beaglebone

Damjan Marion-2

I put together guide how to build bootable SD card with FreeBSD on beaglebone.

http://people.freebsd.org/~dmarion/beaglebone/creating_bootable_sd_card/

It is still work in progress, so ethernet driver is not complete and USB support is missing.

Will be happy to hear any feedback.

Damjan

Fwd: beaglebone

Yanhui Shen-2

Re: beaglebone

Alex T.
Just a quick question. What compiler do you use? When I start the kernel
compilation the gcc from my base system is used, which is gcc 4.2.1, and it
complains about armv6 target cpu:

`-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mlittle-endian"
sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -march= switch
sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -mtune= switch

Do you override CC by any chance?
Thanks.

On 17 April 2012 14:25, Damjan Marion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I put together guide how to build bootable SD card with FreeBSD on
> beaglebone.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmarion/beaglebone/creating_bootable_sd_card/
>
> It is still work in progress, so ethernet driver is not complete and USB
> support is missing.
>
> Will be happy to hear any feedback.
>
> Damjan

Re: beaglebone

Oleksandr Tymoshenko-4
On 17/04/2012 11:00 AM, Alex T. wrote:

> Just a quick question. What compiler do you use? When I start the kernel
> compilation the gcc from my base system is used, which is gcc 4.2.1, and it
> complains about armv6 target cpu:
>
> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mlittle-endian"
> sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -march= switch
> sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -mtune= switch
>
> Do you override CC by any chance?

It's stock toolchain from projects/armv6 tree. You just need
to build it first.

Run

make TARGET_ARCH=arm TARGET_CPUTYPE=armv6 kernel-toolchain

before making buildkernel.

Re: beaglebone

Alex T.
Yes you are right, I missed this step. Now that I ran it I have the
toolchain built. But unfortunately, I get the same issue. I don't know if
this matters, but

1) I'm not building under /usr/src. I have the source code checked out to a
different location.
2) I defined MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX, KERNSRCDIR, and ROOT.

On 17 April 2012 18:08, Oleksandr Tymoshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/04/2012 11:00 AM, Alex T. wrote:
>
>> Just a quick question. What compiler do you use? When I start the kernel
>> compilation the gcc from my base system is used, which is gcc 4.2.1, and
>> it
>> complains about armv6 target cpu:
>>
>> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
>> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mlittle-endian"
>> sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -march= switch
>> sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -mtune= switch
>>
>> Do you override CC by any chance?
>>

> It's stock toolchain from projects/armv6 tree. You just need
> to build it first.
>
> Run
>
> make TARGET_ARCH=arm TARGET_CPUTYPE=armv6 kernel-toolchain
>
> before making buildkernel.

Re: beaglebone

Oleksandr Tymoshenko-4
On 17/04/2012 11:57 AM, Alex T. wrote:
> Yes you are right, I missed this step. Now that I ran it I have the
> toolchain built. But unfortunately, I get the same issue. I don't know
> if this matters, but
>
> 1) I'm not building under /usr/src. I have the source code checked out
> to a different location.
> 2) I defined MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX, KERNSRCDIR, and ROOT.

Try removing TARGET_CPUTYPE=armv6 from amke arguments. Should do the
trick.

Re: beaglebone

Mark Tinguely-2
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Alex T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick question. What compiler do you use? When I start the kernel
> compilation the gcc from my base system is used, which is gcc 4.2.1, and it
> complains about armv6 target cpu:
>
> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mlittle-endian"
> sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -march= switch
> sys/arm/arm/genassym.c:1: error: bad value (armv6) for -mtune= switch
>
> Do you override CC by any chance?
> Thanks.
>

> On 17 April 2012 14:25, Damjan Marion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I put together guide how to build bootable SD card with FreeBSD on
>> beaglebone.
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmarion/beaglebone/creating_bootable_sd_card/
>>
>> It is still work in progress, so ethernet driver is not complete and USB
>> support is missing.
>>
>> Will be happy to hear any feedback.
>>
>> Damjan

This should be somewhere in the FreeBSD ARM pages:

First, create the following directories into the destination directory :
mkdir -p usr/bin
mdkir -p usr/lib
mkdir -p usr/include
mkdir -p usr/share/man/man1
mkdir -p usr/share/info
mkdir -p usr/libdata/ldscripts
mkdir -p usr/libexec

go in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc, and do :

make TARGET_ARCH=arm TOOLS_PREFIX=/usr/cross clean depend all
make TARGET_ARCH=arm TOOLS_PREFIX=/usr/cross DESTDIR=/usr/cross install

