bonnie++ result, can someone tech me how to understand this data and help me tunning my system a little more?

bonnie++ result, can someone tech me how to understand this data and help me tunning my system a little more?

klabacita
   Hi people.

   I want to learn how to get more from my system, I will run a new
application with mysql 5.1.30, this app is develop en .NET(I'm the
programmer)  the clients will be all windows xp boxes, with ps/2 scanner to
add, get, update the data to mysql, querys etc,etc, them reading about
performance, for a database is important the file system, I start googling
around and found tha exist a lot of free app to benchmark the hard disk, one
of the is bonnie++, I have been running several times in my system, now I
have the results, I would like to know what is the meaning and what
parameters can I change to see if I can get better results based on your
point of view.

   All my programs are installed from ports.

  I have the results in one file called bonnie-res.html, I atach the file
here, I don't know if exist a place where I can put this file to be public?
  Plus my kernel file called BACULA.

  I was thinking in pastebin, but right now I cannot run bonnie and send the
output to cvs, because my system is running the backup.

Technical details:
OS: 7.0-RELEASE-p6 i386 (Custom Kernel)
512RAM

Motherboard:
Foxconn KM400 Duron 1.6Ghz

Raid-1 with geom_mirror

disk 1: ad0: setting PIO4 on 8235 chip
ad0: setting UDMA100 on 8235 chip
ad0: 286168MB <WDC WD3000JB-00KFA0 08.05J08> at ata0-master UDMA100
ad0: 586072368 sectors [581421C/16H/63S] 16 sectors/interrupt 1 depth queue

Disk 2: ad2: setting PIO4 on 8235 chip
ad2: setting UDMA100 on 8235 chip
ad2: 305245MB <WDC WD3200AAJB-00WGA0 00.02C01> at ata1-master UDMA100
ad2: 625142448 sectors [620181C/16H/63S] 16 sectors/interrupt 1 depth queue

Both disk on different channels.

This is my make.conf file:

CPUTYPE?=athlon
CFLAGS= -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
CXXFLAGS+= -fconserve-space
MAKE_SHELL?=sh
BDECFLAGS=      -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align \
                -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
                -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
                -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wwrite-strings
#COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
ENABLE_SUID_SSH=
PPP_NO_NAT=             # do not build with NAT support (see make.conf(5))
PPP_NO_NETGRAPH=        # do not build with Netgraph support
PPP_NO_RADIUS=  # do not build with RADIUS support
PPP_NO_SUID=            # build with normal permissions
TRACEROUTE_NO_IPSEC=    # do not build traceroute(8) with IPSEC support
BOOTWAIT=0
DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes
# added by use.perl 2008-12-14 10:36:46
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8

My src.conf

WITHOUT_ATM="YES"
WITHOUT_AUTHPF="YES"
WITHOUT_BIND="YES"
WITHOUT_BLUETOOTH="YES"
WITHOUT_GAMES="YES"
WITHOUT_I4B="YES"
WITH_IDEA="NO"
WITHOUT_HTML="YES"
WITHOUT_INET6="YES"
WITHOUT_IPFILTER="YES"
WITHOUT_IPX="YES"
WITHOUT_LPR="YES"
WITHOUT_NCP="YES"
WITHOUT_PF="YES"
WITHOUT_RCMDS="YES"

Mount info:

/dev/mirror/gm0s1a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1g on /backups (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/mirror/gm0s1e on /var (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/ad3s1d on /spool (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)

I want to first get if is possible a little more from freebsd latter I will
continue with mysql.

Thanks all for your time, I normally read this maillist, but now I want to
get a little more from my system.

I will run iozone + sysbench and let u know my results to, if u need more
info from my system let me know.

Thanks again and happy new year!!!

bonnie-res.html (120K) Download Attachment
BACULA (8K) Download Attachment

Re: bonnie++ result, can someone tech me how to understand this data and help me tunning my system a little more?

klabacita
 Hi people.

  I have found a way to show u my results, u can see in the title of the
page what flags I give to bonnie++, I test inside /var because is where
mysql run.

  The page is *Bonnie Result
<http://www.paginasprodigy.com.mx/mor90z>s<http://www.paginasprodigy.com.mx/mor90z>

<http://www.paginasprodigy.com.mx/mor90z>  Thanks again for your time!!!

*
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Periko Support
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
> /dev/mirror/gm0s1g on /backups (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/mirror/gm0s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/mirror/gm0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/mirror/gm0s1e on /var (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad3s1d on /spool (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
>
> I want to first get if is possible a little more from freebsd latter I will
> continue with mysql.
>
> Thanks all for your time, I normally read this maillist, but now I want to
> get a little more from my system.
>
> I will run iozone + sysbench and let u know my results to, if u need more
> info from my system let me know.
>
> Thanks again and happy new year!!!

Re: bonnie++ result, can someone tech me how to understand this data and help me tunning my system a little more?

    Other thing is that we are using myisam in mysql.
    Just to correct one thing, "I'm not the programmer".
    Thanks!!!

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Periko Support
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
>> devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
>> /dev/mirror/gm0s1g on /backups (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
>> /dev/mirror/gm0s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
>> /dev/mirror/gm0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
>> /dev/mirror/gm0s1e on /var (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
>> /dev/ad3s1d on /spool (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
>>
>> I want to first get if is possible a little more from freebsd latter I
>> will continue with mysql.
>>
>> Thanks all for your time, I normally read this maillist, but now I want to
>> get a little more from my system.
>>
>> I will run iozone + sysbench and let u know my results to, if u need more
>> info from my system let me know.
>>
>> Thanks again and happy new year!!!

Re: bonnie++ result, can someone tech me how to understand this data and help me tunning my system a little more?

Freddie Cash-8
On December 29, 2008 5:50 pm Periko Support wrote:
>    I want to learn how to get more from my system, I will run a new
> application with mysql 5.1.30, this app is develop en .NET(I'm the

Are there specific features in MySQL 5.1.x that you need to use, that are
not available in MySQL 5.0.x?  If not, you should look at moving back to
5.0.x.  Kris Kenneway did several different benchmarks of various versions
of MySQL on FreeBSD 6 and 7 and found MySQL 5.0.x to be significantly faster
than 5.1.x, especially on 8+ core systems.

http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/mysql.html
http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/7.0%20Preview.pdf
http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/7.0%20and%20beyond.pdf
http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/Filesystem%20Performance.pdf

You should also consider moving to the InnoDB backend instead of MyISAM.
The days when MyISAM is faster then InnoDB for all but the simplest of
queries is long gone.

--
Freddie

Re: bonnie++ result, can someone tech me how to understand this data and help me tunning my system a little more?

klabacita
  I'm not the developer, I don't know how to answer u the question. But I
will test both version using mysql 5.0/5.1 with InnoDB and see who give
better performance.

  Now, about my bonnie++ results, some one what is the meaning, thanks!!!