
way, but they don't want you to be able to call that coercion.