Then go in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils, and do :

make TARGET_ARCH=arm TOOLS_PREFIX=/usr/cross clean depend all
make TARGET_ARCH=arm TOOLS_PREFIX=/usr/cross DESTDIR=/usr/cross install

You should get what is needed to cross-compile a kernel.
You need to set the following environment varibles for cross-compiling :

export CC=/usr/cross/usr/bin/gcc
export AS=/usr/cross/usr/bin/as
export NM=/usr/cross/usr/bin/nm
export RANLIB=/usr/cross/usr/bin/ranlib
export LD=/usr/cross/usr/bin/ld
export OBJCOPY=/usr/cross/usr/bin/objcopy
export SIZE=/usr/cross/usr/bin/size
export MACHINE=arm
export MACHINE_ARCH=arm

 I add:

export PATH=/usr/cross/usr/bin:$PATH:

If you are doing a buildworld, do not use a cross compiler and only specify:

make TARGET_ARCH=arm buildworld
make TARGET_ARCH=arm DESTDIR=/path/to/arm/root installworld

Re: beaglebone

Alex T.
Damjan, Oleksandr, Thanks for your help, I really appreciate your
assistance.

I have noticed that different ARM cpus are handled in the code with ifdefs
like this one:

#ifdef CPU_CORTEXA

and as far as I understand in order for the CPU_CORTEXA to be defined I
need to add

cpu         CPU_CORTEXA

to sys/arm/omap/std.omap. What I don't understand right now is the
following code in sys/arm/include/pmap.h

#if defined(CPU_ARMV7)
void  pmap_pte_init_armv7(void);
#endif

As far as i know ARMV7 covers the Cortex-A family. So how do I properly set
CPU_ARMV7 ?
I guess I'm missing how the parameters make their way from KERNEL configs
to the actual source code.

Thanks a lot.

On 17 April 2012 19:34, Mark Tinguely <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> export OBJCOPY=/usr/cross/usr/bin/objcopy
> export SIZE=/usr/cross/usr/bin/size
> export MACHINE=arm
> export MACHINE_ARCH=arm
>
>  I add:
>
> export PATH=/usr/cross/usr/bin:$PATH:
>
> If you are doing a buildworld, do not use a cross compiler and only
> specify:
>
> make TARGET_ARCH=arm buildworld
> make TARGET_ARCH=arm DESTDIR=/path/to/arm/root installworld

Re: beaglebone

Oleksandr Tymoshenko-4
On 17/04/2012 11:57 AM, Alex T. wrote:
> Yes you are right, I missed this step. Now that I ran it I have the
> toolchain built. But unfortunately, I get the same issue. I don't know
> if this matters, but
>
> 1) I'm not building under /usr/src. I have the source code checked out
> to a different location.
> 2) I defined MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX, KERNSRCDIR, and ROOT.

I used this script to build projects/armv6:
http://people.freebsd.org/~gonzo/arm/build-armv6.sh

If it doesn't work for you - my guess would be that
there is something in /etc/src.conf or /etc/make.conf
that meddles with a build

Please note that TARGET_CPUTYPE is set only for buildworld.
projects/armv6 is still WIP so some hiccups are expected :)

Re: beaglebone

Damjan Marion-2

On Apr 17, 2012, at 10:42 PM, Alex T. wrote:

> to sys/arm/omap/std.omap. What I don't understand right now is the following code in sys/arm/include/pmap.h
>
> #if defined(CPU_ARMV7)
> void  pmap_pte_init_armv7(void);
> #endif
>
> As far as i know ARMV7 covers the Cortex-A family. So how do I properly set CPU_ARMV7 ?
> I guess I'm missing how the parameters make their way from KERNEL configs to the actual source code.

If I recall correctly we renamed CPU_ARMV7 to CPU_CORTEXA in respect to other CPUs which are ARMv7 but they are not Cortex-A (like marvel Armada 510).

Where have you found this code? Which board are you targeting?

Re: beaglebone

Tim Kientzle-2

On Apr 17, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Damjan Marion wrote:

> I put together guide how to build bootable SD card with FreeBSD on beaglebone.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmarion/beaglebone/creating_bootable_sd_card/
>
> It is still work in progress, so ethernet driver is not complete and USB support is missing.
>
> Will be happy to hear any feedback.

Great!  Can't wait to try it on the BeagleBone I've been
tinkering with.

BTW, FreeBSD-CURRENT can build U-Boot with
the native xdev tools.  It just requires adding -lc
to one place in the U-Boot Makefile (and a sufficiently
recent -CURRENT.)

Tim

Re: beaglebone

Alex T.

