[arm64][bhyve] Hypervisor implementation proposal

[arm64][bhyve] Hypervisor implementation proposal

Andrei Martin
Hello,

The UPB team made a revision for the bhyve on arm/arm64 on phabricator[1].

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976 <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976>

Thanks,
Andrei

Re: [arm64][bhyve] Hypervisor implementation proposal

Peter Grehan
Hi Andrei,

> The UPB team made a revision for the bhyve on arm/arm64 on phabricator[1].
>
> Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> [1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976 <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976>

  Thanks for putting up the review: that is a sizeable amount of work.

  I'd suggest removing 32-bit host support from the review to reduce the
size. Note that Linux/KVM has dropped 32-bit host support (see the
thread at
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/kvm/cover/20200210141324.21090-1-maz@.../),
and the same reasons would apply to FreeBSD.
    If there is interest it could be resurrected at a later time.

  The MI/MD split could be done independently of this. It has been
talked about for a long while, so I'll commit to doing this in the
existing amd64 codebase. The ARM work could then be rebased into that.

  Also, any host platform support, such as the ARM simulator or
EspressoBin, could be split out since it's independent of the hypervisor
portion.

later,

Peter.

Re: [arm64][bhyve] Hypervisor implementation proposal

Andrei Martin
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

I have updated the revision by removing the armv7 support and host platform
support.

Andrei

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:37 AM Peter Grehan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrei,
>
> > The UPB team made a revision for the bhyve on arm/arm64 on
> phabricator[1].
> >
> > Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > [1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976 <
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26976>
>
>   Thanks for putting up the review: that is a sizeable amount of work.
>
>   I'd suggest removing 32-bit host support from the review to reduce the
> size. Note that Linux/KVM has dropped 32-bit host support (see the
> thread at
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/kvm/cover/20200210141324.21090-1-maz@.../),
>
> and the same reasons would apply to FreeBSD.
>     If there is interest it could be resurrected at a later time.
>
>   The MI/MD split could be done independently of this. It has been
> talked about for a long while, so I'll commit to doing this in the
> existing amd64 codebase. The ARM work could then be rebased into that.
>
>   Also, any host platform support, such as the ARM simulator or
> EspressoBin, could be split out since it's independent of the hypervisor
> portion.
>
> later,
>
> Peter.

Re: [arm64][bhyve] Hypervisor implementation proposal

Peter Grehan
Hi Andrei,
> I have updated the revision by removing the armv7 support and host
> platform support.

  Thanks for the update: that's going to make the review a lot easier.

later,

Peter.