> If I recall correctly we renamed CPU_ARMV7 to CPU_CORTEXA in respect to
> other CPUs which are ARMv7 but they are not Cortex-A (like marvel Armada
> 510).

The code is taken from gitorious repo and having taken a look at the
history I realize it might be  old.

Where have you found this code? Which board are you targeting?

My target is Pandaboard.

Oleksandr, Thank you for the script. I think I need to get the source new
source and try to build it again.

Thank you for your help guys.

On 18/04/2012 10:41 AM, Alex T. wrote:

>> If I recall correctly we renamed CPU_ARMV7 to CPU_CORTEXA in respect to
>> other CPUs which are ARMv7 but they are not Cortex-A (like marvel Armada
>> 510).
>>

> The code is taken from gitorious repo and having taken a look at the
> history I realize it might be  old.
>
> Where have you found this code? Which board are you targeting?
>>

> My target is Pandaboard.
>
> Oleksandr, Thank you for the script. I think I need to get the source new
> source and try to build it again.

Pandaboard is not yet ready for SD-root. I checked yesterday - mounting
FS in RO works, but RW mount deadlocks the board. NFS root should work
OK though. I'll check what's wrong with MMC driver.

Re: beaglebone

Damjan Marion

On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:01 PM, Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:

> Pandaboard is not yet ready for SD-root. I checked yesterday - mounting
> FS in RO works, but RW mount deadlocks the board. NFS root should work
> OK though. I'll check what's wrong with MMC driver.

MMC code works on beaglebone so maybe there is an issue with sDMA which is different.

Damjan_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm

Re: beaglebone

Damjan Marion-2

On Apr 18, 2012, at 7:41 PM, Alex T. wrote:

> The code is taken from gitorious repo and having taken a look at the history I realize it might be  old.

That code is really old and only reason why I'm still keeping is that OMAP3 code is not imported into SVN.

Please use projects/armv6 from svn.freebsd.org.

On 18/04/2012 11:20 AM, Damjan Marion wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:01 PM, Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:
>
>> Pandaboard is not yet ready for SD-root. I checked yesterday - mounting
>> FS in RO works, but RW mount deadlocks the board. NFS root should work
>> OK though. I'll check what's wrong with MMC driver.
>
> MMC code works on beaglebone so maybe there is an issue with sDMA which is different.

Yes, the issue was in sDMA code. Now when it's fixed I got FreeBSD
running on pandaboard off the SD card. stock PANDABOARD config file
should be modified, at the moment it's configured for NFS boot.

MLO, u-boot.bin and boot.scr could be obtained from this URL:
http://people.freebsd.org/~gonzo/pandaboard/

Re: beaglebone

Tim Kientzle-2

On Apr 17, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Damjan Marion wrote:

> I put together guide how to build bootable SD card with FreeBSD on beaglebone.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmarion/beaglebone/creating_bootable_sd_card/
>
> It is still work in progress, so ethernet driver is not complete and USB support is missing.
>
> Will be happy to hear any feedback.

Your instructions should have buildworld before buildkernel.

In particular, buildworld constructs the cross-compile toolchain
that buildkernel expects.

Cheers,

Tim

Re: beaglebone

Oleksandr Tymoshenko-4

There is separate target for this "kernel-toolchain"_______________________________________________

On Apr 21, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:

> On 2012-04-21, at 4:11 PM, Tim Kientzle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Damjan Marion wrote:
>>>
>>> I put together guide how to build bootable SD card with FreeBSD on beaglebone.
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmarion/beaglebone/creating_bootable_sd_card/
>>>
>> Your instructions should have buildworld before buildkernel.
>>
>> In particular, buildworld constructs the cross-compile toolchain
>> that buildkernel expects.
>
> There is separate target for this "kernel-toolchain"

Yes, there is.

But you have to run "buildworld" anyway, so you may as
well do that before buildkernel.  Then you don't
need any extra steps.

Cheers,

Tim

Re: beaglebone

Tim Kientzle-2
On Apr 17, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Damjan Marion wrote:

> I put together guide how to build bootable SD card with FreeBSD on beaglebone.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmarion/beaglebone/creating_bootable_sd_card/
>
> It is still work in progress, so ethernet driver is not complete and USB support is missing.

I assembled a shell script to automate building a FreeBSD disk image
for BeagleBone:

https://github.com/kientzle/freebsd-beaglebone

It should make it very easy for people to build working images.
You should be able to get started by just:
  * Cloning the project above onto a recent FreeBSD-CURRENT desktop.
  * sudo /bin/sh beaglebsd.sh

The script will prompt you for everything it needs, including
downloading the necessary source code.

Tim